Which Champagne are you drinking?

Based on Greg Kahn’s comment from over the weekend, Blake, he thought the 08 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee needs more time. I’d probably differ on that because I like tasting structure and not drinking wines aged anyway. How did you find the wine when you had it recently? I have two left so I’m trying to hang onto them for the right events.

By the way, the use of CdC can be confusing. I have seen it used around here for the Taittinger Comtes, too, i.e. Comtes de Champagne. I wonder if we’re confusing people with the abbreviation. I know what you meant, but I had to look at Yao’s post upthread to make sure I wasn’t on the wrong thought.

2 Likes

Not Blake, but my TN from June just said “holding back, needs time”.

I think Vilmart generally shows best with time, but I wouldn’t stop people from drinking them young :slight_smile: (Coincidentally, I think the same about Comtes.) I think other people on the forum were at the dinner, am curious about their impressions.

Well, I continue to buy and drink, then buy more of the Vilmart. Example…Grand Cellier d’Or to me are all drinking terrific. Just reloaded more 2013. I had the 16 recently, also good. The 13 CdC was smoking good two weeks ago. Life is fragile, man. I live my best but who knows what tomorrow brings…I’m drinking now, joy awaits.

Only rule of wine is to drink what you like!

At La Fete Du Champagne last weekend my favorite wines were from the Jérôme Prévost La Closerie line up. My favorite in the lineup was the La Closerie Extra Brut Les Beguines. All the Closerie wines were stunning and tasted unique, really showing a different profile compared to a killer lineup of fantastic weekend wines. Some of the amazing wines included: '12 Salon, '08 Krug, Krug 164th GC, Selosse Initial, Version Originale & '09 Les Carelles (also stunning juice), '02 Tarlant L’Etincelante & '04 Le Vigne d’Antan, '10 Dom Perignon en magnum, '12 Clos des Goisses en magnum, '12 Jacquesson Dizy Corne Bautray. What a weekend!

6 Likes
  • 2018 Pierre Deville Champagne Grand Cru Copin Chardonnay Extra Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (11/9/2022)
    BdB disgorged 2Feb2022 with 2.7 g/l dosage. Richness, really crisp pear, some floral elements, immediately envelopes by more orchard fruit. Even with the initial slight richness, the finish is crisp and clean. Good first experience with this producer, will be interested to see how they handled the 2019 vintage.

Posted from CellarTracker

NV Laurent-Perrier Champagne Grand Siècle
Every time I open an older Grand Siecle, I marvel at the quality. Elegant, balanced and deep. Full bodied, with honeyed citrus, ripe peach, ginger, and more. Mineral core, subtle baking bread, hazelnut. Judging from the cork code, this was disgorged in the second quarter of 2017. I believe that makes it either Iteration 22 ('99-'02-'04) or 23 ('02-'04-'06).

Life is full of difficult decisions-
https://mobile.twitter.com/fun4laugh/status/1590982248370966528

1 Like

‘16 disgorgement of Vilmart Grand Cellier. Finally getting a bit of development of toast and butter and isn’t just all citrus.

2 Likes

Bummer! :smirk: I guess it depends how you like your Champagne. I wonder if our resident Vilmart cheerleader FMIII might call that over the hill!

16 disgorgement…nice. in May when i was at Vilmart, Laurent opened a 2010 base of Grand Cellier. Still had plenty of acid and fruit presence. That Cuvee can age well.

1 Like

I’m coming to the conclusion that Agrapart and Vilmart don’t do it for me. I don’t dislike them, and they are obviously well made, just not exiting to me. Sure, there may be particular bottlings that I haven’t had that I might like, but given how uninteresting those dozen or so examples I’ve had so far have seemed, I don’t see a reason to keep trying.

It’s interesting that these two producers are particularly loved by several people whose taste I often share. I think it comes down to attraction, just like with people. Maybe it’s a bit like going to a party with a dozen nice and interesting people - you may enjoy everyone’s company, but only one or two will you hit it off with enough to exchange details and make a plan. Other people will hit off with others.

2 Likes

Sarah
For me, some Vilmart wines can be dull, but in those cases, I’m betting they just need time. A recent bottle of 2008 Coeur de Cuvée was uninteresting, with more potential than joy. However, some 1999’s and 2002’s were outstanding, as was an ‘08 Grand Cellier d’Or. I know we both love the Egly-Ouriet Rosè. I like Vilmart’s Cuvée Emotion Rosè just as much and thought you would too.
That said…maybe not. I love your party analogy. There are likely infinite variables, from biological to experiential, to explain why some foods, wines, music (and people) may appeal to one but not another.
Thanks for the thought provoking post.
Cheers,
Warren

I like this wine. Rich, clearly pinot with some age. Red fruit and apples, ginger, honey, hazelnut; real depth here.

3 Likes

For those that like zero dosage, I find this to be a very decent grower bottle which is far from austere and good value at ~US$36 in Hong Kong.

