Where are the Most off the beaten path and interesting vineyards

awesome recommendations to check out folks. Surprised no Switzerland vineyards yet? I’m pretty sure I’ve bought some wine from garagiste and Fas$ just from pictures…

Marco Maiocco mentioned Carema. Been there, love that. But someplace a step beyond that I highly recommend…

not-exactly-commercial-post: I would go further to Aosta. I import wines from this region.

If you drive from France to Italy through the Mont Blanc tunnel, as soon as you get out, there are vineyards. As you drive SSE through Aosta, there are gorgeous vineyards and views, all the way to the border with Piemonte.

A little obscurity here: Malafrena is a novel by Ursula K. Leguin, taking place in the imaginary country of Orsinia (she named it after herself), which is in Central Europe… think Slovenia. But Aosta looks just like it. Spectacular mountains, valleys and mitteleuropa scenery and architecture. Wines range from good to almost (but not quite) great. They are not cheap, because Aosta has the lowest production of any region of Italy. Italian is obviously the language, but every person I met there also speaks French. This is historically part of the heartland of Savoy (Savoie in French, Savoia in Italian).

If you go, I have a recommendation… no commercial interest.

I stayed four nights at La Clusaz, north of the city of Aosta. Hands down the best hotel-restaurant deal of my life. I paid EUR 130 a night for a room for two, demi-pension. At the time about $165. That’s per night, for two people, for room, dinner and breakfast. This is a Michelin * restaurant; IMO it fully merits the Michelin star. So that’s $82.50 per person for dinner in a Michelin * restaurant, with your room and breakfast thrown in.
Have you ever had breakfast at a Michelin * restaurant? I have, and it was every bit as good as it should be.
The room was plain and totally comfortable, with gorgeous views to the hillsides, complete with cows.

Dan Kravitz

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned Petrichor yet.

Also, another vote for Windy Oaks here…best California Pinots I’ve had.