When a Burgundy producer's pricing increases astronomically

I am curious how many of us who used to buy Grands Crus when affordable have now trickled down to low end Premiers and Villages wines.

I used to buy a lot including a couple of bottles of DRC annually. Those days are long gone, I am living on past purchases, and apart from one or two prodicers slightly under the radar, I am sorry to say have really stopped buying Burgundy.

This all describes me pretty well. Not DRC ever, but others like Roumier, Rousseau, Mugneret-Gibourg. Now I have to see a good price at PC or village, whether retail or auction, to pull the trigger, usually something under the radar or at a clearance price. It never happens anymore at GC level.

Really, it’s the consumers, right? If folks simply didn’t pay the asking prices, then the prices would fall.

All of this is true.

Also, the more people at the party, the faster the punch bowl gets drained. When we first started buying these with the '05 vintage, we could pretty much buy whatever quantities we wanted from the importer. It’s a different story now.

Over the last two to three years, I have visited Burgundy twice - summer 2016 and summer 2018. Almost all grand crus I have purchased over the last two to three years have been from Burgundy, not from US sources.

“The answer is different in every instance. Ente, for example, is sold via an agent, Vinifera, and the agent controls the pricing. They don’t even sell direct to private clients any more. Tremblay is relatively expensive from the domaine but nowhere near what you are seeing in the USA. Producers such as Claude Dugat, Raveneau and Ramonet are actively cheap. Coche from the Domaine is 51 for Meursault AOC, 57 for Meursault Rougeots, 112 for Perrieres and 205 for Corton-Charlemagne.”

Well, seeing those Coche prices is enlightening…and sickening when I think of what is now being charged through regular distribution channels here in WA, let alone what is being charged by retailers across the internet. Same with Raveneau. Sure, people in the business can charge whatever the market will bear, but screw them and their gouging. There are still producers whose prices for grand crus and premier crus are fairly reasonable, and whose wines are excellent. And if they are not quite at the level of Coche, Raveneau, Dujac, Rousseau, et al, well, they aren’t 1/5 as good…in many cases they are just a step or two below. I am glad that my cellar is stocked with those special producers from back when, but I have tired of playing a game that is stacked against us.

Buy wines made by Pierre Damoy…

Maybe, maybe not. It’s worth paying attention to A. Songeur’s points above about investment funds (see for example his post #20). With the wonders of financial markets you can get astronomical prices free of end consumers. People put money into these wine investment funds seeking appreciation, the managers use the funds to buy and push up wine prices so they can report appreciation back to their investors, everyone is happy. It works until there is too much net selling pressure from people looking to cash out.

I’m sure that isn’t the whole story but it sounds like it could be a very interesting piece.

It would be interesting to see what percentage of the high end market is speculators, what percentage is “portfolio diversification” which apparently is not the same thing and what percentage drink the wines. Almost impossible to get numbers on this, but interesting.

Not sure you will as I bought a 3-pack for $68/bottle plus shipping. pileon

Wow, absolute unicorn now. Unbuyable on most markets. Only have ever bought the Bourgone Rouge.

Not that surprising. That price sounded really high.

Well having talked about not buying Grand Cru Burgundy, within 24 hours, I bought some 2015 Rossignol Trapet Chambertin. Good wine, and relatively cheap, but I am far too easily tempted.

It’s okay, Mark, we still love and appreciate you.

Even if none of us here have ever done anything at all like that in the past. Ever.

Thanks Karl.

“You must not do it any more,
A scheme is not a vision
And you never have been tempted
By a demon or a god.”

Leonard Cohen Story of Isaac

Rossignol-Trapet is, to me, one of the best values around today in grand cru Burgundy, esp. at the winery.

You are right; high quality and getting better. Around $250 for the 2015 Chambertin.

The value today is in Marsannay, Givry etc. Some very good wines to acceptable prices. IMO. And btw. German Pinot gets better and better. But perhaps I should keep that truth for myself.

How reasonable many Burgundies are at the winery, even including Coche, Raveneau, etc., and how unreasonable they are in the U.S., is simply depressing. I will not be traveling to Burgundy to buy wine, so whatever.

Even if you could I doubt you could just stop by the domaine and pick up a case. Although it would be cool if you could!