What's the best Pinot Grigio?

I’m 93 points on that, but since it’s by a winemaker from Oregon, a region producing some of the “best” pinot gris in the world, I’m 99 points on that. And I laughed out loud in my office.

He’s like Jim Clendenen with worse taste and sunglasses.

Pinot Grigio

Right. In fact, I’d go so far to say that an Alsation Pinot Gris - such as along the lines of a Zind Hunbrecht (even their basic cuvee) - while nominally the same grape, is about as far from what they were expecting as possible. Then you have to launch into a discussion about how it’s actually the same grape grown in a different place, and how the French style is different from the Italian style, and before you know it, you’re that guy.

Agree, and also Jermann mentioned above.

That said, I suspect Jay’s friends are really asking for a simple, not very interesting, light, flavor-limited wine that they happen to be able to name. So there may be no risk in grabbing whatever Pinot Grigio seems passable and cheap and serving that up.

This is a recursive definition…

Except that it seems to be getting pulled out by many Oregon wineries to make room for Chardonnay.

+1 on these too (as well as the Pungll).

[winner.gif]

Everything that’s come to mind has been said for me, Schiopetto, Elena Walch, Terlan, Jermann. I also enjoy Ermacora. Good Pinot Grigio is a wonderful thing, though rarely a ‘serious’ thing… shame about its reputation.

Not a big fan of generic Pinot Grigio, but kudos to you for being a good sport.

As mentioned before:

Venica & Venica Pinot Grigio Jesera
Vie di Romans Pinot Grigio Dessimis

A bit more out of the box:

Marjan Simçiç Pinot Grigio Brda Classic (Slovenia)

Jay asked for the “best” Pinot Grigio. Jay, you have to decide on whether you want something that tastes good or just to get an innocuous wine with no flavor and nothing offensive. If that is what you want, why start the thread? Your OP stated the name of the the big one.

The “best” only because he wants to be a good host. Serving Zind-Humbrecht Pinot Gris Clos Windsbuhl to someone who asked for Pinot Grigio is not being a good host.

French Colombard?

Cameron Winery in Oregon makes a similar wine (Rouge De Gris) that is inspired by Radikon and wonderful. Depending on where you are located, probably easier to source than Radikon.

Jay,

You might pick up one of the recommended northern Italy ones in this thread – Jermann, Schiopetto, Alois Lageder, Tiefenbrunner.

For somewhere between $12-22, you’ll have a wine which your PG-requesting company will recognize and enjoy (probably less sweet and more acid and herbal notes, but probably not so different they won’t get it), which might modestly open their eyes and elevate their tastes and appreciation compared to grocery store PG, and is something you and/or your other company can drink and find to be perfectly decent.

Some of those wineries make a better bottling at or just above that price range, too, if you desired to elevate what you are serving a little more.

Nobody is saying these wines are going to compete at the blind tasting with grand cru Burgundy or anything, but many Italian whites in that price range are quite tasty, versatile, food friendly, and even interesting, once you get into some real producers and away from industrial supermarket plonk.

I do appreciate that you wish to give your guests what they want where possible. We wine enthusiast types always walk an interesting line there - you don’t want to serve stuff you think is crap, or have that reflect on your tastes and knowledge (“Oh, you like Apothic Red, great, I’ll open a bottle for the table”), but you don’t want to serve geeky wines that your company won’t appreciate or maybe will dislike either (“I know you like Belle Glos, but let me open this bottle of Dolcetto d’Alba for you and maybe you’ll dig that.”)

The best case scenario is to give them something which they will like but which is also good, and maybe will open their eyes to there being something better out there than what they normally drink. I think you can do that here with pinot grigio.

St Michael Eppan, Abbazia Di Novacella, Hofstatter, Lageder, Elena Walch, Tiefenbrunner, Schiopetto, Jermann, Cantina Tramin, Cantina Terlano are just a few reliable names

One more option, surprised I haven’t seen it posted here yet.

Calling Marcus,

How quick can you send Jay a case of your Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Gris Reserve Clover?

One of the best Pinot Gris I’ve tasted and at around $20, it feels like stealing.

You’ll be happy, your guests will be happy, win-win!

[quoteMarilyn Merlot!][/quote]If you have the whole set you are sitting on some serious money. Wine sucks but a collector item for sure!

Nals Magreid and Abazzia di Novacella in Alto Adige and Venica & Venica in Friuli both make fine examples.