Which Phelps Insignia will age better: 1999 or 2001?

Thanks a bunch, Drew. I posted the question here specifically because I’d bet that this group, collectively, has far more wine experience than most I’d get if I called Phelps myself.

'01 is a better wine , now by far .

My wife’s sold Phelps since before the 99 released. She’d tell you to cellar the 2001 and drink the 99. That said, if you get beyond the front desk at Phelps, the educators there are VERY savvy.

Of the usual suspects from my cellar over the last 5 years, I can’t recall any 1999 Cabs I wanted to backfill. Caymus SS, Arrowood RS, Silver Oak, and Shafer were all lesser wines than their cousins from 1995 and 2001.

had both '99 and '01…i will go with '01

Great advice, All, thank you. I plan to age a mag of 2002 Montelena Estate for the same reasons (not the ideal vintage, but found a great price several years back). The 2001 it is!

Had the '99 from Mag for Super Bowl, drink up. Good, but lean and dry, more acid driven then fruit driven. Good, but not great.

I had the 199 Phelps Insignia from a 750 last night and it was lovely. Upon opening, there was a little funkiness that blew off in a matter of minutes. And for maybe 15 minutes the nose and the taste were somewhat muted, but after that it really blossomed.It was fresh and balanced with a dark berry flavor. Over the course of the two hours we had with it, it would get a little spicier, then a little more floral, but the blackberry/blueberry flavor was front and center the entire time.

This is not a wine to age. It is ready right now, maybe just past its peak, and it will last a few more years, but it really should be drunk up now. 93 points

2001 is likely to be the one you want. But even better, find a 1994. They are available at auction. A really nice wine. Why wait to age the wine when someone else has already done it for you?

I had the 1999 Phelps Insignia last night. It was a really lovely bottle of wine. I did not find the wine lean and dry at all. I was actually surprised at how well it was drinking. It was medium bodied but loaded with fresh black cherry and was drinking quite young. I felt the wine’s focus was the black cherry notes, with hints of savory, sage, and fading french oak notes that rounded out the wine. The tannic structure is faded, but the wine is still well balanced. I found it very enjoyable and generous, and in the 93 point range.

Near and dear to my heart, the 99 Insignia was my “Ah ha” moment in wine on my Honeymoon, at Phelps, in 02. That being said, I think the wine probably peaked 3 or 4 years ago. Drank my last one (a Magnum) about 18 months ago, and we felt like it had peaked. Over the course of a long meal the wine evolved, but never put on weight, just began to show signs of becoming an older Cali cab…some people love that. The 2001’s seems to have just shed their baby fat, and have a very long life ahead of them (Wish I had more than the 3 I do), and the 2002’s are also going to age well for years to come.

Buy two more, drink those two. Store the originals.

While you can’t ever be sure, the expected value of the 01 being the correct choice greatly exceeds the 99

I am in total agreement with Howard here, I have had several Insignias from 1994 and after, and was struck by the fact that they had softened with time, the tannins were easier the fruit softer, but the wines seemed remarkably simple for an aged Cabernet. The two bottle flight of 1994/1995 I had a month ago was disappointing, and I saw little point in giving either much more time.

That being said, there are plenty of people who will like the mature versions of these wines, but these are not the old style Cabs mentioned by the OP. If you are wanting to get that kind of wine, there are some good suggestions here. I would add Togni, which seems to age nicely.

A UK political journalist and I went to Cafe China last night, and I opened a 1999
St. Supery Rutherford Limited Edition. It was spectacular.

I tend to agree with Howard Cooper. The reserve bottlings of many California
wineries are overpriced versus what non-reserve bottlings can deliver for
MUCH less money. In this exception, the reserve bottling was not overpriced.