Which Winery's ship with Egg Carton shippers?

Truther’s pileon hitsfan

Lots of deliveries here and almost all where cardboard. I’ve not noticed that any wine has come damaged when shipped this way. In fact styrofoam inserts are often broken and thus offering very little protection.

I don’t think that a crack in the styrofoam usually undermines the protection it provides. It still will protect from crushing drops.

Andrew, yes, I agree, but I think the OP was worried about heat.
In any case cardboard inserts to me seem better for protecting glass as well.
Of course, I’m lucky that most of my wines get shipped over night or two day and thus don’t get the serious treatment.

Does anyone use Kleenex shippers?

Yes, I receive lots of shipments packed in Kleenex.
I find that I am unable to re-use the Kleenex because it is usually soaked in wine.
Phil Jones

I prefer the egg crate shippers. I despise having to try and remove those tiny Styrofoam pills from so many of the wine bottles I receive. They stick to my hands and if you can get them off, they fly everywhere. Beyond a nuisance. I can’t put the foam in my recycle bin either. No one wants it. It takes up a lot of space in my trash receptacles too.

Hate styro unless I’m getting wine in iffy weather - even then I’m not totally convinced of the benefit. Much rather have a bit of the dust to wipe off from the egg cartons than those damn styro balls. I’ve been caught by my wife vacuuming bottles like a psychopath more than once to get those off.

Red Stitch and Kosta Browne use pulp. Red Stitch I know does their own shipping. Not sure about KB.

There have been a number of “upgraded” styro packing options with slots for ice packs, double thickness styro six packs with ice pack slots, etc. Pulp is cheap compared to Styrofoam shippers and some fulfillment centers are taking full advantage of the reduced cost to be competitive in pricing.

While we use primarily styro, I have to admit pulp shippers generally hold up better than styro. I complain about how much space the pulp takes up in the recycle bin. I keep forgetting how long it takes to tear apart a styro 12 pack after the bottoms and tops are blown out from rough handling by the Samsonite gorilla. We also use bubble wrap to reduce those blow outs when we ship. We have yet to lose a bottle due to breakage by normal handling, (We lost two cases in a train wreck, but I don’t think that counts). We’ve lost bottles to cold but none to heat yet. We’ve lost one case of wine we bought from somebody who shipped it in pulp and none shipped to us in styro, even though the bottoms and tops were blown out upon arrival.

Yep. [cheers.gif]

I’ve got no solution to the recycling or bulkiness problems with Styrofoam, but to clear the little pills from the bottles, blow on them like blowing out the candles on a cake. The bits drop off into the underlying crate without getting stuck on your hands or clothes. Takes two or three breaths for most bottles. I’m not sure why this works, maybe the humidity reduces the static charge, but it does.

Recent shipments in egg carton and cardboard were from Dirty & Rowdy, Inman, Massican and Idlewild.

I think the list of those using non-recyclables is getting slim.

Unti
Briceland