What's the wine that changed your life?

74 BV Private Reserve. Worked as a tour guide at the winery after my junior year in college (1981). We were able to bring home wine that had been opened for tasting or for private events. Had this a couple of times that summer and it blew me away.

Yeah, what happens to girls in their freshmen year? The one who sat behind me in English, Donna W. always made it an event when the lights went out for films.

1971 Chambertin Clos de Beze Bernard Grivelet

Grivelet was indicted for mislabeling wines. I bought a case for $20 a bottle. This wine was not mislabeled. Still longing for another.

This thread reminded me of her, and then I broke one of my cardinal internet rules - I Googled her. According to Google, she does not exist! That’s cool!

1976 Heitz Bella Oaks Vineyard Cab - first wine that made my wife and I say wow!

1987 Jean Gros - Richebourg tasted in maybe 1990. Never tasted a wine with a similar profile that was so enchanting.

I have tasted every great Bordeaux made in the 40s & 50s, and a multitude of great Burgs.

Go figure…

1992 Silver Oak Napa Valley, sitting on the deck at Ray’s Boathouse in Seattle watching the sunset on a warm September evening. That was the “ah ha” moment. Wow how my tastes have changed!

When I was 22 and still drinking $10 bottles, I had bottles of 1990 Dominus, 2001 Gruaud-Larose and 2001 Vieux Telegraphe, shared with me by the sommelier at the restaurant I worked at. I especially remember the Telegraphe as I watched Silence of the Lambs later that evening and thought that was a wine Dr. Lector would appreciate with its flavors very primal and meaty.

Those were great wines.

What a splendid co-worker you had!

[cheers.gif]

When I was in college, i worked at a liquor store and the owner took me to a small industry wine tasting event. Tried a few tastes of 1999 J. Lohr Hilltop vineyard cabernet that got me excited about red wines and exploring what was out there. Until then…I was drinking cheap chardonnay with my GF and that was about it.

After I graduated in 2003 and started my first real job right out of school, I splurged on my first $100 bottle of wine - 1997 BV Georges de Latour. Blew my mind, and I was hooked from there.

Maybe this thread should be titled “what was your gateway bottle” :slight_smile:

That’s kind of what I was trying to get at. Pardon me for my poor choice of words. champagne.gif

My gateway bottle was Silver Oak- I was 18’ and worked in a higher end steak house, many of the waiters liked to get together for late night dinners ordering Cali Cabs, Turley, DDO, usual suspects. I was a pantry cook that many took a liking to so I was often brought along. It was the first beverage to really change the way I perceived alcohol and how delicious it could be, this would have been 89’, 90’ vintages…

The winery that changed my feeling about a region, Vietti- I was a Sous Chef at Il Forniao in the mid 90’s when we would often pour their Barbera, Dolcetto and Moscato btg and often have Luca in for wine dinners.I loved the wines and the idea of the winery…and yes Luca is a good businessman.

The wine that changed my life was a 55’ Cheval Blanc- Had this at 50 years of life… I don’t think I’ll hold up nearly as well as this wine, unbelievable, it seemed like it was 10 years old.

[cheers.gif]

1982 Caymus Napa, about two years after taking a part-time job at a local liquor store.

1978 DRC RC - Pretty much gifted to me for a birthday (gent that sold it to me at his cost bought it on release from the cellar door). Showed me the ceiling of great wine. THIS is what’s possible. Now go find it for 1/20th of the price!

1985 Heidsieck Charlie - I’d had (and enjoyed) champagnes like Dom but it was a nice cocktail but didn’t move me. After my first bottle of this, Champagne moved me and started a life long love affair.

1983 d’Yquem - mix the two reasons above together and that was what this wine did for me.

The first bottle that inspired me was an unknown 1L of Pinot Grigio consumed at a cafe in La Madallena, Italy on a Med Cruise in early 1992. That planted the seed.

2.5 years later I was newly married and we started to try different wines. The one that really opened my eyes WA a 1993 BV Napa Zin which we bought for $8/bottle. I do remember that being a great wine. With some more perspective today I wonder what I would think of that bottle…

Regards,
Andy Kei!!or

1994 Rabbit Ridge Zinfandel at the Old Bath House in Monterey. I went from a beer drinker to a wine drinker, and after returning home tried to find that wine at a local shop. The '94s were long gone but I bought a six-pack of the '95s and was confused why it tasted differently.

Yes, it was Zin, and yes I didn’t understand vintages, but without that wine I’d probably still be drinking beer. Not that there anything wrong with that :slight_smile:

Certainly one that did, 1968 Beaulieu Cab, Rutherford. There were others too.

1977 Lascombes.

There were a few. In chronological order.

Andrew Murray Syrah: I was about 17yo. Had never tasted a wine with so many nuances. Black pepper, crushed blackberries…I was smitten.

Random Chassagne Montrachet: During college. Purchased from a liquor store. I had never had such a mineral driven and racy white wine. The first nudge towards burgundy.

1967 Maison Leroy Musigny: First year out of college. I was working a sales job that had me go to Tampa. The old parker board led me to Bern’s. I asked for an aged bordeaux around $200. The somm said that bordeaux would be tough at that price point and suggested a red burgundy in that was in my budget. I think it was my first red burgundy. Obviously its a weak vintage, but I loved the finesse and all the flavor it delivered without much weight. My next work trip took me back to Boulder, CO. I went into Frasca and told Bobby I wanted to taste more red burgundy. He brought a 2000 Arnoux Suchots which was also great.

1962 La Tache: First truly emotional wine experience. Expectations were huge and the wine surpassed them. I’ve been chasing that experience ever since.