What's new under the sun?

I guess it depends on the style of Cdp you like. Big bruisers, or more restrained.

I love finger lakes, but if you love CdP i dont think you’ll like the reds there.

I think the corsica idea is great. They tend towards grenache. But Cahors, Madiran, Gaillac rouge may be a good idea. I tend to find priorat way to big, even vs. CdP. Maybe a few specific producers in La Mancha that don’t produce plonk?

Ventura Vina Caneiro is a good one. $20-$25. I really like these. They have some of the raciness of a Loire red but with more sunny warmth.

I don’t know what your personal wine preferences are, but I believe that the Western Iberian Peninsula offers plenty of delightful reds and whites. The Emporda region of NE Spain, many parts of Greece, off-the-wall wines from the Adelaida District of Paso Robles, SBC (Tercero), Contra Costa (my favorite), Lodi (Bokisch, Borra/Markus), Mendocino (Idlewild, Lichen, Pacific Star, Signal Ridge, The Princess and The Peasant), Oregon (Teutonic), and Washington (Gramercy, McCrea) could provide you with something unique.

Happy holidays! :slight_smile:

I don´t know you (personally) - but if it was tongue in cheek there should be (usually) a smiley (and a change of lines).
[wink.gif]

BTW: I´d still dig into Souther France (Languedoc, Roussillon, Corbieres, Minervois, Fitou, Faugeres …)

Sounds like Gerhard was correct, then!

Lyle Fass sells some good wines at very good prices including Rhones. You may want to check it out.

So, have you tried any others?

Thanks, Gerhard. Anything you’d recommend in Minervois? I agree that Southern France is a great source of wine. No need to argue, right?

There are dozens of “good” Minervois, Chateau d´Oupia, Chateau Maris, Chateau de Paraza, Clos de L´Escandil and Domaine Piccinini come to my mind - but it depends what´s available for you … and generally those from the La Liviniere region are vg.
There are usually several Cuvees, and the more expensive ones often use more oak …

BTW: Anne GROS (Vosne-Romanee) makes several Minervois Cuvees (together with her husband Jean-Paul Tollot) - no bargains, but excellent.

Ben, good to see you back.

Ditto.

Good to see you back man. Long overdue for a get together.

Ben,

Barbera from good Piedmont producers can be excellent and well priced (just not Giacomo Conterno’s).

For Nebbiolo, Alto Piemonte provides good value. I find that wines from the region, such as Travaglini Gattinara, need a fair amount of age. You can often find really good old bottles at Chambers, although the younger ones are much cheaper.

+1 - SB wines.