Which Chenin Blanc are you drinking?

What Jim said. The 2012 is special. The 2014 is also very good but obviously a lot younger.

Tom

Alas I have to report on a non show-stopper but have to wonder about an off-bottle maybe!

2012 Frederic Mabileau Anjou Les Rouilleres

Small plot, known as a good Bourgueil producer, 12% alc, good cork.
Verging on a light gold color. Wet wool for sure on the nose, apple, pear, no honey.
Initial entry thought is lacks some vibrancy and not a great finish. Did I hold on to this too long? Seems to lack balance generally, some sweetness on the finish but overall just so-so.

I know he is controversial, but the two greatest Chenins I ever drank were Joly’s Coulee de la Serrant. Had the 06s about 2 years ago which were fantastic and still have some more in the cellar.

Not sure if exploring is the right term for those two - maybe unicorn hunting? [highfive.gif]

Should we all also think/discuss/explain the “wet wool” aspect of CB? Just found this doing a google!

Even wet wool in some Burgundy pileon .

2014 Chateau de Breze’ Clos de Midi from Saumur. Terrific and a nice bargain.

I don’t always drink Chenin Blanc, but when I do, I drink Sandlands. Or, on occasion, Chalone old vine or Madeleine (Carmel).

This most recently. It was thrilling, certainly in the top 3 whites I have had the pleasure to drink over the past 2-3 years, maybe longer. Just outstanding.

• 2008 François Chidaine Montlouis-sur-Loire Les Choisilles - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Montlouis-sur-Loire (5/21/2017)
    god, is this good. The acidity here remains electric, with lemon through the finish. Honeyed edges, with green apple, mineral and nectarine. Gorgeous. This is a 2008, and it’s drinking like it was just put to bottle. No oxidation here, no fade, just perfect.

Posted from CellarTracker

I posted notes on 5 Chenin Blancs (a 1990, 2 1997s, a 2009 and a 2010) from Saturday night at TN: BeaujoLoire Blowout - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers. I also had a deceased 1994 Coulee de Serrant on Friday.

had a 2014 mark angeli les fouchardes yesterday

Really enjoying the Guiberteau wines for the past couple of years. This includes starting chenins to their higher end wines in the portfolio. Have had hit(2012) or miss(2013) with the Boudignon chenins but definitely worth trying in the better years.

Also love the 2 selections of Paumanok chenin blancs. Seems like I drink them up too fast after purchase.

2014 Huet Clos Du Bourg, Demi-sec. Young but so damn tasty on a 118 degree AZ weekend. Complex citrus and that amazing huet mouth-feel with some sweetness on the finish to carry it home. Still can’t decide if it like the sec or demi more. Guess it just depends on my mood that day

Friday night at Ripple - Chidaine’s Montlouis Clos Habert 2010 - just stunning. This was off the wine list and a great example of why I am going to miss this place.

90-degree heat calls for extreme vetting, so I chose a Huet 2002 Clos de Bourg demisec. Can’t really call it 'pre-ox, because it is a 15 year-old wine. Let’s say it could substitute as apple cider in cooking. Still quite drinkable to me, if a little definition was lost.

Had a couple sips of my wife’s Foxen chenin blanc (probably current vintage, don’t know for sure) at dinner tonight. Very nice, though in more of a ripe demi-sec style.

Great posts today. Pal just back from London with some Chidaine for me [cheers.gif] .

Another bottle of the 2013 Secateurs Chenin Blanc last evening. Did not think much change from a previous TN so here goes.

TN: 2013 Badenhorst Family Wines Chenin Blanc Secateurs, Swartland SA.

Guess my third bottle. $18 Cdn, SC, 13.5% alc.

Pale yellow color, herbal mineral nose, not too waxy(?). “Ripe tropical fruit nose” comment from across the table. I found it quite appealing…quine and melon on the second day.
Initial entry thought is off-dry, good acidity, mineral tones, ripe apple, pear. Nice grip on the finish, some tartness, has held up very well overnight.

Very fortunate to have found 8 bottles of Clos Rougeard Breze 2009 thru 2012 vintages, from a reliable source, at $130/per. Considering the pricing I’ve been seeing for Breze, $200+, these may well be the last I purchase.

When I saw this thread, I immediately thought of the Foxen Chenin which is consistently a fabulous, new world version of the varietal. Billy has made a Chenin for many decades and they all have been great. I highly recommend this, but beware, it`s not Loirre like in any manner.
They actually make 2 Chenins, one is a reserve which is barrel and steal fermented for 9 months, then barrel aged in Acacia and neutral French Oak barrels for an additional 7 months. 100 cases

Yesterday, we had a 2010 Huet Clos du Bourg Demi Sec - citrus, apple, with some sweetness appearing at the end. Paired with prosciutto and cheese. Delicious.