Where's the Burgundy price sweet spot?

I’m not Josh, but I think he already answered that question. Magic mushrooms sell for about $35 an eighth, I believe. [wow.gif]

1 Like

Tom…curious - so here are the prices at Wine-searchers.

Parent 2018 is at around $300.

I have 3 favorite producer for red Corton. By far is by Chevelier -Rognet ( judge by QPR factor only ). His 2018 is at $ 103. Des Croix Corton-Greves is at around $ 150 and so is M. Mallard - Le Rognet.

I agree with you the 2015 will be something out of the world as I only tried the Des Croix 2015 plus 1 bottle of 2015 Mallard after I got them at release. Chevelier2015 only came in Mgm…

Of the 3 - Michel Mallard…is my favorite but need long, long bottle ageing - despite the fact he had soften it up since he joint Domaine D’Eugeine in 2006-2007.

Des Croix comes every year…but not the other 2. So far…no 2016, no 2017 and also no 2018 for Chevelier and Mallard.

I was smart enough - not to let my wife know pileon - and bought all 3 them for vintage 2015.

This is some sweet Burgundy advice!

**** think there’s a point in this discussion for me where having “grand cru” on a label is just not all that indicative of the Q in the QPR piece of the argument, especially in Corton and Clos Vougeot.****

Greg - no argument from me but I would like to add : Corton and CdV…are … wonderful hunting grounds !!

BTW - Greg…if you have a chance …please try a CdV by Eugenie.

Stan - merci…

For me it has become village wines from excellent producers. I then can allow my meager purchases of higher end bottles to mature properly, while still having very good wine to drink in the interim. It doesn’t bring fireworks, but it does bring pleasure.

Best QPR for grand cru has to be Hudelot CV. Can still find it <200 which is just absurd.

Pierre Amiot CDLR is another great one around 150.

The fight club shh grand cru producer would be Coquard Loison Fleurot.

1 Like

Sweet spot is about 2-3 decades ago. Head there for good value. Even more true for the whites.

1 Like

There are critics I trust (JLL, William Kelley, Tanzer, Stuart Pigott) and if they give a near perfect score and it comes in under that, I’ll usually grab a bottle. If everyone here starts going berserk over some wine, I’ll usually grab a bottle. As long as there isn’t TCA, it is usually a good bet. There are enough great wines that when the relative price of Burgundy rises too much, I’ll go elsewhere (Chinon, Brunello, Oregon often scratch the same itch).

Btw this quote isn’t true.

You mean if you could travel back in time 2-3 decades and make your purchases?

1 Like

Far from it. Not only would that be boring, it would be exhausting. Sometimes one has only the energy and attention span for a simple, delicious little wine of no particular significance.

1 Like

Having been at this quite a while, the real value is in maturity. A village wine from a good producer in a good vintage at 20-25 years old is far more likely to be wonderful than a highly sought after grand cru at ten years old.

That is a problem. If I’m paying these prices–I’m going to be sure that I properly age and cellar it. If I didn’t it would be hard to enjoy if not at apogee. So in addition to the insane price, you also have to let it sit for 15+ years.

Yes, but the DeLorean is hard to come by.

1 Like

My answer will not be too different from others

Red

• a village from an excellent producer in Cote de Nuit (whatever vintage you can find). I would limit my budget around $75 - $125. You can drink it after 5 years and can hold it for 20
  • a good (not top of the line) 1C from a good producer in Cote de Beaunes. Beaune 1C, Volnay 1C, Pommard 1C. Should be around $75- $125. You have to wait for at least 10 years to open it, 15-20 years is better. Think Bouchard/Montille/Angerville (it is becoming pricey).

White

• I disregard village in Beaune, there is so much better value in Loire/Alsace on that price point
  • 1C of Chassagne, St Aubin, Meursault of good producers but not overhyped (Buisson Charles, some of the Morey’s, Carillon, Niellon, Colin, …). Wait at least 6-7years. You can find those bottles below $100
  • Grand cru: up to 220$
  • 1er Cru: up to 120$
  • Village: up to 60$
    White: preferably avoid premox: even 20$ is too much for pouring down the sink (although one can make wonderful sauce for food with premox…)

That really depends on what you prefer, beautiful super pure exuberant fruits or more savory earthy flavors.

To be clear, I think there are excellent Clos Vougeots - I just don’t think it’s a grand cru that is uniformly on par with other grand crus. Same for Corton. For many producers, I’d much rather have their 1ers from other sites than Clos Vougeot. Hudelot Noellat is one, for example - I think the Suchots is a better wine (and I like the wines a lot).

For the joy of pinot the former does very well, but for the magic of burgundy age is not optional.

1 Like

That’s when I usually drink a really good beer.