What's your take on 2012 in Barolo and Barbaresco?

Tasted the Ravera twice, consistent results. In the very good camp, and the only one in the lineup that spoke to me in this vintage. Howard’s note in CT is dead on.

Quick side-note if I may since I’m seeing the Ravera mentioned a couple times. I have a 2010 Giovanni Sordo Barolo Ravera that I can’t really find any information for. Should I wait on the bottle?

Howard, in terms of 2, analogies are dangerous, but in summarising my thoughts above 2007 red Burgundies as a comparison occurred to me … 2012 seems a vintage, like 2007 Burgs, where you’ll get a readily accessible version of a Cru you like but not one you’ll be putting away for your child’s or grandchild’s 21st …

But, in terms of 3, I don’t have much or long enough experience with this but I understand that this is possible and that lesser rated vintages can surprise on the upside with time and that supposedly great vintages can flatter to deceive … I remember talking with Mario Cordero of Vietti who was reluctant to be drawn that 2010 was necessarily greater than 2011 saying that 2010 was “maybe overrated” but that he would only be able to judge in 10 years’ time. He said 2000 had been rated as a great vintage at Vietti by Wine Spectator on release but that he now preferred their 2001s.

I’m not thinking that 2012s will be massively re-rated, just noting, as you know, that this early on these things can be speculative …

Thanks.

I’d rather buy 2010.

I recently tasted the G D Vajra 2012. Albe and Bricco Delle Viole are both nice. Bricco has more depth and complexity than Albe which is not surprising. Bricco in 2012 is forward, accessible and while it does not have the depth and layered complexity of 2010 its a nice wine to drink now and and in the near future. And I did buy few bottles.

The analogy to 2007 red Burgundies is quite apt.

The only issue is picking the the producer and getting the wines at a good price. The wines fro top producers such as Bartolo Mascarello, G Conterno, etc are unlikely to be at 2008/2009 pricing.

No Monfortino in 2012 and no Francia in 2013. One can only guess what the prices will be lke.

That sounds quite promising. I have a mixed case of Schiavenza’s 2012 Barolo (four bottles each of the three single-vineyard bottlings) that we picked up when we passed by the winery this past summer. Since both we and Walter were very pressed for time at that point, we didn’t even taste them prior to purchase but simply took our chances that Schiavenza will deliver the way they usually do. Did you go for a tasting session there and if so, what’s your impression of the three (Broglio, Ceretta, Prapò)? Right now, I can’t even taste what we bought since it’s in far-away offsite storage.

I will be in Langhe//Piemonte/Toscana from 4 Dec till 1 Mar (have done every season, many times, but not the dead of winter, yet), so if you have requests re: 12, 13 or anything else, let me know. PM might be best. My only purpose there is wine, it’s not a vacation. I will probably make one flight down to Etna, likely to stay for 2-3 weeks or so, requests welcome.

And let me just say up front, while many/most will say 14 is a disaster, and it was more than challenging, there will, nevertheless, be some really great wines. Just saying.

Good point on 14. 14 was only a partial disaster based on what I heard from producers when I was there a few weeks ago. More of a disaster for Dolcetto and Barbera which pick earlier than Nebbiolo. Roberto Conterno told me there will be Monfortino in 14, and that it will be better than 10 or 13. It was highly dependent on whose crop was hit hardest by hail. If I recall, Cavallotto lost most of their Nebbiolo and won’t bottle Barolo. But those who have Barolo in 14, though yields will be down, may produce some high quality wines.

FWIW, the 2012 Burlotto Monvigliero is as elegant and flavourfull as you’d expect. Off course the remaining half bottle much better 24 hours later. Great wine

Indeed! The Fratelli Alessandria Monvigliero is lovely, too.

1. He did taste more widely, but I also tasted at several places he did not. I think the difference might be explained by two other factors: (a) Timing. After my last post here, Enrico Dellapiano at Rizzi in Treiso said that the 2012s show much better now than they did a year ago. Greg’s piece was published in May, so I assume it reflected tastings in the spring or earlier. (b) In addition, Greg was countering some unspecified laudatory reviews. I’m not sure who those critics were, though. He seemed intent on batting down the notion that this is a great vintage. I don’t think it’s a vintage for the ages. I just thought there were a lot of elegant wines that showed real complexity and will be very satisfying for many years even if they are not built for the ages. I strongly disagree with his ranking it near the bottom tier of vintages in recent decades.

2. I had essentially no experience with those Burgundy vintages young. I’m inclined to say no, however, because I thought most of the '12s I tasted in the Langhe were better than just restaurant vintages. I didn’t find the middle palettes missing at all. My recollection is that 2000 and 2007 in Burgundy were kind of dismissed early on as being lacking in general; not having any great virtues other than being affordable on restaurant lists.

3. Some nebbiolos do put on weight. (Marcarini’s wines are the best examples of this I know.) This could go back to the timing of the tastings, as I mentioned above in (1). They may just show better now than they did six months ago.

Knowing your love of Burgundy, Howard, I think you might want to check out the '12s. I’d be curious to hear your reactions.

Any good Nebbiolo while you were trouncing around through Turkey?

No. We drank Massolini Bonardo from Oltropa Pavese with dinner at home last night in Istanbul.

If you want a Burgundy-like Turkish wine, try the Kalecik Karasi “Prestige” from Kavaklidere, the biggest winery in Turkey:
http://www.mozaikgmbh.com/tr/urunler-kavaklidere-prestige-kalecik-karasi.html

It comes from near Ankara, in north-central Anatolia, but is surprisingly feminine – even Burgundian. It’s $30 in the US: http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/kavaklidere+prestige+kalecik+karasi+turkey/1/usa

Mr. Wright carries it in NYC, though that’s not showing on W-S.

As a cross-reference, I’m posting more extensive tasting notes from my trip in this thread.

Reading over Greg’s notes again, a lot of the producers he covered are less well known. He was relatively enthusiastic about some of the wines I liked, but not across the board. In the thread on my trip, I’ve included links to his notes where we tasted the same wines, as well as links to Daniel’s, Howard’s and Ken’s notes so people can see where there was agreement and where there were divergent impressions.

I am a relative newcomer to Barolo/Barbaresco having only collected a handful of bottles prior to the 2006 vintage, however my generalised thoughts stem from drinking a lot of Nebbiolo over the last 2 years and spending 2 weeks in Piedmonte.

Firstly I would say that on the whole, 2011 had a lot of ripe flavors and many wines showed a bit of alcohol heat which I struggle with. So unlike 2010, I was very picky in 2011 and did not buy much - from what I tasted, I felt that only Bartolo Mascarello Barolo 2011 and Massolino Barolo ‘Parussi’ 2011 showed the kind of balance and freshness I’m looking for. On the Barbaresco side, most producers were already onto their 2012s for my visit so I have less exposure there.

2012 on the other hand is wonderfully perfumed and shows tremendous acid balance. I think that on the whole the vintage drinks very well young (assuming you pop and pour and enjoy the floral aromatic ride over 2-3 hours max). I cant really comment on ageability since I lack the experience, however if cellaring Aussie wines has taught me anything, its that balance in youth trumps all.

Thanks for the report on the Produttori del Barbaresco–just picked up a few mags of the '12. Will hold a few years before popping one then.

I want that last phrase on a t-shirt, I agree completely.