Which Champagne are you drinking?

Most definitely I will do that. A one hour tasting is really not my preferred method of analysis; and it bears noting my TN was borne of an event more social than anything else. I actually see a lot of similarities between your well-considered note and my quick-hitter TN.

It’s too bad our signatures aren’t displayed at the bottom of our posts anymore: my most recently favored signature was a quote from Sartre’s “Nausea” — a quote which was a wry little poke at the folly of groupthink. I enjoy different points of view. :slight_smile:

I humbly suggest you try a Dream Vintage wine if you come across it. I suspect they are very similar in character. I will definitely include a Yuman in my next case.

I left a half glass of the Shaman 18 Rose I drank two months ago on the kitchen counter for five days, until I got around to washing the glass. I didn’t taste it before I dumped it, but I gave it a vigorous swirl and a very long smell. There wasn’t a hint of oxidation on the nose, the green characteristics I didn’t enjoy while drinking it were nowhere to be found, and it had this intense beautiful aroma of Cranberry. I am not surprised your wine was solid on day three.

The Feu (100% Pinot Noir) from Marc Augustin starts of with a vegetal, grassy, herbal note which seems to be a sticking point for critics. The moment however one pairs this with food, the vegetal element disappears and an intensely mineral driven champagne emerges. I like this champagne but what strikes me is the lack of indviduality, these no dosage/no sulphur champagnes more or less all the taste the same. Reminds me very much of the champagnes from Chavost, just the price tag is higher.

3 Likes

I believe for this cuvée the normal lees aging is 6-7 years. They did say when I visited in the spring that they’ll let it sit for as long as they believe it needs for each and every cuvée.

1 Like

Kevin…who did you visit and what did you like the most?

Another great bottle (magnum) of 2011 Larmandier Bernier VV du Levant. This must be the COTV for '11.

It was unfortunately a brief visit to Champagne. Just a day visit from Paris (our trip last year was very wine heavy to Barolo, so I agreed that this one wouldn’t be). We only visited Billecart-Salmon which I would highly recommend if in Epernay/Aÿ.

Here are my notes from this visit.

2 Likes

Tsarine Cuvee Orium:

At this moment in time, I own no Champagne I haven’t drank before. It is hard to get excited about this one (and even harder to muster the energy for another damn tasting note on it) but I continue to assert it’s a good wine that doesn’t get enough press.

This bottle has the smallest amount of variation of any Champagne I have had in the last 12 months. It’s a crisp, clean and ripe blend of equal parts chardonnay, meunier, and pinot noir with a 3 grams per liter dosage. It sports a medium frame, is quite creamy, and has a surprising mid-palate richness, which performs a little rope-a-dope*, before it transitions to acidic austerity. It won’t win any awards for complexity, it’s charm is in the seamless tightrope balance it pulls off expertly, but it’s not totally lacking in depth. It has a citrus dominant palate with a bitter orange note that thrills me, and also evokes lime, apples, pear, and a hint of cinnamon. It finishes with saline and sourdough bread notes. It is a good partner for sushi, sashimi, poke, and guacamole. I am happy to be done with the last of my bottles but only because my adhd riddled brain insists on novelty.

• My knowledge of boxing is pretty much non-existent. This term may not mean what I think it means and I would rather eat razor blades than google and read about it.
2 Likes

Just starting to open some of the ‘08s. The French did help the Americans. Happy 4th:

3 Likes

Double posted: A champagne party on July 3

Good friends held yet another spectacular champagne outing on their lawn the day before the 4th. With close to 20 people attending, magnums were in order and there were quite a few bottled in all and I probably missed a few, but what I did have was pretty stellar. Our hosts started us out with this gem:

NV AGRAPART 7 CRUS EXTRA BRUT AVIZE- 750 ml; 90% Chardonnay, 10% Pinot Noir; 100% of the fruit comes from estate-owned parcels located in each of the 7 villages in the Côte des Blancs: Avize, Oger, Oiry, Cramant, Avenay Val d’Or, Bergères les Vertus, and Mardeuil; 1/4 of the wine is aged in older, more neutral 600L casks, the remainder is aged in stainless steel tanks; it is dosed at 6 gpl and aged sur lie for 20-32 months; this “entry level” bubbly had an inviting nose of citrus, especially orange blossoms with a nice dollop of lemon zest joined on the palate by a spread of marmalade; it was tangy, rich and full bodied with a creamy mousse which led to a long lasting finish and a great start on the day.