Sadly a quick look on Wine Searcher Pro doesn’t show it in the US, but it is available in several countries in Europe.

• NV Gustave Goussard Champagne "Purnoir" Zero Dosage - France, Champagne (14/11/2022)
    Coming back to this after a while, and a new batch for me, disgorged 11/2021.

This seems very consistent from batch to batch. As always it benefits from maybe 20 minutes of air and not being too cold. Then there are nutty and toasty notes on the nose; the palate is, obviously, very dry but this isn't an austere champagne - there's plenty of interest: notes of apples, pears, yeast (almost Marmite-esque initially); and the finish is rather long and cleansing.

All in all a very decent champagne. For me it does benefit from pairing with at least some canapés rather than drinking on its own.

The QPR at ~US$36 is quite good. (90 points)

2 Likes

Hosted a charity wine tasting benefitting my wife’s United Way fundraising campaign. Started with a welcome champagne, then two BdBs so the guests could taste and compare a US “stud” bdb and a french stud bdb.

2014 Bollinger Grand Annee - 61% pinot/39% chard at 7-8g/l, classic Bollinger style with use of oak and oxidative vinification. This is a solid Bolly GA, but not a world beater. Still, good balance of flavors with spice, apple, ginger, lemon curd, croissant, and leesy notes. Upside is really bright acidity, more so than I recall in most GAs. It’s good, but perhaps lacking just a little sizzle. Still, a very nice wine. 94ish range, and maybe I’m being just a touch stingy as this has room to develop.

2017 Ultramarine Heinz Blanc de Blancs I just don’t really get it, folks. Prior iterations of these Ultramarine wines have been lush and enjoyable, even if needing perhaps a bit more verve. I’ve really not enjoyed these 2017s and wish I’d sold them all. I’m seeing crazy high scores on CT (disregard any note with “brioche,” trust me) and I don’t understand. The nose is dominated by kafir lime leaf, lime oil, green apple jolly rancher, and, if I’m being super generous, maybe a soft floral note and some kiwi. Acids are higher here than past vintages, but to me the wine and flavor profile is a big miss, with an almost green note and dominant kafir lime leaf distracting me from any real enjoyment. This would be a score in the 80s for me, which will move the needle zero, as these Ultramarines are pure gold to the fanboy club. And yes, I bought a full allocation + extended tirage offering for the next year. A glutton for punishment, I guess.

2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs This wine is stupendous, but rich and dense. Not the neutron star that is 2008 Cristal or 2002 Dom P2, but just big and rich and loaded with racy acidity. It’s packed with flavor and complexity and a gloriously chardy delivery with unbuttered popcorn, shortbread cookie, lemon, jazz apple, orange blossom, yeasty dinner roll, hint of spice. Long and complex, and the profile is just so spot on. Goodness gracious it’s majestic. My wine of the night. 97ish.

2008 Dom Perignon
2008 Cristal
2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne

Those, for me, are the three superstars of a wonderful vintage. Wines that I’ll just stomach the horrifyingly climbing prices to buy.

1 Like

After this last bottle last week, I am in agreement. It just needs more time.

1 Like

Extracted from another thread:

2012 CHAMPAGNE BERECHE & FILS LE CRAN EXTRA BRUT- dosed at 3 gpl; made of 50% Pinot Noir and Chardonnay; disgorged 7/19; following its yellow gold color came aromas of straw {we call it hay in Kansas}, honeysuckle and musk; the taste had a streak of minerals to support the nice tasty peach flavor; it seemed to expand and evolve in the glass, while being very good throughout. We are off to a great start.

2008 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC- I had a spectacular bottle 2 weeks ago and it was the WOTN amongst 5 other wondrous champagnes, 4 white and 8 red Grand Cru Burgundy; 4 previous bottles demonstrated its power and depth, but were not close to being balanced, nor ready to give their fullest expression; as it turned out, this bottle took its time before it all came together, but it did so almost to the level of the previous one; the smoke and toasty brioche in the nose sent a nice invitation to explore and it had a nice citrus fruit profile headed up by lemon and lime; it certainly demonstrated that it is a powerful wine, fully loaded with layered depth and complexity, but it still needs more time for consistency providing such. My self speak is to hold for another 2 years or so- good luck Blake.

2006 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC- this was simply the epitome of grace, charm and elegance, almost the antithesis of the 2008; everything was mellow and yet fully satisfying from the nose through the finish; it had bright acidity, a really fine bead and a mildly frothy mousse that carried the nice citrus fruit all the way to the back end; loved it.

NV CHAMPAGNE CHARTOGNE-TAILLET HORS SERIE EXTRA BRUT- dosed at 4 gpl and 100% Chardonnay, this was really good with nice honeysuckle and orange zest running all the way through; it was light and easy on the pallet and yet had enough substance and weight to be more than subtle; impressive.

Cheers,
Blake

Todd French was texting me while drinking the 08 and 06 and admitted he preferred the 06 to the 08.

So I deleted his number from my phone and we don’t speak anymore.

3 Likes