What would you buy for this party and budget?

We did Greek wines back in June, and I was very impressed with their showing.

I’d build the tasting around a comparison of Greek Xinomavro versus French Pinot Noir versus Italian Nebbiolo, and see whether the Xinomavro can hold its own. In fact, I think I’d go ahead and serve the red wines blind, and learn whether the Xinomavro sticks out like a sore thumb, or whether it’s right at home in the company of Bourgogne & Piemonte.

BUBBLES
$22.99 Xavier Reverchon - Cremant De Jura NV

WHITES
$22.99 Hatzidakis - Assyrtiko Santorini 2015
$34.99 Domaine du Closel - Clos Du Papillon [Chenin Blanc] 2014

REDS
$32.99 Diamantakos - Naoussa Xinomavro 2011
$39.99 Bouchard Pere & Fils - Bouchard Beaune Du Chateau Premier Cru 2012
$40.00 Produttori del Barbaresco - Barbaresco 2011

DESSERT WHITE
$36.99 Hermann Dönnhoff - Riesling Spätlese Nahe Norheimer Kirschheck 2015

Thanks for your great suggestions! Help me narrow it down. (Thanks and credit for suggestions to those in brackets)

DEFINITELY GETTING
(1) Sigalas Assyrtiko $20 (KATRINA + ED + NATHAN)
(1) 2011 Benoit Mulin Arbois $30 (ERIC)
(1) 2007 Vina Ardanza Rioja $35 (BARRY AND JEROME AND ERIC)
(1) 2014 Ridge Geyserville $40 (BARRY AND ED AND ERIC)
(1) 2015 Hermann Dönnhoff - Riesling Spätlese Nahe Norheimer Kirschheck $37 (HOWARD + ALAN + KIRK + NATHAN)

PLUS ONE OF:
Roederer Estate - Brut Anderson Valley NV $23 (HOWARD)
or
2016 Bedrock Ode to LuLu Rose $19 (VINCE)
or
NV Gruet - Blanc De Noirs Brut $17 (KIRK)
or
Xavier Reverchon - Cremant De Jura NV $23 (NATHAN)

PLUS ONE OF:
2012 Bouchard Pere & Fils - Beaune Du Chateau Premier Cru 2012 $40 (HOWARD + MICHAEL C + NATHAN)
or
2015 Foillard Morgon cuvee Corcellette $33 (NOAH + KATRINA)
or
2014 Peay PN Sonoma Coast $39 (NOAH + ALAN + KATRINA)
or
2011 Diamantakos Xinomavro $33 (IAN + NATHAN)

Which would you choose from those two lists and WHY?

(Note: All the others are not on my list of wines to try in the future! Ian, I love a lot of your off-the-beaten-path wines for myself, just not for this crowd. I’ll be trying them for sure! Thank you, everyone!)

Is this being done down in LA? Why not at least have a little more representation of Santa Barbara County? :slight_smile: you know how I feel about these things!

For your third set of choices, depends on what style you want. I don’t know the Diamantakos, so can’t comment. The Peay will be more full body (though still relatively elegant by Cali Pinot standards), with plenty of fruit. I’d be a little worried the Bouchard might be a little tight and stringent right now. Personally, I much prefer 2014 for Beaujolais over 2015, for it’s lower ripeness and more interesting flavors, so I would still steer you to the 2014 Foillard instead of the 15, though maybe the 15 would be the better choice for a generic crowd as I think about it. Either way the Foillard will be a lighter body, more elegant wine than the Peay.

Why do I feel like I won a prize for being included on that list?

I highly endorse all but one of these! Nice list there Howard

Thanks for the follow-up, guys and gals!

Here’s what I ended up getting:

I BOUGHT
(1) 2015 Santo Santorini Assyrtiko $18 (They were out of the Sigalas - But thanks Katrina, Ed and Nathan for steering me here)
(1) 2011 Benoit Mulin Arbois $30 (Thanks Eric)
(1) 2007 Vina Ardanza Rioja $33 (Thanks Jerome)
(1) 2014 Ridge Geyserville $38 (Thanks Ed and Eric)
(1) 2015 Hermann Dönnhoff - Riesling Spätlese Nahe Norheimer Kirschheck $37 (Many thanks for a surefire hit! Props to Howard, Alan, Kirk and Katrina for being vocal about this one!)

