Which Champagne are you drinking?

1506 disgorgement, 19 base vintage.

Hmm, that doesn’t sound right. If you are up for it, check again. No way to have 19 base from a 2015 disgorgement. I mean, unless you have a cool time machine.

Can you just type the code back here?

1 Like

It’s really tricky to see, had to pull out a loupe to get it all (it’s somewhat worn out).
LR15D0619ND, I might have read it wrong the first time, thought 19 is the base vintage, or is it the other way round, 15 base vintage, 0619 disgorgement?

15 base, disgorged June 2019. So that was 2015 base Resonance you had. I’ve had that wine several times now, I posted my most recent tasting of it below, which can give you some palate contrast (mine to you). One thing I would say is that these wines are best enjoyed (at least to me) without chiil. If you chill these wines (say Marie Courtin or perhaps Marguet, both no dose), the wines to me become shut down. But, if you let them warm up and shed that chill, they blossom. I’m not gonna tell you that you should have liked the wine, or that you made it too cold, or you did this or that…we shouldn’t do that to each other. But, i am simply offering that in my own experience over these past many years that these no dose wines really become beautiful when they are treated with a more moderate temp.

• 2015 Marie Courtin Champagne Resonance Extra Brut - France, Champagne (9/16/2021)
    There are a couple of disgorgements of the 2015...this is the February 2019 (and the other is May 2019). 100% Pinot Noir, farmed bio. I opened this bottle yesterday and I had to show some discipline as it really hit the spot, and I could have plowed through the whole thing. I ended up saving about a 1/3rd of the bottle for retasting tonight with dinner. Drinking with a chill, tasting across the spectrum of temp as it warms up in the glass. I love the aromatics on this wine, as it reminds me some of red fruited preserves but moreso, the sea spray aroma of Chablis. Texturally, the fruit is round and the palate nicely mouthfilling, once aging for me a testament to zero dosage done well. There is a black cherry/raspberry core to the wine, mixed against candied pear, apple sauce and a lightly saline/mineral finish. I had the 2016 of this wine recently and while it was fine, this is at a much higher level of delicious. These can still be found for around $50 in a few shops here out on the West Coast and it's worth a reload (or try) for the pleasure it gives.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Our palates seem very similar, just different preferences. You picked up the same red fruit and salinity (you call it sea spray, I called it salt) on the nose as I did, the nose is beautiful.
The problem I have with this style is that I just don’t enjoy Champagne once it’s past a certain temperature, so I did drink this somewhat well chilled and that’s likely why all I got was acid, and minerals.
Next zero dosage I’ll try, I promise I’ll try it warmed up as well to see if I understand the point more that way.

That’s a deal. Try it, see what you think. But, trace the wine over time, started chilled and then to when it is, say, mid to upper 60s, just a light chill to the touch. See if you notice a difference with the zero dosage style.

1 Like

Indeed!
I still havent tried the Charlier Special Club 2008. Is it as good? Hope springs eternal.

Charlier is wonderful, but quite different from Goutorbe imo. They proudly use foudre for their aging and are more chardonnay dominant while Goutorbe is Pinot noir dominant. Regardless of the differences, I’ve been extremely impressed with Charlier on the few occasions I’ve had them and hope you will as well

1 Like

Last Charlier SC we had was '05, I believe? It is a different style of Champagne to me compared to Goutorbe.

What exactly constitutes ’natural’, just sans soufre?

Ugh. Waiting 10 years will be a problem due to my lack of patience and mild to moderate annoyance at the size/shape of SC bottles necessitating use of space otherwise designated for mags.

1 Like

Its a wild yeast fermentation, malo is left up to nature, then bottled no sulfur as well.

You wouldn’t happen to be the math teacher?

Extracted from a thread just posted on Wine Talk- the intro is included to provide more about how this was tasted:

Our weekly Monday night blind wine tasting dinner group is comprised of a core group of 4 folks. All of us are also in a weekly fine wine Wednesday dinner group that typically has 8-12 people and 15-20+ wines.

It is the number of wines and the blind format that distinguishes the 2 groups and the smaller group gets to follow each wine over the course of the entire evening and track them as they go through all of their respective phases and stages before they land on their sweet spot. Additionally, and also unlike the other group, there is a lot of time for each person to continuously share their opinions and perspectives on each wine and we all get an opportunity to learn and compare our experience with other palates.

The larger group has an end of the year special outing called The Millennium Dinner and there have been 24 of them. For that dinner there are usually around 14 people and about 25 wines, all positioned in the top echelon of there respective types/ classes/ genre. e.g. Haut Brion, Mouton, Unico, Masseto, Cristal, Salon, Dom Perignon, Grange, DRC, Dujac and the like.

The smaller group has only been in existence since July 2022 and during a recent dinner, one suggested we do a “Millennium” type dinner ourselves and that was unanimously accepted and held recently at our designated venue, Ca Dario Montecito.

Until we agree on a name, I’m calling this “le grand événement” as in the grand evening.

We decided one of us would bring a champagne and the other 3 would bring a top red from anywhere and all would be tasted blind.

As it turned out, one also brought a half bottle of a white wine Burgundy and that was not served blind. Here’s some notes:

2009 DOM PERIGNON- blind; following its pale yellow color came mild aromas of fresh citrus fruit which on the palate translated into lemon and lime with more of the latter especially in the nose; the taste profile was more of the same along with some noticeable sweetness suggesting to me a dosage of ~8-10 gpl, but one source stated it to be 4 gpl; {Dom Perignon 2009 - Buy Champagne same day 3 hour delivery} it had bright acidity, a light, frothy mousse and a graceful exit at end supporting its biggest virtues, elegance and finesse. I had it as a Dom from the beginning, but what vintage? I’ve only had up through 2010 and I knew this was not the ‘10, but which one would this be? Struggling to come up with a vintage, I also considered this being a Taittinger Comte des Champagne, but which one would have this profile and only the ’05 seemed likely, but recent bottles have been stellar and considerably richer and more full bodied and more complex; nonetheless, I enjoyed it and was happy for the experience and righteously prepared for the upcoming wines.

Cheers,
Blake

Posted from CellarTracker