Where to keep wine purchased when tasting?

I used to go fishing with a Puerto Rican guy who loved to spend his days at the beach out in Long Island. He was hilarious. When he wasn’t fishing, and even when he was, he’d get a big huge plastic tub in the trunk of his car, fill it with ice, and throw a bunch of six packs in there.

This would be like July / August, when the temps were in the 90s, and he’d pop the trunk and he and his buddies would drink wine all day and watch the girls. They’d be out there for a hours. I can’t drink like these guys could but I do know that the beer stayed cold. So you can think like that and get a few coolers or plastic tubs at Target, grab some ice, and you’re good to go! Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

If you have to go that far out of your way, I would just keep it with you. A stryo shipper in the trunk, hopefully you can find shade for your car, should be just fine for several hours on all but the hottest days. Or get yourself a wine check, which is wheeled and more “presentable”, and just wheel it in with you.

Thanks Alan for the recs. I’ll be staying at the Andaz Napa - do you know if they sell Wine Checks at stores near there, or does it have to be ordered online?

I’ll bet Napa Valley Wine & Cigar sells them, Carrie and Randy here on the board. Or order one and have it delivered to the hotel :slight_smile:

I bring coolers with ice packs.

When I buy wine from several places in France in July/August I fill the boot with plastic bottles of frozen water and set the air-con to cold while driving. Wherever I go I park in the shade;-)

If the latter’s not an option you could always ask if they have a garage or somewhere else out of the sun to park your car at each winery.

Seriously:
if you buy one or several cases on the day they will keep quite cool inside a car IF you park it consequently in the shadow -
I´ve done that for almost 30 years, and when I checked all the bottle have been still cellar-cool.
(I suppose you have AC)
When parkling in bright sunshine it´s another matter.

In the evening I usually unload the cases either in my room (ground floor) or in the cellar of a befriended wine-maker … I have my preferred adresses …

This is supposed to be a fun trip right? Just ship them back! No reason to hurt your back pulling the wine in and out of the car, messing with frozen packs, etc. I imagine shipping in state is not nearly as expensive as shipping crossing state lines. If you are worried about some high end bottles, stick them in styro and keep in hotel room between trips. Styro is an amazing insulator for a day or two.

For many years, I have transported wines in the trunk of my car during the hot weather for up to a day in wine country.
I got a roll of R-15 insulation and put some under the carpet on the floor of the trunk–think exhaust system heat and potential heat from road surfaces being reduced. Take the carpet out of the trunk and trace the outline on the insulation. Do your trunk lid too, heavy duty packing tape or duct tape to hold it in place.
Bring a couple of fluffy quilts to completely cover styro shipping boxes and you are set after a few of minutes of work.
Yes I seek shade parking.

If you are going to drive juice home, return to the Southland with an early AM start, it can hit 100 in May. If an early start is not feasible, move the boxes into the cabin. With $7K+ in the car, be sure it has been serviced and a/c checked recently.
As an alterrnative, I suggest shipping via GSO which gets shipments through the Valley at night. PM me for the details how to do cheaply, if interested.