When did you last inventory your cellar/collection, or at least a good part of it.

Starting with the end of year holiday break, I have been spending a few hours a weekend going through everything so marked “within the last month” even though I’m not done with it yet.

fred

I’m meticulous about adding and subtracting. I don’t add wines that are not physically in my possession. I keep the email confirmations in a separate Gmail folder.

I have 2 offsite lockers (luckily right next to each other) and a small home wine fridge (53 bottle capacity). What’s at home is in a Word doc by region. Locker inventory is in Excel, again by region and chronological within a region. With some 475 line entries, there’s no way I’m going to try to import into Cellartracker. There are only 5 bottles in the lockers that I can’t account for (0.54%). Pretty sure I drank them and forgot to remove them from inventory.

Surprisingly, I did find a bottle yesterday in one locker. I thought I had drunk all the bottles of that particular wine. That has never happened before!

Larry, if memory serves Jeff and the folks and CT will help you with importing your wines into CT if you have them in an Excel spreadsheet already. If you’re interested, it might be worth reaching out

I do manual sync. Never had an issue in 5 years, zero loading time. Manual sync (I do that usually after big changes or in general every second week) is just clicking a button and waiting 30 seconds.

One other thing: There is a library of wines so you don’t have to enter everything manually but I find the library not to my liking in terms of data quality and completeness. I love having as many information as possible to every wine, so I enter all the information myself. It will be a bit of work in the beginning to set up a new producer, if you include picture of the label and bottle, prices, all geographic information, drinking windows, critic ratings and the infinite amount of other categories you want or don’t want but from then on it’s just about doublicatingwith small adjustments.

Yeah, sure it is. rolleyes

Part is in the basement and the rest across the street in cold storage? [wink.gif]

Did it once, when I was entering into CT the first time — couldn’t have been more than three to five cases. I’m quite rigorous with input/output, therefore only do “spot inventories,” such as when a particular bin is showing a number of bottles that doesn’t make sense, or when it’s obvious a bottle is someplace other is indicated. I wait a long time before fully committing to “Missing Presumed Drunk” – I’ll sometimes use the Private Note function to indicate my suspicion that the bottle was consumed but not deleted from inventory, and will then hunt a little at offsite before pulling the Missing Presumed Drunk trigger. I have had occasions where bottles previously marked as MPD magically turned-up somewhere — that’s always nice. :slight_smile:

I have never heard of Vinocell, but what I’m imagining in my head, based on posts here, is pretty damn cool. Am I correct in understanding that one can move bottles around to different bins/slots and NOT have to manually update the change in location in the inventory management system? The changed locations update with the press of a button?!? If “yes,” how does that work? That’s what your description of “manual sync” sounds like to me.

Nah it’s all mostly in one space except for some at an offsite that’s actually well inventoried, and obviously it’s not as much wine, but the cellar at my house is like the Wild West like the berns warehouse , I’ll come across entire cases of wine that I didn’t know I had.

In the iPhone/iPad app you double-tap the bottle you want to move and then double tap it into its new slot. It is very simple and intuitive.

The syncing is to sync the data with VinoCell’s server which in turn allows you to have your cellar sync’d across all your devices and the desktop which is a browser based web app.

Ahhhh, o.k… Thanks, Brian.

I want someone to invent what I thought Vinocell’s manual sync was!

I check every once in awhile when I notice a discrepancy between CT and physical inventory.

I do not granularize my cellar to the level of slots/rows/columns. I determined that would be overly cumbersome. Instead, I have general sections of my cellar that are dedicated to regions. Then, I label my wines (either individual bottles or groups of the same wine/vintage) with the hanging neck tags. My cellar is about 1000 bottles.

If I had a cellar like Bill Koch or Vladmir Putin, I might employ a different system.

I have asked them if they can add a move an entire case feature for moving bottles since I shift cases from my locker and bring them home. They said they would look into this in future updates. But yes there is a cellar or rack view and you can build out the rack display yourself. If I look up a bottle in the app I can click show in cellar and it will show me the bottle locations.

This was also a one time fee, $15 I think or maybe $20.

Twice a year usually. I am pretty good about day in and out, however not perfect. It used to be a more arduous task before i got more disciplined at day to day.

For me, I use Airtable to manage my entire wine and whisky inventory in real-time. It took a little bit of effort to set up, but it’s perfect for my needs. And way better than a normal spreadsheet.

Moved to a new home a little less than 2 years ago, and finally got a home cellar last fall. So, all the wine came in from offsite storage which was a great opportunity to inventory. First time ever doing the whole collection. What’s worked really well for me is having Cellar Tracker barcode labels on all the bottles. It took a lot longer to get all the bottles in the cellar since I needed to print and add stickers to all of them, but now I can use my phone to scan out bottles as I drink them. Also not a big deal to add barcodes now to a few cases each shipping season. This is my favorite feature of Cellar Tracker. If I’m good about this, shouldn’t have to do a full inventory ever again.

I use a spreadsheet to keep track of my daily drinking, but even though I think I’m careful I still find errors. This thread moved me to a recent inventory, and I found about 10 bottles I’ve lost track of. Some maybe I drank already, but others are just lost in there somewhere. Among the currently missing is a 1983 Chateau Margaux :scream:

Bump. I am auditing my inventory for insurance purposes. I am less than 10% through the process, starting at the front, but so far the error rate is less than 5%. I think the error rate at the back, which I can’t get too and don’t drink from as often, is probably less, so I am pleased with less than 5%. But that’s only if you exclude the stuff on the cellar floor, on the floor outside the cellar door, and in the front foyer of the house, which is not entered at all. My goal is to have an accurate slot inventory and then add all the rest with a location of “floor.”

20 years ago . . . planning on doing it someday.

You guys have much more accurate inventory than I do; I’m not sure I even know how many bottles there are in the cellar to the thousand, much less what they are.

Must be fun to go pick a bottle out for dinner then!