Which Champagne are you drinking?

Dumb question to which I can guess the answer (knowing that you’ve tasted through a broad range of champagnes): have you tried 100% Chard from Aube? The fruit expression is pretty different than Côte des Blancs and the freshness is often more fruity acidity than chalky minerality. It’s not like I have to convert you to BdB but my last stint in the Aube showed some great BdB :slightly_smiling_face:!

1 Like

Officially, no (not declared). Essentially, yes (all fruit from a single harvest).

1 Like

I have only had the Essentielle and Tradition (different bases). Neither have the most Pinot character to me. If my memory is correct, the 2015 Essentielle came across as 100% chard when served blind. I would like to try the two rosés, but the price is pushing it for me.

1 Like

A recent BdB that I enjoyed was 2008 Jacques Lassaigne Champagne Cuvée 1+UN, from l’Aube. I don’t think I have had any other from Aube recently. Thanks for posing the question: I’m going to start exploring this area more :slight_smile: !

Have we done the Marie Courtin Eloquence together? The 2018 is likely a good wine to share together, as I have yet to open that vintage and it fits into Phil’s invitation.

Good catch! Yes, we had the 2016 Eloquence. I have to dig through my handwritten notes - at the time I didn’t enter notes into CT :sweat_smile:.

I’ve got 13 and 14 have been putting some age on. Waiting on 18 via Lopa, on next boat. If it wasn’t so hot, I’d buy the 17 and 18 and we could do them for B-Club. Just not having anything shipped to me right now. :laughing:

We need the halibut ceviche recipe por favor!

Here are some TN’s extracted from another thread. Friday night wine and pizza party.

2020 Egly-Ouriet Coteaux Champenois Cuvée des Grands Côtés Vieilles Vignes Rouge Ambonnay brought by a guest. My first of these, and far and away the best Coteaux I’ve ever had. Really, one of the best young pinots I’ve ever tasted. This wine took my breath away, and I came back to the glass over and over again, to swirl, sniff and taste. If I ever see this wine again, I will make sure it makes its way to my cellar or is immediately savored.

There were a bunch of champagnes. A really nice magnum of Bereche, but I didn’t note which or photograph it. Two Hebrarts from a guest; a grower I like a lot.

2016 Marc Hébrart Clos Le Léon I’d never seen this single vineyard BdB cuvée. Viscous, white fruit. I loved it, although that night, I think I preferred the Noces de Craie, even though I usually favor a BdB.

2015 Hébrart Noces de Craie. I believe the same person brought this. Dense pinot fruit, crisp, gorgeous. Drinking well now, but will improve.

2008 Pierre Péters Champagne BdB Les Chetillons. I brought this as a back up in case my other bottles didn’t show well. I should know better. As the nights go on, I always open everything. This was a show-stopper. More oxidative than my last bottle, but just as gorgeous. An intense wine, perfectly straddling power and grace. Lemon cream, warm yeasty brioche, chamomile, gingerbread, hazelnut. Serving it a little colder might have reigned in the intensity for more balance, but it might not have had the same impact.

Cheers,
Warren

6 Likes

Jean Bernard Bourgeois Cuvee Astride 2012:

Another unknown wine sent to me by Vins Rare as part of their Champagne club. This one is 50% Chardonnay and 50% Pinot Noir from the Marne, disgorged in 2023 after 10 years on the lees. Dosage is 3 grams per liter.

The Chardonnay speaks louder than the Pinot, bringing dominant green apple and lemon notes, but there is some salty peach and pear nuance as well. The palate is dense, though not remotely heavy, and has some nascent autolytic complexity. This is a lively champagne with refreshing acidity and some length. It’s a solid bottle for $59, and if I liked to drink wine half as much as I like to purchase it, I would go back for a few more.

5 Likes

98 Comtes. From paper cups on the Atlantic coast.

Pours medium gold, nose of fresh hazelnuts, some white chocolate, a hint of coffee (not from the cup. ;))

Not the greatest Comtes but a nice drink.

6 Likes

from a couple of weeks ago hosting some champagne curious friends. no detailed notes but the Egly unsurprisingly showed itself to be the class of the bunch, great depth and meunier richness. the Laherte BdB was most surprising and memorable for folks. just a heckuva wine, especially for the price still being <$50. happy to report 1/23 is a good disgorgement.

