What's you favorite Vegetarian-qualifying food?

I do not do meat substitutes. There is a chipotle black bean burger that they sell at Costco that I buy for myself because I like it and I may bring a few of those, but I do not consider them a meat substitute. They are just a good vegetable patty, like eating Pakoras made from ground up rather than whole sliced veggies.

Make pesto and have at the ready. Serve with pasta, sides of cherry tomatoes, perhaps salad. None of this is real wine friendly, so just go with beer or Champagne.

All the Indian stuff sounds luscious but time-consuming and not beverage-friendly. I make pesto, stuff it in the freezer, and the day I want to use it, I just let it thaw on the counter. Can’t microwave because the cheese will gum up. I know some people like to leave out the cheese and the oil and freeze in ice cube trays, but this creates small amounts and gives you more last minute work to do.

Yeah, the best versions would take a little too long, which is why I said a simplified recipe. Or do the cutting at home first. I’ve cut corners on it before and it’s still be great as long as the vegetables you start with are good.

I make vegetarian chili all the time and the boys have no idea it’s not meat based. To thicken it and make it hearty, I take an immersion blender to a can of beans and stir that in. I’ve also been known to add:

Peeled, chopped broccoli/cauliflower stems
Pureed roast beets for a touch of sweetness to temper heat
Leftover veggie burger or sausage patties chopped in the food processor to mimic beef

If anybody ever clues them in, we’re going to have words [wink.gif]

Thomas Keller’s summer vegetable gratin is excellent. Can also be made ahead and reheated.