Which Berserker takes the best cell phone bottle pics??

B. Buzzini remember us when you make it big.

champagne.gif

I don’t know if he takes his shots with a phone, but Mr Buzz is at the top for me in terms of composition, lighting, vibrancy, “cleanliness” and wow factor. If coffee table books ever come back, he should do one! There are many others here who also really take the time to set up their photos. For example I think Warren’s developing adventures in his photos are interesting viewing.
I think a lot of us could use some general tips on taking these photos, sort of like those tips mentioned above from Michael Martin’s wife. But I would still like to see a lot of individual diversity in composing and presenting wine photos. Education would be a good thing, but not standardization. Kind of like tasting notes - my attitude is generally not that critical and I appreciate people posting them.

Pretty much it.

Also take into consideration lighting.

Personally I was always really lazy with composition but I’m trying to do better.

My friend takes incredible photos of wine we drink, but it’s not on an iPhone. But the idea is the same. He thinks a lot about the composition. It’s still difficult in a restaurant setting. As lighting is often difficult. Lots of background noise.

So much easier to take a picture in the same place each time that’s well lit with limited background noise.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWT8NZDBzxN/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This. This is the answer [cheers.gif]

There are certain things I think you want to see in a “bottle pic” - label, most of the actual bottle, wine in glass, etc. When you check all those boxes, it becomes harder to execute something artistically compelling outside of having a good background or interesting glass/bottle placement (composition) within the photo.

He also usually makes very good use of reflection.

if you do portrait mode and top half of your stem disappears you’ve taken a bad photo [snort.gif]

I like Frank Murray’s champagne posts on IG.

Leading lines are also something that can be used to good effect.

Not a phone pic but an example I have on hand:

If ever you needed an example of wino’s OCD this is your proof. That and the glasses threads.

Miss the Michael who would take wine pics

XXX

1 Like

You have any examples with a cell phone?

me too

Not really. I’ve had a habit of going completely low effort/incognito when using my phone to take photos with the idea that they were never meant to be shared/seen. As in I’ll take a barely line the label up somewhere in the frame and just take the shot without looking back. It was camera or bust.

The principles are the same though regardless of the instrument used. A good photo with good composition, using compositional tricks like leading lines, maintaining attractive ratios of subject to the space around it, backlighting and subject lighting in balance, appropriate color, and just generally tasteful editing should be kept in mind if your goal is “best cell phone bottle pics”. IE application of general photography “rules” will make your bottle shots better. Treat it like a portrait.

I’m spamming this thread but I could honestly talk about this all day. Another good way to pose bottle shots is doing a staged “at the table” style of shot:

Always feels harder to pull off in a way that looks great but I like the more organic lifestyle look.

Nominating Dennis Attick https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=130

His pics always shine.

S

20220626_182255.jpg
I win.

Earthquake in the Carlisle photo?

Most of my better photos involved a canine. champagne.gif

U take exceptional wine pics. Stop being lazy. :joy:

Somewhere in iPhone 11 or so, this got worse.

You say bad, I say dreamlike. neener