Which wine purchases have severely backfired on you?

2005 Bordeaux at the wrong prices. . . I was just getting into wine. What did I know. . . [cry.gif]

Most 1983 Burgundy.
Most 2004 Burgundy.
Most post 1994 white Burgundy that I age.
Most California Cabernet not named Ridge or Montelena that I age.

Yup, got suckered too. No acidity what so ever, just a marmalade mess.
The 2001 and 2004 Brunelli, delicious upon release, very rustic with a few years on them.

lots of purchases from Garagiste

My first case purchase of a single wine bit me. I had drunk most of the vintages from 2005 through 2011 and liked them.

2012 Caymus 40th.

01 Aussies followed closely by 07 Cdp.

flash sale buys from unknown producers.

Tried a bunch of the 04s and found them sorta fruity and flabby.

Until they arrive…my Premier Cru orders.

2003 CDP…at least the ones I bought.

A case of 1997 Freemark Abby Cabernet that had some serious saline funk to it that never went away.

2012 Sojourn Silver Eagle Pinot (something about it is off to me, quite angular and a funky aftertaste). I love Sojourn but this bottling hits my palate in the wrong way. All my bottles gave me the same bad experience.

Wow this thread makes me forgive myself. Already mentioned above are 2001 Oz (but not 2002), 1990 Suduiraut halves, 2002 Fevre (but the ones that survive are magnificent). Three others listed above where I only got burned a little. I will add any Bordeaux variety wine that has a high score from both Tanzer and Parker that turns out to be spoof.

2002 Huet

They were so good…

And of course the unpoxed bottles still are.

I have some 750s that were never that stellar either.

I also agree with Behrens and Hitchcock. Terrible flaws from the purple corks they used, and I’m glad I only had a case or so to throw away.

Damn, I just picked up a 2002 Huet at a good price. Guess I’ll open it tonight.

about 50 cases of mostly grand cru 1996 white Burgs. Fabulous vintage that I thought would be the cellar backbone for thirty years. You know the rest of the story.

Moelleux seems least affected, Demi sec the most if that helps

They starting switching back to regular cork in 2003 and 2004 was the first “clean” vintage. I see a lot of pre-2004 on the secondary market and it’s almost always completely unrecognizable as wine when drunk. That said, I’ve managed to score some sweet deals on 2003-2006 Behrens

My worst mistake is 2003 Burgundy, recently purchased at low low prices. I should have known better…

This is a great albeit painful question to answer.

1. Worst- 15 cases of Behren’s and Hitchcock’s science project with plastic cork. What a train wreck, sold off a bunch, poured a bunch down the drain, and drank some.
  2. 2nd place- 11 cases of 2004 Red Burgundy. Sold off some, holding some for a miracle to happen.
  3. 3rd place- 1.5 cases of the 1978 and 1985 Adrien Belland concoctions that Kyle Smith was peddling from WHWC. I’d love to do a chemical analysis to find out what the heck is in these, they taste like I imagine industrial solvents would taste if I ever drank some.