where to eat in Boston and Portland, Maine?

Where are you staying? I like Troquet but if you are going for food, I would also consider Craigie on Main, Deuxave, Erbaluce, Meritage & Neptune Oyster.

We were at Street & Co. in Portland last week (and also two years ago, both meals consistent). It’s definitely informal (as are most if not all of the high-end Portland foodie places AFAIK) and a bit noisy but the food is wonderful. They take reservations. Pretty much seafood only, very creative, carefully prepared. Mostly local produce. The sole was very delicate and well made. Three “small bites” (or whatever they called them) were very tasty and interesting. A very well-run resto, great organization (there were about five chefs in the kitchen area). We just had glasses of wine (I had an Albert Bichot Bourgogne Blanc '13 which was very nice), so I didn’t go through the whole list, but it looked good if not very long.

good meal at Central Provisions–not special, though. Boda was pretty good, though we got there late and menu was limited. Otto Pizza was excellent.

Didn’t like Bisq at all, though the Puffeney Trousseau was a nice wine.

Wonderful FRIED meal at Clam Box in Ipswich. Fun.

Loved Troquet–friendly place, great list (01 DRC RSV), excellent food.

Two more nights–l’Espalier and Giulia.

Glad you liked Troquet Alan, Chris and Scott do a great job consistently…

Ate at Fore Street in Portland on Tuesday night this week. This time of year is a great time to go. The roaring fires with meat turning on spits and a slight smokiness in the air really hit the right atmospheric notes on a cool, drizzly Fall evening.

Also, after a series of service disappointments at restaurants all over town in the past few months, we had a great, professional server at Fore Street. Middle-aged guy, seemed like he had been in the business for a long time but still enthusiastic and extremely solicitous. The newer restaurants in Portland just don’t have people like him.

On the food, my wife had the roasted squid appetizer, and I had the platter of raw/smoked seafood. Both delicious. For entrees, my wife had what amounted to a really light cod stew served in a cast iron pot, while I had the pork loin with purple sauerkraut. Also both delicious.

But the best thing I had was my dessert, which was a buttermilk pie with butterscotch sauce, toffee, and espresso ice cream. It was the best dessert I’ve had in Portland this year. My wife’s bavarian chocolate cream tart was only the only miss of the night (weird paring with lemon verbena ice cream), but the Tokaj Aszu they had by the glass made up for it.

Also, I had an awesome rye cocktail with maple syrup and walnut bitters.

All in, my best meal (of 4 in the past 5 years) at Fore Street so far.

I think it’s time to go there over Xmas time. Thanks, Jay…for the motivation.

Resurrecting this thread, as I will be going to Boston a couple of times this fall. Any more recent suggestions–some of these places have closed, and I would prefer not to have to go over into Cambridge.
Also, any reason no Barbara Lynch restaurants in the mix? I liked no.9 Park the one time I was there and Menton’s looks pretty yummy.

Thanks in advance!
Josh

Josh - Troquet is still your best bet for very good food and the most interesting list in Boston. No 9 park is not universally loved, but we always have had excellent experiences there, and I love the room. Mention is very good, but not worth the extra tariff IMHO. If you are looking for excellent seafood, Row 34 is always a go to.

I’ve only been here a little longer than a year, but a few of my favorites are:

• Island Creek Oyster Bar and Eastern Standard near Fenway; or Row 34 in the Seaport
  • Bar Mazana; also by the same group: No Relation (sushi bar omakase style, limited seats, tickets required) and they just opened Black Lamb (but haven’t been yet); Shore Leave for Tiki drinks.
  • Fox and the Knife in Southie
  • Among Barbara Lynch’s’ restaurants, I’m still exploring them, but Sportello and The Butcher Shop (both on the more casual side) are delicious!
  • I’d encourage crossing over into Cambridge and going to Puritan & Co.
  • Craigie on Main is still great (also in Cambridge) or go to the new Time Out Market in Fenway to their Craigie Burger stand to try their infamous burger.
  • and I absolutely adore Pammy’s in Cambridge!!

All have good wine programs. Some are focused on natural wines (Pammy’s, Puritan, Fox and the Knife), some are creative and geared for seafood (Island Creek and Row 34), while you’ll find more traditional lists at the Barbara Lynch restaurants and Craigie on Main.

If folks are still looking for Portland, Maine recs: Drifter’s Wife should be a consideration.

Thanks, Alicia and Jud!

Josh - if you do decide to cross over the river to Cambridge, do try Oleana. Ana Sortun is a wizard in the kitchen. Cragie On Main a close second.

50% of the good food in Boston is in Cambridge (I consider Somerville part of Cambridge lol). Sort of like Boston is known as the Center of the Universe for biotech, but most of the biotech companies are actually in Cambridge.

It really isn’t that far!

Although it’s 3-0 in Boston’s favor when it comes to legal BYOBs.

1 Like

Thanks, Ken,
Though, I know it’s not too far. (I think we’ll be staying in Brookline.) Are there any you would you would particularly recommend that Alice and others have not mentioned, especially on the high end? (We will be there on my son’s birthday.)
Best,
Josh

My list is petty much the same.

Just back from Boston, where we ate at Troquet Saturday night. I echo what was said above: wonderful spot with a really nice list. The food is not cutting, cutting edge, but very tasty, properly cooked (lobster not tough, for example) and pairs marvelously with the wine. The staff is a treat as well, including the somm, who would easily be mistaken for an (aging) golf pro.

We also want to Time Out Boston; our first Time Out ___ (we eschewed the one in Lisbon). I have to say it worked for us, albeit way too many options and we ended up with too much food. But the quality was generally quite high, for what is essentially a fancy food court. Not sure I like the proliferation of these–sort of like Eatelys, but to get some quality grub in a town you don’t know well, they are hard to argue with.

Glad to see you enjoyed your meal at Troquet and I agree with you on your assessment of Time Out. I’ve had two good experiences there, but agree it’s very overwhelming!!

Since the original thread title includes Portland, Maine, I also wanted to pop in with one more recommendation for anyone looking: Last weekend a friend and I tried Little Giant. It’s a neighborhood restaurant that was on point with service, food and drink (small, but really well-curated wine list). Absolutely delicious, warm atmosphere, and I would have been happy working my way through the entire list. Eager for a return trip.

LOVE Little Giant!

I was going to say the same thing. You’re eliminating many of the best options for no reason (it’s extremely close to Boston).

It was probably Chris Campbell, the owner (I don’t think they have a somm). He really knows and loves wine.

Good to know, Kevin,

Whoever he was, was a pleasure to work with!