What would you do?- Part 2

Ha. I remember our local entertainment weekly had 3 writers who regularly raved about one of the top local bands, but assigned their CD review to someone who detested the genre. The scathing review barely even touched on the content. I’m guessing not more than a few seconds were listened to.

Didn’t Rolling Stone regularly pan Led Zeppelin? And Rush. Cream went after Queen, iirc correctly from my brother’s rants and raves.

Anyway, I think it’s more that wineries picked up on Parker’s blind spot and exploited it. He values intensity, which is a good metric with traditionally ripe Bdx. Picking late and employing various tricks to deliver intensity, more intensity, fooled him. He could never accept that such wines had a narrower appeal. He couldn’t even accept the glaring evidence when one specific thread fleshed out that a wine he’d lauded fell apart badly early into his predicted drinking window. He saw some grand conspiracy of elitist moon men trying to knock him down, so they could steal his underpants or some other highly rational conjecture. But, that was just a run-of-the-mill TN from one of his subscribers who’d bought on his rec that set him off. Leading to several other bottles being popped and tasted by dozens of his subscribers.

Many years ago Wine Spectator published a blind tasting of OR PN vs Burgs, with notes on each wine from both respective critics. Seeing the divergent opinions on some of the wines, and wrong guesses, was about as consumer friendly of an exercise as you can get. (This was a long time before CT.) But, it seems like being open and honest about how subjective wine appreciation is runs counter to the mags’ holding themselves up as some sort of objective standard that people need to turn to.

As a wine critic, I don’t see how you maintain credibility if you give wineries permission to opt out of reviews not to their liking. It breaks too many rules. Now wineries decide that anything under 95 is not acceptable, and your readers only read about 95+ wines from you. Independence is paramount.

If I decide to not write about something I don’t ask permission. I sometimes need to make these calls during layout. What benefit comes from three 85 - 87 scores, that will push the issue into another page (either at the end, or disrupting facing pages) and possibly create a bunch of blank space. I need to ask myself if including those wines is actually worth the extra 20 cents a page added to the cost of each hard copy. I have a fair amount of winemakers who subscribe to my publication and if they don’t like something, they rarely even mention it to me, and if so it is usually asking how I got to that conclusion; an intellectual conversation. Ultimately, wineries can choose to reprint whatever they want.