2002 LE MESNIL BLANC de BLANC GRAND CRU in magnum- this was outstanding; following its yellow gold color came aromas of stone fruit especially yellow peach which continued on to be joined by nectarine, caramel and a touch of coconut; it was so flavorful, had nice acidity, layered depth and complexity while maintaining perfect balance throughout.

thumbnail_IMG_6837

NV AGRAPART TERROIRS EXTRA BRUT GRAND CRU AVIZE in magnum- this is a blend of 2 vintages from specifically selected vineyard blocks in Avize, Ogre, Cramant and Oiry, all planted to Chardonnay; it was disgorged 2 months before the release date and dosed at 5 gpl; this was really sprtizy, tangy, zingy and frothy sporting nice citrus notes with lemon oil most prevalent; it had a streak of minerals running through it along with accents of saline, tangerine and green apple.

thumbnail_IMG_6838

I knew beforehand the vintage B-C Rose was coming and thought it might be good to compare it to a 10 year old magnum of the NV. They were quite different and the contrast was interesting.

2010 BILLECART- SALMON BRUT ROSE- 750 ml; this is the houses’s first ever vintage Brut Rosé release and is comprised of barrels of declassified Cuvée Elisabeth Salmon from the outstanding 2010 vintage; it is comprised of 55% Chardonnay from the grands crus Chouilly, Mesnil, and Cramant and 45% Pinot Noir from Verzenay, Mareuil, and Ludes; the red wine comes from ancient vines in the Valleofois vineyard just next to the Clos des Goisses in Mareuil; I loved this; it was elegant with loads of finesse and charm and yet enough stuff to get ones attention and praise for being balanced and super pleasing; the fruit profile was made up of strawberry, red raspberry and especially red cherry and it was delivered in an almost creamy texture that added to its allure while maintaining a lovely balance. Impressive, enough so, I’m considering adding some to the cellar.

NV BILLECART-SALMON BRUT ROSE in magnum- 40% Chardonnay, 30% Pinot and Pinot Meunier; this was consistent with numerous other enjoyable bottles consumed in the last couple of years and I’m borrowing from recent, previous notes; red raspberry, strawberry and red cherry flavors abound; it was so tasty and had enough pizzaz to please the most discerning of palates; in the last couple of years, I’ve conjectured this house seems to have stepped up the fruit profile to a more expressive, fuller and richer style and it seems there is more red cherry as opposed to the milder raspberry and strawberry notes; in response to my questioning of the house about this well over a year ago, they responded “we use more and more wines done with Grand Cru grapes, and probably also due to the global warming bringing more richness in the wines”. As to the difference in the fruit profile, they replied “the cellar master and I both think that it is still pretty much on ripe strawberries and raspberries, but it also depends very much at what temperature you drink it, Ideally, around 9/10 °C.” I typically drink champagnes in the 8-12C range {45-53 F}.

The contrast with the 2010 was easily detected in that this was more playful and not nearly as elegant, creamy nor balanced especially as to the fruit notes although both are driven by red cherry.

2012 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC- this was my 2nd ever bottle for this vintage and the first oner was somewhat understated so I was interested to see if this could give a bit more and it did; in fact it was lovely featuring honeyed, ginger and hazelnut accented pear, apple, white peach and lemon fruit; it had a wondrous mouthfeel and seemed to gain tension over time; but then, it seemed it was not fully ready to express all of its treasures. I’m thinking let’s give this another 6 months before revisiting.

thumbnail_IMG_6847

2009 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL BRUT in magnum- First of all, In 6/21, I received some input from the house regarding the placement of the vintage on the label: “Our ’new’ Louis Roederer Cristal Label (the vintage is written OUTSIDE of the oval logo) started with the vintage 2009 (commercialized by 2017), followed by 2008 (we released after 2009), 2012 … The only Late Release also with this “new” label is the Cristal 2002.”