PLUS…
(1) NV Gruet - Blanc De Noirs Brut $17 (Thanks Kirk! – They were out of the Ode to Lulu and Reverchon Cremant, but thanks for those suggestions Vince and Nathan!)

PLUS…
(1) 2014 Peay PN Sonoma Coast $39 (Thanks to Noah, Alan and Katrina – here again, their inventory online wasn’t accurate as they did not have the Bouchard Beaune du Chateau, nor the Foillard Morgon though those were great ideas Howard, Michael, Nathan, Noah and Katrina!)

[I simply lacked the guts to try the Xinomavro in the non-wine geek party setting so it’s on my list for a Pinot vs Nebbiolo vs Xinomavro throwdown sometime soon – thanks Ian and Nathan]

TOTAL = $212

Thanks to all of you! I am open to any serving temp / decanting suggestions!

SPEECH!!!

I want to thank the Berserker community for giving me this opportunity to be a part of this great occasion…

Do you have less experience with California Pinot, Burgundy or Morgon. Pick the one that you have the least experience with so that you will learn the most.

At some point you need to try the Produttori. You will love it.

In my experience, Bouchard makes this wine (which is a combination of various premier cru vineyards in Beaune) in a style that can be drunk sooner.

Thanks. Glad he got the Donnhoff. Would have been shocked if he had not gotten the Ridge.

I think he should try the Produttori and the Morgon and either the Bouchard or something else similar (say Hudelot-Noellat Bourgogne Rouge) to further his education. For the price, there is little like Produttori and, even though I suggested the Bouchard rather than the Foillard, Foillard’s wines are pretty unique in cru Beaujolais.

If by “unique in cru Beaujolais” you mean “not made from gamay and doesn’t taste like gamay,” I’d be ok with the switch. I know you like that Donnhoff stuff, but we can still be friends

Magical Party Decantation

DECANT
Ridge >> 1 hr decant then drink over evening from bottle
Vina Ardanza >> 30 min decant then drink over evening from bottle

SLOW-OX
Peay >> 1hr SO then drink from bottle over evening

The rest I’ll PnP.

Approx. Serving Temps I Am Aiming For
Very Chilled (45 degrees): Champagnoise
Moderately Chilled (50 degrees): Assyrtiko
Mildly Chilled (58 degrees): Arbois, Riesling
Low Room Temp (62 degrees): Pinot
Room Temp (67 degrees): Ridge and Rioja

What a GREAT party!

NV Gruet - Blanc De Noirs Brut - Didn’t open because everyone wanted to start with ‘Skinny Margaritas’

2015 Santo Santorini Assyrtiko - Had with the Greek food, and it was a perfect, crisp accompaniment

2011 Benoit Mulin Arbois - Didn’t open, which I am actually happy about because I can take it to TONIGHT’S dinner party with more wine geeks who will appreciate it!

2015 Hermann Dönnhoff - Riesling Spätlese Nahe Norheimer Kirschheck - HUGE hit. I mean, multiple people were coming back again and again to look at the bottle and try to remember the name of it, find out where to get it, etc. It was wonderful on it’s own before the meal, glorious with the sausage that was served, and incredible with the dessert. Great recommendation!

2014 Peay Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - This was a perfect wine to have with the pan seared chicken we ate! Lovely! Light yet very present fruit! Splits the difference between a Burg and a ‘big’ Cali Pinot. Nice middle ground! It did benefit from some air to open it’s nose more.

2007 Vina Ardanza Rioja - Very popular with the Chef and another guest. Also, luckily one of the surprise dishes was a paella. Went PERFECTLY with it! Delish!

2014 Ridge Geyserville - Another big big hit. One guy in particular, who never seems to like anything except Cabs over $100, loooooved this and couldn’t stop coming back for more. He took a pic of the bottle so he could go buy some. I LOVED it too. As did Anna, and also Stacey, the hostess who joined us at 11pm after a long work day. She came in and I handed her a glass of Geyserville. She took a sip and said, “Wow! Delightful!” and really enjoyed it. Just terrific all around and I almost wish I’d brought TWO bottles!

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!!!

Sounds like an amazing party. Glad you enjoyed all the bottles.