When you don’t love enough to give Dom…

Where does Piper-Heidsieck fit into the pecking order? Always preferred that to Veuve and the “gift” champagnes.

That’s what I was going to suggest - or for @25 more, Collin Mallons (not the rose).

I think after the 2007 winemaking changes the Ruinart vintage is excellent if you like linear Blanc de blancs. Entirely depends on your palate though, of course.

Ruinart is owned by LVMH; about as non geeky as you can get.

1 Like

I agree, the Rośe is like our house champagne. I have turned a lot of non-wine geeks just by serving them this wine.

I’m not talking in the context of this crowd. How about for someone that’s probably never had real champagne? Ruinart seems geeky…(probably unknown to someone who has never paid any real attention to champagne)

Friends don’t let friends give Bouchard as gifts to someone whom would have no appreciation for such a fabulous wine.

The obvious answer unfortunately is probably Vueve, for the label recognition.

I would give NV Veuve to people I don’t like. Otherwise, if it is someone that is not a wine-geek, I would suggest vintage Veuve (not LGD). It is a huge step-up from the NV IMO and almost everyone is familiar with Veuve so it tends to shock them when they taste the vintage for the first time. It shocked me the first time I had it. '08 is really good right now.

Laurent Perrier Rose Champagne

So is Lambrays. Ruinart isn’t an especially huge brand with a massive presence in the US, it’s all relative.

1 Like

Mondavi could be Geeky if you’ve never peeked or bought off of the top shelf of your supermarket. Geez, the question isn’t for my consumption!

Thanks to those who shouted out nice ideas of bottles with “fancy” labels and decent enough wine for gift giving.

Sounds like any rose of quality will be appreciated more due to the novelty factor.

Louis Roederer Rose 2012 fit the bill, I hear the 2014 is also nice. But if you get a reliable vintage rose, that’s the sweet spot .

But NV Billcart Salmon rose works too.

PJ is more steps down to me than you indicated you want.

Vintage Delamotte Blanc de Blanc might be a fun option. People are typically impressed when I serve Bollinger even though we consider it our “big” house wine. Dethune Grand Cru is our favorite “house” wine.

100% agree on Billecart Salmon Rosé (Sarah, have you tried this?!)

2 Likes

I got nothing- Just wanted to let Robert know this might be my favorite thread title ever!

St. Hilaire… the origin of sparkling wine and where Dom learned it from maybe?

1 Like

Second post probably in a year, but can’t resist giving the definitive answer to a question on the internet. And the definitive answer is Billecart Salmon, and specifically not Veuve or PJ.

IMO, the 2008 Rose’ of this is also a really good drop and it comes in a lovely gift box/package

I went with the 007 Bollinger, which was mentioned upthread! They had one on the shelf here surprisingly and I think it’s a great combination of good wine and cool packaging, especially for a new wine drinker. The theme should really break the ice on “it’s expensive” champagne for a newbie and entice them them to just pop and enjoy without any apprehension. Thanks again all for the discussion!

1 Like

You don’t specify which bottling, but I just had the Brut Nature for the first time and being priced in the low 40’s, it was pretty damn good.

Feuillatte IS one of the ‘huge co-ops’.

And the Cave de Mailly, and Devaux, and half a dozen other Champagne Cooperatives are not anything remotely close to pedestrian, unlike Feuillatte.

Dan Kravitz

Nice man - that’s a great call! Imma add that to my gift list for the peeps who don’t quite make the Dom cut!