Which producers release well aged wines?

Several top champagnes, of course

Roagna. Clos Rougeard. Domaine de la Chevalerie.

Marcassin here in CA.

Olga Raffault regularly releases 15 year old wines. Released the 2004 last year for example. This is fairly regular and not just a one off or library.

1 Like

Scherrer releases older wines.

What is well aged? A couple from Napa: Robert Craig annually has a 7- and a 10-year release on their website. Beringer pretty much always has PR cabernet (currently back to 2013, so 5 vintages vs current release) available on line. Keenan’s library is usually posted. Sure there are more.

Alpha Omega has been doing some “library” releases with their wine club shipments this year.

Wines like Vin Jaune, Château-Chalon and Frasqueira Madeira have to be quite old by the law when they are released, so virtually all the producers making wines in these styles.

Ployez hasn’t released the 2004 Liesse d’ Harbonville yet AFAIK. But I think it’s coming soon. 1996 was released at 17. 2000 around the same. I haven’t seen 2002 but I think it was released during COVID along with some 1996 Mags.

Current most recent release Picasses is ‘14 with ‘15 coming (here?). But that’s still about three years behind everyone else. And you are absolutely right that they purposefully hold back wine in bottle for intended late releases. I recently bought some of the late release 2004 halves.

I’m almost exclusively seeing the 15 now, so looks like it’s out. Didn’t know about the '04 halves, thanks for the heads-up!

Does Simard count?

If you want to get into the really weird, there is Domaine Comte Abbatucci in Corsica, whose Ministre Imperial wine used to be an NV blend that includes a variety of older vintages. I do not remember the details because I got them from the owner when I met him at Zachy’s many moons ago, but the website reports that the wine includes Sciaccarellu, Niellucciu, Carcajolu-Neru, Montanaccia, Morescono, Morescola, and Aleatico. They now seem to offer a vintage version, so they may no longer offer the older NV blend.

I bought a 2007 magnum of Les Picasses in 2013 and I think that was a current release. I am waiting for Alf to come to NY so that I can open it for him. Seems like just the kind of wine he would like. The most recent CT note on it starts with “Notes of manure.”

Caves Sao Joao in Portugal. Still selling the 1970’s.

Lauer releases their sekt with quite a bit of age. 2001 was just released last year.

I don’t think this is what you had in mind when you specified “release”, but might get you to the same spot. Togni (Napa) usually sells 3 diff vintages of their main cab on their website each year. The current release (2018), one that’s aged 10 years in their cellar (2010), and another that’s aged 20 yrs (2000). The older bottles aren’t special bottlings as far as I know, just ones that they held at the winery.

Don’t a number of wineries sell “library” selections. I think Chateau Montelena does and I believe that Mt. Eden does as well.

1 Like

Well maybe not much with 20+ years but I always though Ojai has some nice library offerings and the wines are terrific.

Reckless

I believe the 2004 Liesse d’Harbonville has been released. I ordered a few months ago but they may not have arrived yet.

1 Like