Where to stay in Mosel River Valley area

Bump.

It looks like we’ll be in the Mosel region for several days in early October. Any updates on places to stay and eat?

Everything is a thousand years old. Doesn’t change much. :wink:

Schanz got a third star though.

Traben-Trarbach

And this should be helpful

We’re staying at Schloss Lieser in September. It is a Marriott property.

Schloss Lieser - the winery - also has (or had) an apartment you could rent for a few nights. My wife and I stayed there in 2014. Looking at the website now, I don’t see it, so maybe they don’t do that anymore. Lovely people.

I would recommend against this. Yes, it is a beautiful property. The service in August of 2021 was absolutely atrocious. I am not a picky person. But for $700 per night in the Mosel and having very high Marriot status I expected more.

And there is no real affiliation with Schloss Lieser, I asked the wine person at the restaurant why they did not have more wines from Schloss Lieser and she said the owner of the property likes to put mostly local wineries that he is friends with on the list???

My travelling companion and I are burning Bonvoy points for the two night stay. We both have status with Marriott. Thus the reason for the stay here.

That was my logic as well. Hopefully things will have improved by then. They were still not recovered from the pandemic when we were there which was why I added the date in my comment.

Yeah, I can see that for certain. Just about every hotel experience I’ve had during the pandemic has been less than optimal. Hopefully that was it and they’ll be improved by September.

Wein und Tafelhaus in Trittenheim. Both stay and eat. Love this spot.

We stayed at a lovely AirBnB in Kinheim. Right on the river, great outdoor porch upstairs for relaxing. Perfect distance between Bernkastel-Kues and Traben Trarbach, centrally located to the best vines and many top wineries.

Would highly recommend the host if you are interested. I left a grand USD cash in his safe and he mailed it back to me.

I stayed at the SA Pruem Guest House last October and it was absolutely lovely, centrally located and a nice breakfast. Not much more than 200 euros a night. Wein- und Landhaus S A Prüm, Bernkastel-Kues – Updated 2023 Prices

Had dinners and wine I absolutely loved at Zeltingerhof Mosel Restaurant | Hotel Zeltinger Hof and Rittersturz https://www.rendezvousmitgenuss.de/

Renting an electric bike and riding along the mosel was my favorite activity of the trip.

I second that recommendation. (And there was solid WiFi/cell signal there. )

Quick trip report:

Just got back from the Mosel where my family and I stayed for 3 nights at Schloss Lieser. Really enjoyed the stay, because of the unique property, although there were some snafus and evidence of staffing shortages (true nearly everywhere). Ate a truly fantastic dinner at Schanz that met my expectations, and more modest but delicious meals at Zeltinger Hof and Rotisserie Royale. Special mention of the Weinwand Dinner at Zeltinger Hof that featured 4 courses with 2 wines per course for a mere 65 euros.

Only managed to taste at Schloss Lieser and Max Ferd Richter. Both were good experiences, but Constantin Richter was extremely generous with his time and his wines; we ended up tasting maybe a dozen 2021 wines. Highly recommended.

Finally, if you are in the area, be sure to rent bikes or e-bikes to ride up and around the Mosel. Excellent bike path network!

2 Likes

Mailed cash?

Appreciate the report. I’ll be checking into Schloss Lieser September 3rd.

LOL rolleyes

Yes he mailed cash because there was no way for him to convert it and send electronically without lots of fees and hassle. Nobody wants USD in EU anymore. It was the only way I was hopefully getting it back, so I took the risk. He stuffed it in a little porcelain trinket and wrapped it up with shrink wrap, so it looked like a normal gift and shipped it DHL and it arrived unmolested about a week later.

Good thinking.

1 Like

Thanks for this. Same here, will be there in a few days for a few nights. Need to do a bit more searching as have a couple nights still free for dinners…

Actually one quick one - are taxis available? I prefer not to drive to wine dinners if I can avoid it…

Taxis must be arranged well in advance.

1 Like