White Bordeaux and Premox

I agree with Keith. White Rhône can go through a strange phase that to me is easily distinguished from premox. When it turns brown and tastes like overcooked sherry, it’s dead. Had 2 bottles in a case of 1995 Beaucastel VV start to turn brown in 2008 so I held them to see if it would reverse. One in 2012 was dead while its case-mates remained fine. I held the second until 2019. It was even darker and DNPIM nasty. N of only 2 and I won’t say it can’t ever happen but the number I’ve seen reverse by following a dark bottle longitudinally is zero.

I’ve wondered this too. There is no way anyone can know if a given bottle “reverses” oxidation. The other thing about Rhones is that even some of the immature aromas (like straw) overlap with some characteristics of oxidation. We had a pretty stunning 1994 Beaucastel Blanc a few years ago and it took me a while to convince myself it wasn’t oxidized… which I was expecting based on some pretty brutal 1995 and 1996 experiences.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1991338#p1991338

Surprised no one else dug this up:

There are roughly 30-40 millions bottles of white Bordeaux produced a year vs roughly 120 millions of white Burgundy.

Andy, but at the top the numbers are very, very different. There are hundreds of cases of LMHB Blanc and hundreds of bottles of many examples of grand cru white burgundy.

But there hundreds of different wines from Grand Cru white Burgundy vineyards, and probably another 1000 1er wines that one would consider cellaring. There are maybe 10-12 producers in dry white Bordeaux on that level. Actually that might be stretching it. HBB, LMHB/Laville, Pavillon Blanc, DDC, Pape Clement, Ygrec, maybe Carbonnieux and SHL. I don’t think most people are cellaring La Louviere, Fieuzal, etc. Who am I forgetting? The vast majority of white Bordeaux is simple Bdx blanc, Entre deux Mers, etc. I think Bonneau du Martray CC is bigger than any of the ones I mention, and Drouhin/Laguiche Montrachet is probably more than HBB and Laville/LMHB combined.

Thanks Dale! That’s good info I didn’t realise. I would still expect to have come across more TNs here for those whites, but as this thread shows there are quite a few here who buy them and perhaps I have been inattentive. And helpful to be forewarned lest I get tempted by LMHB.

Yes, but I haven’t seen it or heard any reports of it in German or Austrian Rieslings.

I also think the whole reversal of oxidation idea is a myth. I understand awkward phases, but oxidized or whatever premox is are something else. I doubt they get better when that’s what’s happening. Of course, “common knowledge” and all that… It’s interesting to me that people take producers’ word for it on something pretty outlandish given what most producers in Burgundy said about premox for so long.