What's with all the thread dredging?

::LIKEBUTTON::

Exactly. I always write in>>>From the Archives

I do admit that I occasionally roll my eyes after hitting Post 10 in a thread before realizing the posts are from 2015…that said, I am all for thread dredging to see the original perspectives on the thread, followed by the new. Nice for dredged tasting notes as well, to see how a wine may have changed over time. Perhaps if there was an icon to alert to a dredged post (for example, when a new post has been added to a thread that had not been updated for a year or more) it may be less annoying for some.

…He indicated that he does not participate much in the Wine Talk threads anymore as he feels so many topics have been hashed over for years and there is not much for him to add that he has not already posted in the past.

I understand this, but I’d say to that person “Think about the 100’s of folks who join the board every year and didn’t see your comments from 2009-2017” and give them the benefit of your knowledge. I’m still learning from this board after 11 years and appreciate all (ok, most) who post, even when some of the topics are repetitive. I don’t even mind the bi-weekly “Who Should I Visit in Napa” threads, as there is often a new recommendation or tidbit to be gleaned. [cheers.gif]

Thread dredging is da bomb. He said from 1996.

Got a point there, seeing as we can’t talk about politics or religion. [highfive.gif]

As we all become older (if not dead), thread exhumation is evidence of ongoing mental recall…while it lasts.

I occasionally revive very old threads that I find particularly interesting. Recently, I did so with a Jayer thread.

Anyway, waves hi to my future self, when this thread is dredged in 2022.

[winner.gif]