What's the most overrated winery on Berserkers?

I’m surprised no one is mentioning “The Darlings” of this board, the ones that get air-time, like Rhys, Dirty & Rowdy (oh yeah, Jo Appel just pushed a dart in that bottle!), Ridge, Ceritas, and others. C’mon guys, where’s the vitriol?!

Maybe people really like the wines.

Rhys. I can’t speak to overrated, but certainly one I don’t get.

(Feel better now, Marcus?)

^ This ^
And that’s all I have to say about that.

That’s the nice thing about the RM release schedule (pinot one release, cab the other)- if you don’t like the pinots, you can just order the cabs.

Now that’s an interesting and puzzling statement.

There are a bunch of wines lauded here that I don’t enjoy, but I don’t know how I would have a basis to say they are overrated. I am perfectly happy to put it off to either a matter of taste or, if you’d prefer, my ignorance, but ranking sauternes or chinons from best to worst would be a fool’s errand for me, as I have never had one I wanted a second sip of. And it would be pretty arrogant of me to tell those who know and love them that they are wrong. I’ll leave that to others (and you know who you are).

A thread made for tribal chest-beating, if you ask me

While I don’t care for this tread I’ll share my thoughts… If you don’t like some of the WB Darlings, overrated and highly advertised don’t read them… Move on to the next tread. I have a few WB Darlings I don’t care for but to each his/her own. Cheers!

SQN

I’m lying, I’ve never tried it. PLEASE SOMEONE LET ME TRY IT

Not sure about overrated…but any white from the Jura.

I like the zin but the others arent my style.

Not a fan of this and threads like it. Seem to be the direction this board has taken and for this same reason I find myself posting less and less on these days. Now, this in itself should not trouble anyone but when you multiply me by 100 or more, the knowledge-shift may be noticeable. Don’t just take my word for it. 'Check yourself before you wreck yourself… ’

thats an easy one for me, Wind Gap. I’ve never had to ask someone to stop pouring me their wines before, i felt so bad but had to be honest. I was doing a single vineyard syrah flight at the tasting room last year in December. It was my first time tasting their wines. The syrahs felt just too boring, flat, and watery thin. I mean, Northern Rhone and Southern Rhone show way more ripeness/full-bodiedness than those did. My wife felt the same way. So we asked to stop and try the pinot noirs. I ended up walking away with one bottle, pinot from Gaps Crown and im afraid to say it was a sympathy buy. I just didnt get the 11-12% Alc wines they were making… not my thing

Hard to say for me- usually if i don’t like a wine, I won’t keep buying it. There have been a couple producers that I was not a fan of, but I didn’t keep giving them money to find out if it was more of a one off, or more of the winemaking style. Too many great bottles out there for me to go back multiple times on a producer I didn’t enjoy the first couple times.

Though it’s not a popular opinion, I would ask- what is the value added of a thread along these lines? there are few threads in similar ‘spirits’ recently that, IMHO, should belong in Asylum or maybe a different folder. However, they do not seem to fit into winetalk

I’m reminded of the saying, “If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything.”

I’m not a ‘fan’ of this type of thread either, but as dissension about pretty much everything else has been on the rise here at WB, why not? What makes this thread any different than many of the others out there?

It is an interesting concept but one that I want no part in. I understand the ‘need’ by some to rail against stuff they don’t like - and maybe there’s even a feeling that, at times, there might be a ‘vocal minority’ whose opinions are heard most and therefore considered to be the ‘prevailing thoughts’ of the board.

As others have said, though, if you don’t like something, don’t purchase it . . . and move on. If you have a different opinion about a wine or winery based on your experiences, share those - even if they are different than what others think. That’s the beauty of a board like - sharing opinions, both positive and negative . . . without railing.

Cheers.

Flowers…

Oops, wrong decade & wine board

Interesting. Wind Gap Syrahs are some of my favorite California wines.

These forums are strange places. Wine produces much pleasure, but it can consume souls. They come here to rant and rave and wave flags. Maybe they are bored. Maybe they are tortured souls. Are ye so inclined so dense as to not fathom how a sea – yea an ocean – of wine gets purchased and consumed every year? This is a place where the next great thing can be created every day. You do not have to run after it. You will survive without it.

My assumption has always been that there is much less variance in wine than is assumed on the board, so pretty much EVERY board darling is horribly overrated and every board villain is horribly underrated.

Basically if you have an open mind, you’ll end up with shitty bottles from your favorite producers and unexpectedly amazing bottles from producers you normally wouldn’t touch with a ten-foot pole. Pretty much anyone who gives a shit and has the right plot of land can make good wine. It’s just not that hard.

So if I were to say that something is overrated, its the faddish/cultish obsession with any producers anywhere. CA is probably the worst, but you have the same shit elsewhere. I’ve had plenty of Gevrey CSJ, and that includes duds from Rousseau. Plenty of Brunello, and 2 good Solderas and 2 bad ones. Etc etc. Same thing anywhere. Sure, the best producers make 7 good bottles out of 10 instead of 5 good bottles, but when people are all “EVERY BOTTLE IS AMAZING JOHNNY IS A GENIUS NO BAD BOTTLES EVER” then you know they drink label and not wine.