When guests bring bad wine

Asking beforehand is a different matter and is the appropriate thing to do if it’s a sit down dinner (as opposed to an offline). For example some friends I was having over for a sit down dinner asked beforehand if they could bring a bottle of port for afterwards. I was happy to say yes and adjust my plans accordingly. Another friend at the same dinner brought a bottle which I had not planned for and which I didn’t have room for at the dinner. I thanked him but it was not opened.

Guests, bearing vin jaune. Seriously.

1 Like

For the last decade one of my favorite local charities has had a “wine raffle” at their yearly benefit. I donate any unwanted wines and a few nice bottles. Great way to get rid of bottles.

2 Likes

My friends dad, who actually got me started on the path to wine enlightenment, had a great solution. He had a special rack in his cellar called “Sammy’s Wine.” Obviously, my friends name is Sammy. Whenever he got a grocery store gift wine he placed it on this rack. When we were not with Dr Barranco, we could freely drink from this rack. When we were with him, he would freely pull great bottles and drink them with us.

4 Likes

I’ve found this thread fascinating to follow. I’ve almost always opened up any bottle that someone brings and at least tried it. Every now and again a gem shines through.

However, I hadn’t really considered it from the other side. The difference between a host gift and bringing a bottle to share. I really like @Chris_Seiber 's comment above (bringing one bottle that’s opened already alongside a host gift).

2 Likes

I have a special rack in my kitchen for the same. But I have never realized it needed a name, I just used to refer to it, as ‘the wines under the chat noir print’.

But going forward, now that there is an official nomenclature for such a place, I shall refer to it as ‘Sammy’s Wine’.

1 Like

Back when I worked in a large office, I a few times left a box (anonymously and while nobody was looking) in the kitchen with a sign saying “please take one.”

I have no idea what exactly happened to them, but they were always gone the next time I looked.

3 Likes

Love it!!!

2 Likes

A couple times in the last year, I got to be the host on the other side of it.

We had 4-5 couples over to a beach house, I told everyone I had a special lineup of bottles to share so they didn’t need to bring any, but one woman brought a silver bottle of Vera Wang Prosecco and just wanted to drink that instead of the wines I had provided. Which was fine, and it didn’t bother me, but of course she missed out on much better wines.

Recently we had one couple over for the first time, I had some great wines opened up, but they brought a bottle of Malbec and just wanted that and drank the whole bottle between them. Again, that was totally fine but they missed out on some really good wines.

2 Likes

Chris

This is typical of my experience. Many folks are locked in to one style/brand/varietal and don’t want to venture beyond that.

2 Likes

Last night. Recommend some cellaring for more tertiary notes?

1 Like

More?

Already has?

If that is the 2021 that is the worst wine I have tasted this year and might be of all time.

First of all, I’d whistle so that my dog comes running over. I’d give my dog a nice playful scratch before locating his water bowl.

A quick twist of the wrist and a fast pour would relieve the bottle of 2/3ds of the contents into the bowl.

Next I’d wander over to the dinner table. Remove the two Zalto glasses from the newly arrived guests place setting and reset them with paris goblets.

Id pour the remainder of the wine into the glasses.

Their plates and cutlery would similarly be swapped out for bowls of corn flakes.

The other guests in attendance would instinctively know not to converse with said guests. When they said something it would be like no one heard it.

Just before they left for the evening I’d delete their mobile/email from my address book.

I shudder to even type out the horror of it all.

Either that or I’d just regift the wine at a later date :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yup the 2021. Tried it a while back and thought maybe it’s not as bad as everyone says? It definitely was.

Planning on using it to cook with but I fear I’ll still taste it somehow.

Don’t cook with that. Welch’s grape juice would be a better alternative.

So in a cruel Uno Reverse trick, I found a bag with all the stemware I had left at our friends, on my doorstep, lovingly washed. It’s like this strange gravitational attraction of these mismatched orphans trying to return to their quasi clan. (The folks I’d left them at are Waterford tribe)

I almost wonder if this was some trick my better half schemed up.

2 Likes

Interesting, I have only seen NV Meomi recently when I scan my local grocery store for the rare good wine/good value. I wonder why they would revert back to bottling under a specific vintage when they can successfully charge a premium for a ‘timeless’ and ‘placeless’ wine. They are clearly manufacturing to recipe, vintage will only complicate their process.

2 Likes

Agreed. AND it is very rare that people bring me wine because they know that I can be counted on to serve plenty of wine. I generally tell people that I have a buying problem and they need to help me solve that problem by drinking what I already have so I am net minus for the night. AND then there are the Berserkerfests where some people insist on bringing me Loire Chenin Blanc. They just do not get invited back. :slight_smile:

Recently, I informed guests that they are not allowed to bring wine, since my cellar is way over capacity and even said something like"You will not be allowed in my house, if you come with wine". It appears to have worked so far

1 Like