Whats your top 5 Clos saint denis?

Well, I believe that’s of whom Gerhard is speaking. I’ve liked his '90 CSD especially, but also his '98; both of which I’ve had on more than one occasion. The '90, more recent, was somewhat bright fruited with some real complexity and a pretty decent finish.

The 1985s were very good and well worth buying if you see them…

I had the 85 CdlR recently and did not find it convincing. Ashy, a bit oaky still, and thin.

Ah, too bad, I have had very good experiences with 1985 and considered them something of a one-hit wonder!

Very interesting, I’ll keep an eye out for more. More than possible ours was not a pitch perfect bottle.

We are planning a CSD offline later this year. Lets see which producer shows the best.

We are planning a CSD offline later this year. Lets see which producer shows the best.

So, this would indicate that, considering their vineyards, they underperform, correct?
(The chance of me finding 85’s and springing for them without worrying about provenance are slim.)

Nobody mentions Bertagna although in his Burgundy book Bill Nanson praises this wine. Any good?

I have purchased Ponsot, Jouan, Bertagna and Castagnier but have only opened the Ponsot 98 (excellent) and the Bertagna 2009 (a bit young but commendable).

To me Dujac is in a class by itself when compared to the others especially when it’s aged.The 85,91 and 93 are exceptional.

repeat

I will have to try that Benjamin Leroux and also Drouhin. I love CSD. My list is pretty close to Jon.

1. Dujac
  2. Ponsot/Chezeaux
  3. Arlaud
  4. Jadot
  5. Pierre Amiot

Lots of great CSD out there - underrated grand cru, to the extent such a thing exists. Stephane Magnien and Pascal Marchand are top notch examples that haven’t been mentioned yet.

1 Like

Does Pierre Amiot make Clos St. Denis? When I visited there in the summer of 2018, the only grand crus I had were Clos de la Roche and Charmes Chambertin. Visit to Burgundy and Champagne - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers I wish I had seen some Clos St. Denis. I would have purchased some.

Howard,
He doesn’t. My mistake. I thought I remembered my last Pierre Amiot experiences being Clos St Denis. It was his Clos de la Roche I was thinking about.
I guess my list is basically 4 in total. BTW, his Clos de la Roche is fantastic.

Is it possible that Pierre Amiot used to make a CSD? When I look on CT I see CSD up to 09 vintage but nothing after.

I bought a case of 2002 Vincent Girardin CSD at release- 6 left. I’ve been impressed with it. Seems like there is not a whole lot of CSD around or it’s bought up quickly. And, the prices have gotten whoa. I’ll have to stick with Morey St. Denis. But, the Girardin CSD has been fun!

Brothers Amiot lost the CSD after 2009 to their relatives in Chambolle-M, Amiot-Servelle.

I have only tasted the Clos de la Roche at the winery and thus have only had the 2016. Very promising, but would love to have some with more age. Bought 2014 and 2016 when I was there (they were out of 2015).

Amiot-Serville is the producer that used to be Bernard Amiot, right?