10 Likes

2006 Diebolt-Vallois Fleur de Passion.

The same honied floral notes as the Comtes yesterday but less mature. Fine, a little too round for apero? Delicious.

12 Likes

Well after many of you talking about it previously, this evening I finally got round to having my first bottle of 1911. I was a bit non-plussed at first because it was aggressively tart, but it really came round after an hour or so to being a nicely balanced, rather elegant wine. I’m rather tempted to get a few more in since I see a supplier here currently has them for about US$65.

4 Likes

With lunch at (the cheaper bistro of) Christopher Coutanceau in La Rochelle

Tarlant zero
Based on 2015. 32% each of Pinot Noir, Meunier and Chardonnay with the rest Meslier, Pinot Blanc and Arbanne. Nearly six years on lees. Very bright shining fruit, a bit of autolysis creaminess.

Lovely lunchtime wine with a large St Pierre for two.

5 Likes

Another excellent bottle from Alfred Gratien. Intense and full-bodied on the palate with granny smith, asian pear, ginger, and almond flavors framed by a kiss of oak. Takes on a bit of toffee richness as it warms, but the dosage, whatever it is, is hidden under the power of the electric acidity. A wine with real gravitas; my runaway favorite for the price.

7 Likes

Vilmart Cellier d’Or 2002
Nutty, rich yellow fruits, some oak, a bit simple? Nice enough.

7 Likes

Extracted from a thead just posted re a Too Many Fine Wines Dinner Group event where we had 24 wines in all featuring some special treasures from Rotem & Mounir Saouma and Guigal St. Joseph Vignes de L’Hospice:

NV CHARLES HEIDSIECK ROSE SPECIAL EDITION- base 2006, disgorged 2019; the yellow gold color and aromas of oxidative notes suggested this had some advancement; the first nose revealed some metallic character along with licorice and spearmint accented strawberry fruit which continued on to the back end; in time, some wild cherry/ berry joined in; it still had lots of effervescence sporting a large bubble bead.

2008 BILLECART-SALMON CUVEE ELISABETH SALMON BRUT ROSE in magnum- this is a blend of 55% Pinot Noir from six villages (Mareuil sur Ay, Ay, Bouzy, Ambonnay, Verzenay and Verzy) and 45% Chardonnay from three Grand Crus (Mesnil sur Oger, Cramant and Chouilly). 9% of the blend is red wine from a parcel in the village of Mareuil sur Ay; 17% in aged oak casks; dosed at 7 gpl; this was lovely in every way albeit out of sync in the lineup of wines with our alternating white Burg and champagne order of pouring; the nose included fresh cut rose petals, strawberry short cake and a hint of red raspberry, all of which continued on all the way to the back end; it had a creamy mousse that seemed to gain some weight as it moved through, was spicy, rich and pretty while also welcoming some nice blood orange that came in late; loved it snd if we had not had an excellent 2007 Comtes, it would have been my champagne of the night.

2007 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE GRAND CRU BLANC de BLANC- it had been a while since my last visit to this vintage and all have been really good, including the rose; our bottle was superlative giving an acid based citrus laden profile that included lemon, lime and orange peel aromas and flavors while being delivered in a creamy, frothy mousse that enhanced the sensory treats; unlike the early releases and more like a bottle I had 3 years ago, this had some power, complexity and length that reminded me of what the 2008 is especially known for which I find surprising and welcomed for the 2007; when it came time to vote for the best bubbly this was the winner although the B-S Cuvee Elisabeth Rose Salmon was stellar as well.

Cheers,
Blake

10 Likes

NV Rémi Leroy champagne Brut Rosé
65% pinot noir, 30% chardonnay, 5% pinot meunier, Base of 2020 (70%) and 30% reserve wines. Disg. Sept 2022. dosage 3g/L.

Ever so slightly cloudy, seems unfiltered (?). Pretty salmon-rose color with nearly imperceptible bead. Soft- medium mousse. On the nose it smells kind of like strawberry sour candy, with a hint of yeast and citrus. Tastes of blood orange and wild strawberries. There’s lime zest and something a bit green/herbaceous in the mid palate. Fairly short finish, but overall a very pleasant experience and a nice quaffer. I prefer this to the rosé de saignée.

6 Likes

Nice! Brig and I have had a few bottles of this. It’s for me a terrific value.

I’ll share some more of the Saignee with you.:grin:

1 Like