A friend and I were talking when this came around and we drained our glasses and offered them for a poor while we continued to talk; we were both swirling, nosing, tasting and experiencing it while continuing our conversation until we simultaneously took a pause, looked at each other and acknowledged “this is some really good shit”.

The blend is a slight deviation from the usual 60/40 having 55% Pinot Noir and 45% Chardonnay, all from their oldest, mostly bio-dynamically farmed estate vineyards out of 7 grand cru villages, plus Mareuil-sur-Aÿ; dosed at 9.5 gpl.

I’ve been a fan of the 09` Cristal since opening up the very first bottle when it was initially received soon after release quite a few years ago; every bottle has just been spectacular as I tend to like most champagnes when they are younger while still enjoying them a bot more with some age; this was fruity, rich, creamy and complex and just exuded royalty and class; it truly took it all to another level; it had an underlying streak of minerals, focused acidity and a wondrous mousse; additional accents of toasty brioche, mineral laden crispy apple and ripe stone fruit notes came in past mid palate while maintaining amazing balance. We deferred our conversation in favor of just enjoying the wine, but there is more to talk about.

thumbnail_IMG_6844

2000 PHILIPPONNAT CLOS des GOISSES BRUT- 375 ml; 70% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay, no ML, but 70% is fermented in stainless steel and 30% in barrel; disgorged October 2011; following its gold yellow color came aromas of mature yellow fruit with caramelized golden delicious apple, apricot and peach most prominent and once tasted, aided by accents of honey and butterscotch; its viscous texture extended the finish by coating the palate with its creaminess; this bottle was well advanced and yet not to the extent of being oxidized; as the one who brought it has stated in the past, “it is oxidative, but not oxidized”.

2007 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL BRUT in magnum- this had more Chardonnay than usual being 58% of the total along with 42% Pinot Noir; it spent five years aging sur latte and was finished off with a dosage of 9.5 gpl; it had been a few months since last visiting this vintage and I did so then in order to track it and see where it was for future opening and was told it can give some serious drinking pleasure right now which was confirmed by this bottle; it was superlative and to this time in the day, my WOTD; the nose offered honeyed citrus notes that translated into honeyed lemon, lime and apple on the palate; early on, the apple was more of green apple and then at the back end, it turned into yellow, golden delicious apple; the mouthfeel was fabulous likened to lemon oil and the finish just kept on lingering while coating the palate with all of the goodness in this rich and nicely balanced bubbly that has already reached a place of class and royalty fit for a Czar.

2012 PIERRE PETERS LES CHETILLONS CUVEE SPECIALE BRUT- dosage is 4.7 gpl; it was disgorged January 2019; the fruit is sourced from 3 parcels of vines ranging from 40 to 70 years old in the Grand Cru village of Les Mesnil Sur Over; I’ve long been a fan of this house and of all of the visits we had during 10 days in Champagne many years ago, this was our fav among Krug, Taittinger, Veuve Cliquot, Phillipponat, Ayala, Pol Roger, Ruinart, Bollinger, Henri Giraud and many others; I’m pretty well satiated after the last taste of Cristal, but knew this had to be sampled and to my amazement, it now gets my vote for the WOTD; it had everything and more; featuring more stone fruit than citrus, it was super rich, full bodied, vibrant and highly energetic and yet possessed elegance and charm begging to be sipped and meditated on; I assumed the position and just sat back and appreciated every sip while giving thanks to the phenomenal fruit that Les Chet gives up and to Rudolph who allows for it to be beautifully expressed.

thumbnail_IMG_6848

I’m good at this point if not at some point before now, but there’s more and I just had to take another couple of small pours:

2008 DEUTZ BLANC de BLANCS- 750 ml; never had any bubbly from 2008 that sucked and the only thing that sucked about this bottle was the result of my mouth placed on top of the bottle, not true; the wine was fabulous; the fruit profile was made up of both stone, orchard and citrus fruit with mango, apple and lemon lime the headliners; a nice accent of light toasty brioche came in late and along with its creamy, feel good mousse, it was pure pleasure.

NV PIERRE PETERS CUVEE RESERVE GRAND CRU- this is based on 2018 with reserves going back to 1988; disgorged 12/20; this has been a reliably consistent go to house bubbly for us over the years and this bottle reminded of why; it has loads of finesse and elegance and yet enough stuff and weight to take it another level up; it’s citrus dominated with lemon and lime most prevalent and a frothy feel good mousse to add to its allure.

