What's intresting and exotic to buy from Germany?

Italy has left the euro zone?…

Hi Daniele,

Goldriesling - which I’ve never had despite making an effort to try every grape variety that I come across - is an early ripener, which should be promising in a cooler year. This, plus your request for something interesting and exotic, was why I suggested the Proschwitz Goldriesling. It’s the wine that I would have personally picked if I was asked to find an unusual German wine for a group tasting or event.

I’m sure that Proschwitz makes a good Scheurebe as well. As David says, the HGS-era Muller-Catoir Scheurebes were the gold standard for this grape, and if you ever have an opportunity to try one of those, run, don’t walk!

1 Like

Sorry to bother you Andrew, I trust your insight but I want to learn a bit more:

How being “early ripening” is good in a cold, wet year with meldiew problem? I’m quite ignorant on the subject.

I’m not Andrew but the mildew issue was mostly reported as truly problematic in warmer vineyards of the Mosel. What’s the reporting there?

1 Like

Isn’t the mildew (the powdery one I believe, I can barely remeber things with their scientific latin names as they’re known here) related to lots of rain and humidity? And 2021 was wet from what I gather (we’re talking about sachsen here for the goldriesling).

I’m having an hard time putting togheter how ripening time would help or not help with mildew, I know for example that if a variety “sprouts” (don’t know if it’s the correct verb) later it incours in less risk of being killed by spring frost, and that’s pretty easy to understand even if you don’t know about vines. But I can’t understand the other stuff, tho I trust andrew and have locked in the goldriesling from sachsen 2021 but I’d still like to understand the theory better

See this post and down to the end of the thread:

In short, cooler areas had fewer mildew problems in 2021.

Thanks for pointing me toward more info Guillermo.

I remember reading that part you quoted fromanother thread on 2021 vintage in Germany, cause I remember the mittle mosel / saar comparison.

But I still don’t understand:

Cooler areas had fewer problems of mildew because cool weather goes against mildew, or it’s just a 2021 coincidence?

Plus, which was the initial doubt: If I have a row of wine planted with riesling and the next one planted with goldriesling, if the formet is affected by mildew the latter less so because it’s ripens early: what does ripening early or later have to do with mildew?

Hello Daniele,

Maybe you have done a lot of research already but did you consider ordering from a German website?

I didn’t search through the wines but my experience is that it’s easier to find good and affordable offers from Germany and the shipping fee across Europe is in most cases very reasonable.

Sounds like you are quite far gone in the hunt but could be worth considering, sometimes the price (or availability) for Italian wines makes it attractive to look that direction as well.

Turns out, what we commonly call Peronospora in grapes has been reclassified from Peronospora viticola to Plasmopara viticola, but I guess old habits die hard.

It likes relatively warmer and humid environments (as opposed to true Peronospora’s cool and humid preferences).
Though it’s still cooler than powdery mildew.
The rule of thumb is “10:10:24… environmental condition for primary infection. At least 10mm rainfall (or irrigation) is needed while the temperature should be 10 °C or more over 24 hours.”
(Compare to powdery mildew’s preferred range of 15-30°C, though it can do 7-32°C.)

This checks with what the producers reported. And this is as far as my knowledge goes.

2 Likes

I see they have some of Rudolf Fürst’s Spätburgunders (pinot noirs). These are excellent wines, and are very difficult to find in the US.

1 Like

Hi Mikael.

Vinello is a german wine shop, it’s odd that they have the .it and .eu and probably other version as well but i’m pretty sure they’re all the same company based in Germany, shipping cost is 18 € flat (at least up to 6 bottles, I didn’t simulate more) and that’s typical for internazional shipping condition in EU, i paid 19,9 for 6 bottles from france. Avg italian shop would be 6 € for a single bottle, 8 for up to 3, 10 for 6 and free shipping above 100 or something along those lines! Plus several bottle descriptions are still in german.

I’ll double check anyway

1 Like

Where? I’m after the centgrafenberg base spat but didn’t find it there, they had only the riesling iirc. Btw i’ve previously found it in another shop already, it’s currently out of stock bytv they told me it should be nsck in september

2 Likes

I don’t see the Centgrafenberg, but they do list the Bürgstadter Berg Spatburgunder.

https://www.vinello.it/buergstadter-berg-spaetburgunder-1-lage-rudolf-fuerst

1 Like

Aw so they make a second one! Didn’t know but now I do thanks to you :smiley: I’m still gonna pass and aim straight to the Centgrafenber base, I don’t even care about qpr in this case because Centgrafenberg rolls so good on the tongue :rofl:

I think I’m lost on this one :dizzy_face: , sorry mate but thanks for trying!!

The also bottle Klingenberger Schlossberg and Hundsruck Spatburgunders:

When I visited in 2004, they had bought the Schlossberg vineyard recently and were restoring it. Sebastian Furst said it had once been a famous vineyard, but had been neglected for many years. He said that the vines had been heavily damaged by weed-whackers (cacciatori di erbacce, according to Google Translate)! He and his father were going to have to replace many of the vines he said, and I believe production was therefore very limited for a number of years.

1 Like

Thank you for the insight! I steel don’t understand what a weed whacker could be, “Cacciatore” is more in the sense of a hunter or a seeker in the english language, while “whack” I associate more with beating / destroying and therefore exstirpating. Maybe somebody removed the vineyards along the weed to prevent spreading of possible fire?

Anyway I’m still aiming toward centgrafenberg spat

I see, might also have with duty and VAT regulations across EU. Must have been a crackdown or message from the authorities a while back as quite a few shops (smaller retails mostly) stopped offering transport abroad.

The Germans normally have up to 18 bottles (sometimes 12 or 15) for the fixed transport cost. If helpful then I can DM you some of the retailers I usually buy from.

Happy hunting :clinking_glasses:

I’ve double checked on the vinello.de and availability is the same!

I only know Vinello, Perbaccowein and there was a south african specialized shop as well where they have Ataraxia wines. But I’m happy to hear some suggestion, I won’t pull the trigger on all the stuff I’m locking on till early october when I can comnfortably store bottles outside my cabinet

Here’s a weed whacker – sometimes called a trimmer. It has a nylon line that it spins around at high speed to cut weeds and high grass.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-LST300-Weed-Whacker/dp/B00HH4K4HQ

I found another translation site that gives the Italian “decespugliatore.” Does that make more sense?

1 Like