What's the big appeal of Zinfandel?

Pairs with everything IMO.

Great by itself.

Inexpensive.

Amazing when aged … producer dependent.

These days I only by Scherrer and a little bit of Ridge but I am sure there are other great producers.

BTW (I know it is not pure Zin) the 2014 Ridge Geyserville is magic in a bottle.

Jason

For us old timers, there is a heart-warming history behind American wine production and zin that is unique to this one variety. It mostly centers upon three scientists from Stanford University who decided to buy a winery and make some wine from zinfandel (along with mountain cab from an overlooked region). Zin was the favorite house wine of Italian immigrants who planted the oldest surviving vineyards long before wine was cool and marketable. That part of Zin history leads up to the opportunity presented to those three mad scientists from Stanford. You can read about it here Paul Draper Ridge CEO & Winemaker to Retire - Ridge Vineyards
I have a personal connection here. My dad, a PhD in metallurgy and ceramics, was Chief of the Materials Lab at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Fairborn, OH back in the day and actually worked briefly with one of those scientists, Charlie Rosen. Once back in '80 or so I asked dad to use his Ridge connection to get me some '76 Monte Bello because the leading wine mag at the time, California Connoisseur’s Guide had given the wine it’s very first, coveted, “Three Puffs”. The wine instantly sold out. Dad was in California visiting at Stanford, later went to the winery, and dropped his Charlie Rosen connection and was immediately offered two bottles of the '76 MB from the library along with two each of some other “special stuff” that was no longer available for sale. Ironically, Connoisseur’s blew the call-the '76 Monte Bello never panned out as much of a wine-too tannic, too little fruit, and out of balance. I share that story because many of us were treated to unexpected hospitality at Ridge from time to time.

Buy claret for flavour. Buy zin for flavor. [cheers.gif]

Me too; I buy very little Zin, but what I have is from Ridge.

Very well stated. If I’m not mistaken, it’s also one of the oldest if not the oldest varietals coming from the old world. I think it originally is attributed to the region we now know as Croatia.

In addition to the many great points already made, I like strong flavored and spicy foods, and Zinfandel is the best red to pair with it.

It has ample fruit not to get drowned out, some spice and pepper noted that match, and usually very little tannin to make the wine taste bitter alongside spicy food (capsaicin amplifies the perception of tannins - thus why Cabernet would taste bitter paired with Kung Pao beef of something).

Sometimes I think about all the wine I buy, and it feels like much of it is to store and to save for occasions, and others of it are just to open and to drink. Zin is clearly the latter. My Bordeaux and Piedmont wines gather waiting for some age and moment in time I remember to stand them up and decant them, but day after day I just want to open and to drink Zin, Brunello, California pinot, and other wines that aren’t fussy and difficult. It’s partly being a busy dad and all - it might be different at a different place in life.

Did not know that! Great to know, Chris!

It sounds like I would enjoy lower alc Zins with lighter fare, and higher alc Zins on their own or with sweet/savory type foods (BBQ, Asian glazes etc).

Definitely want to try a Geyserville now. And a Carlisle. And a Bedrock.

Nobody mentioned Outpost yet? We just started drinking our '05s and they are superb.

Outpost+age=delicious.

Barry, add Turley, Seghesio, and Dry Creek Vineyards to that list for zins ranging from $13-$50.

Which should I try first… I can get these at my local shop:

2015 Ridge Geyserville $33.95
2014 Ridge Geyserville $37.99

2011 Outpost Howell Mtn $49.99
2012 Outpost Howell Mtn $49.99
2013 Outpost Howell Mtn $49.99

2015 Bedrock Wine Co. Old Vine $23.99

2011 Seghesio Family Sonoma $21.98
2015 Seghesio Family Sonoma $19.89

2000 Turley Juvenile $44.99
2002 Turley Juvenile $44.99
2001 Turley Mead Ranch $39.99
2002 Turley Dusi Vineyard $44.99
2003 Turley Dusi Vineyard $39.99
2002 Turley Pesenti Vineyard $44.99
2005 Turley Pesenti Vineyard $39.99
2003 Turley Duarte Vineyard $39.99
2003 Turley Dogtown Vineyard $39.99
2004 Turley Tofanelli Vineyard $44.99
2005 Turley Rattlesnake Ridge $44.99

2015 Dry Creek Vineyard Zinfandel Heritage Vines $16.99

If I wanted to buy one or two and drink them ASAP, which would you recommend? Perhaps one young one old for contrast?

Also… WOW how many Turleys are there???

The older Turley’s were made in a different style than the more current ones. Buyer beware.

Thanks.

How would you characterize the difference?

Turley today is much more in the style of Bedrock or Carlisle, generally more balanced. Back in the day, it was big and boozy.

After seeing the thread title, I knew Dildine would have the answer to end all answers on this subject, and I was not disappointed. He shows up and drops the mike.

TomHill posted a very positive note on the '15 DCV Heritage (and I bought some but haven’t opened any yet). I’d also grab the two Seghesios just for the side-by-side comparison. You can at least get a glimpse of how Zin holds up/changes. The Bedrock OV is a buy, too. The Ridges need a couple years, IMO, but definitely worth having in the cellar. Both vintages are solid.

And as others have said, those Turleys are in a different style than they are currently being made. Tegan P. (Sandlands) is Turley’s winemaker now and he has done great things, keeping the bigger style that put Turley on the map, but bringing more balance. That being said, I would grab the two Pesenti Vineyards. That’s Turley’s estate vineyard and is my favorite bottling of theirs. They’d be super fun to try.

I would grab the Geezers and the Bedrock OV from that list. The older Turleys end up a little high on alcohol when the fruit settles down with 10+ yrs of bottle age. The Seghesio Sonoma County for under $20 is an easy buy as well.

They just taste good - both young and with some age. Plus the price is right almost all less than $40.

I’m another one of those Ridge fans. Always liked the Geyserville zinfandel-blend - have been drinking it regularly going back to early-80s vintages. I do like some of the other Ridge zins but none as much as Geyserville. Occasionally try other producers but always come back to Ridge. Important other factor, my wife really likes Ridge Geyserville.

Turley - Early accessible !!!

Must be a different Turley

Meadows doesn’t score them? [wink.gif]

Prices are on the high side. But GRAB the Ridge. I stopped buying Turley in '99 … but confused by the comparison to Outpost or Bedrock. The Outpost and Bedrock I have tasted would be in the same style as the mid 90s Turley. Big and ripe. Which suits Zin.

But IMO you should got to Scherrer and save a bunch of money on the best Zin made. Buy futures.

Jason