OK, enough. Such a fine day with fine people and a lineup of tasty appetizers to seal the deal. After 11 wondrous champagnes, I have a perpetual smile on my face that has extended into the next day. Happy 4th!

Cheers,
Blake

10 Likes

2014 Ultramarine Late Disgorged Heintz Vineyard Blanc de Blancs - Disgorged Nov. 2022. This shows fair typicity for a big, rich, LD BdB, with rich stone fruit, apricot, apple tart, and Walkers buttery shortbread cookie and treacle. Nice golden color, big lively mousse. Bit of acid keeping things in fair balance. Only issue here is that it just lacks that interconnectedness, that tight knit complexity, of an elite champagne like a Dom Ruinart or Comtes. Just lacks a little seamless integration. Fair for the price paid, but I would not go chasing this wine on the secondary market at what these seem to trade for. Still, a good enough wine. 93+.

4 Likes

I love this thread. From so many posts I can’t help but note that it seems like 2007 is a vintage in which folks can find some excellent quality wines at good value.

And 2009 Cristal is excellent. It really is a delight to drink. I’ve loved it every time.

2 Likes

Last night, our last magnum of 2008 Vilmart Grand Cellier d’Or. I think I may have another 750 in the cellar. I love this cuvée. It’s not as interminably tight as the CdC, although I have high hopes for that cuvée. This bottle was still young but well within a beautiful drinking window. Lime and preserved lemon, honey, yeasty ginger. It took its place among the best bottles during a 5 day vacation magnum binge.

Cheers
Warren

4 Likes

Love this wine. Loaded up on mags but only have 3 left and 6 bottles. Must resist!!

2 Likes

Andre Clouet Chalky:

Bottle variation is a fascinating thing. This is an entirely different wine than the one I opened a couple of weeks ago. That bottle, which was fine but ultimately unremarkable, left me really confused about why this estate felt compelled to make this wine. It was delicate to the point of being essentially flavorless. I didn’t understand the point, since the Dream Vintage wines express the flavors of chalk with a good deal of intensity.

This bottle is closer to what I was expecting. It is still quite delicate, but manages to wring a lot of (delicious) flavor from the light frame. It has hints of mango and tropical fruit, a touch of nuttiness, tobacco, and an assertive saline and chalk presence. Decent length, some creaminess, and toast. This is a subtle wine and an interesting contrast to the Dream Vintage wines. I am enjoying this very much, and it is a wonderful companion to Shrimp Scampi tonight.

Did I mention this wine pulls a lot of flavor from it’s light body? It’s a neat trick.

1 Like
  • 2005 Dom Pérignon Champagne - France, Champagne (06/07/2023)
    2 bottles opened for a team lunch. First time for me with this vintage of dp. Bright yellow colour with a hint of gold. Fresh nose. Really good on the palate. Lovely balance with not a hair out of place. Very pleasantly surprised for what I thought was a weak vintage.

Posted from CellarTracker

5 Likes

Michel Furdyna Réserve BdN Brut
From half. I got this as a freebie when ordering other stuff.
Meh.
Nose of candied strawberry and more in the strawberry candy sense of the word (Jolly Rancher?). Round, mostly fruity, decent acidity, some sweetness and a tad of bitterness on the short finish. Not for me.
It was outstaged by beautiful St-Jacques in brown butter.

2 Likes

Sensational, and helpful on several I was wondering about. I bought some of the 2010 Billecart rose, but haven’t had a bottle. Sounds promising

1 Like

I admit now having a bit of regret not buying it. I saw the offering and was like, oh, now here’s some BS indeed. Ditch the reserve wines, slap a middling vintage on it, 50% more, same slutty rose. Just the wine for @Robert.A.Jr. But good, not great, Elizabeth Salmon at half the price is not so bad a deal…

1 Like

'nother 375 of Laherte Freres Ultradition tonight. Something to go with Indian, just a big glass is all we wanted tonight and the sealed the bottle back up for tomorrow.

Nectarine, apple, moderate lime and just enough roundness to feel easy on the palate but not flabby. Continue to be a damn good bargain wine for us.