Which vintages of red Burgundy are you drinking in 2019?

This is where different concepts are getting confused. 2005s, which hopefully will eventually be great, right now should not be touched because they are too young and very primary. 2004s shouldn’t be touched because most of them taste awful and likely always will.

When 2000s first came out, they seemed light - very light. They put on weight about a year or two after release and began tasting better than I thought they ever would. Same thing has happened with other Burgundy vintages like 1980, 2001 and 2007. I am wondering if it is happening with 2017, which is getting better reviews than I would have thought when I tasted some in barrel last summer.

So, yes, I believe that 2000 is a very good vintage. I went through mine long ago and wish I had purchased more. Right now, if I was looking for a wine to drink tonight on say a restaurant wine list, I would feel that the odds are more with me with a 2000 than with a 2005.

I have had a lot of really good 1996s. I think whether you like 1996s depends a lot on how you feel about acidity. If higher acidity puts you off, it will come across as an incredibly overrated vintage. However, if you are a German wine lover, if you believe that 2009 Bordeauxs are flabby, etc., you might find the higher acidity in 1996s resulting in incredibly fresh and food friendly wines with good fruit and long finishes. Of course, like everything in Burgundy, a view of the vintages can be very dependent on which producers and wines you have tasted.

Opened a 2010 Barthod Bons Batons last night. This took awhile to open up but built up intensity in the glass and was singing after being open for an hour or two.