Where's the good, cheap Sangio?

We sell it, but for the same price range as the Da Vinci recommendation you can get a family owned Chianti Classico from Fattoria Petroio.

Agree with all above that Felsina really is a cut above.

Ban or off with his head? Or both?

http://www.buondonno.com/en/index.php

The above link is not working.

For a while my favorites were Casa Emma, Villa Cafaggio or Coltibuono, but each seem harder to find in my market so Iā€™m similarly looking for replacements. For Chianti Iā€™ll typically look for a traditional blend. Either entirely Sangio or splashes of colorino or caniolo, no internaltional varieties. I also prefer aging in older slavonian oak, and alcohol in the 13% - 14% range. Prices are now too high here for others mentioned: Fontodi, Felsina, Isole e Olena, Monsanto. Each are $35 - $40 CAD, whereas Iā€™m ideally looking under $25 CAD.

I am starting to look to Rosso di Montalcino as well. The best ones Iā€™ve found donā€™t quite have the earthy, herbal, leathery notes I like in Chianti, but bring a nice red fruited freshness. For me Iā€™l Poggioneā€™s Rosso falls in this category.

1 Like

My go to, dirt cheap sangioveses are San Felice Chianti Classico (also mentioned earlier) and Felsina Chianti Colli Senesi (my favourite of the two, with a lot more earthy notes than the San Felice).

Pupilleā€™s Morellino is also decent at about $15, the Riserva is much better but over $20. Tassi RdM is good. Castell ā€˜in Villa CC is good as well.

Gary, In a plea for mercy or at least for a suspended sentence, I testify that I highly endorse two of your URL referenced recommendations. Castello La Leccia: We enjoyed their 2013 and 2014 Chianti Classico at two separate lunches in their courtyard under the trees. We stayed nearby at a very modest agriturismo and walked there on a steep ā€œwhite roadā€. Buondonno: We had the pleasure of meeting Gabriel and chatting with him at a tasting in Castellina in Chianti. We took another hike to his property to get a bottle of his ā€œLemme Lemmeā€ to bring back with us. I am going to further plead what is known as the ā€œUncle Leoā€ defense for my suggesting the DaVinci in the first place. -Jim

anything from Felsina I love. I actually enjoyed the Costco Toscana quite a bit as well, but it has some cab in it. depends what you consider cheap but il poggione Rosso is a solid wine as well.

1 Like

Great minds think alike, I havenā€™t seen Moris Farms in a long time but it used to be a go-to, along with Dei and Poliziano Vino Nobile di Montepulciano.

I was making spaghetti and meatballs for Sunday dinner yesterday, and needed a glass of vinuous sustain, so pulled a half bottle of the 2016 Nozzole ā€˜Riservaā€™ [CCR] to pop and pour. 13.5% abv, with an herbal, cab franc kind of tone to the nose. Medium body, tobacco on the palate, and overall a little underwhelming given the widespread critical praise (and commensurate distribution). A last glass didnā€™t improve on the 2nd day, and Iā€™d give this commercial effort a B grade. No sediment in the heavy modern bottle. I seem to remember the 2010 being similar in profile, the last vintage I bought this. These are ok to enjoy when traveling, or BTG/restaurants etc., but other than its being bottled in halves, Iā€™d rather save my rackspace.

I donā€™t know about cheap but Isole E Olena Chianti is one of the best to me. I am a huge fan of Cepparello. I think it is at the very top end of enjoyment for Sangiovese. The Chianti is right up there. FWIW.

1 Like

Hopefully things donā€™t change there with the new owner.

Nice thread revival. This is always a topic of interest for me. Lately my favorite really inexpensive one has been Federico Bonfio ā€˜Le Portineā€™ Sangiovese Toscana, but I like some of the other suggestions here and will revisit a few.