When guests bring bad wine

I can’t believe that the French allowed for a negotiated “grandfather clause” :crazy_face: when the bilateral agreement was put in place (or was it a WTO agreement?). was it in the early 70s?

1 Like

Great term for Xeno’s Doughnut!

2 Likes

Had to look it up, but it’s a 2006 treaty. It was the EU that negotiated it, but i’m not too surprised the US held fairly firm given its general opposition to geographical indicators (GIs). EU was probably willing to allow the grandfathered use of terms by those producers after assessing those producers’ products. (And I believe only for sale in the United States, at least not in EU)

2 Likes

Hell no, you did the right thing and shame on them. So much so that I would either not invite them
Back or have a convo with them ahead of time when everyone is sober.

It would have been different if she pulled you aside and said something like “OMG this is the best wine I have ever had. I want to be respectful of the pour request but I am so (fill in blank) I would love another small pour, would that be ok?
Or if it was a highly sourceable common wine which that is not.

Just my two cents

1 Like

We need more info was the text the next day when the couple were presumably sober?

1 Like

Cheap red wine is a glass best served cold.

2 Likes

That is what I served you at Uncle Lou’s.

1 Like

IIRC this was an ongoing issue from the beginning of the EU and Korbel was big enough to force the grandfather clause for their brand.

Thank you!

2 Likes