What wines have you had that you recommend others should add to their bucket list.

In addition to the many great wines listed in previous posts:
Any vintage of Soldera but preferably with 25+ years of bottleage.
Montevertine Pergole Torte Riserva 1990
Trimbach CSH Hors Choix 1989
G. Mascarello Monprivato 1989 or “just” G. Mascarello Barolo 1961
Giacosa Barolo Riserva Falletto 1989
Chateau Haut Brion or Mission Haut Brion 1989

There are many other wines I love but these are all hard to find/expensive but worth the price IMHO

I prefer to think of these as some of my favorite wines rather than things people need to put on their lists because palates are so different. There are some wines that people have listed that I’m indifferent to and some that I’ve just disliked - no accounting for taste!

For me, on a purely personal basis:
1990 Pousse d’Or Caillerets 60 Ouvrees
2007 Mugnier Musigny
1980 Leroy Clos de la roche
1989 Leflaive Batard or Chevy
1990 Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre
1999 Verset
1995 Chave (not the blanc:))
1999 Allemand cornas sans soufre
1982 Margaux (I know many people think the 83 is better, but that hasn’t been my personal experience)
1989 Bruno Giacosa Collina Rionda
1988 Salon

I’ve only listed stuff that’s hard to get; I assume the intent isn’t to list things that are relatively easy to buy at the moment, like my favorite grower champagne:)

Anyone in Europe opening any of these bottles and taking on students? Arm raised very high (have long arms), close to waving.

I still have a bunch. Let me know when next in Noo Yawk.

Maison Ilan would be on my list, if I planned to live forever. [snort.gif]

I love this comment and the experience behind it. A sensation experienced by sensitive lovers of wine, music, art, etc. Cool!

Agree with Arv’s recommendation of aged Musar, just because it’s such a different animal and IMHO therefore a lot of fun.

Also,

Giacosa Barolo/Barbaresco. Have had several highlights including 1998 Le Rocche and 1996 Villero
Conterno Cascina Francia and Monfortino. Especially 1990.
Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche 2002.
La Mission HB 1982.
Arcadian PN with 15+ years on it.
Thomas PN. Especially 2005 and, for my taste, 2007.

Cheers,
Doug

I’m not a bucket list person, so in case there are others like me I will add:

• Never stop exploring, be it grapes, regions, producers or wine styles. Finding the sweet spot between old favourites and new experiences is something for us all to find, and that sweet spot may move over time.
  • Do try wines at different stages of maturity and some genuinely (a few decades) old wines. They can be hit and miss, and they may not be for you, but it’s good to find out.
  • Do indeed try Musar and indeed the wines of other wineries who break the mould. You may not love/like them, but you may well find excitement amongst these mavericks.
  • Go where your palate takes you. Trust it implicitly and it will guide you better than I can.
3 Likes

1959 Mouton, Lafite, Latour and Haut Brion.
1986 Ramonet Montrachet, DRC Montrachet
1990 Dujac Clos de la Roche
1974 Martha’s
1978 Volcanic Hill, Phelps Eisele
1948 Fonseca
1967 Yquem

I am familiar with the above after multiple bottles consumed both OTJ and at client dinners. With proper storage and cork luck they are all still magnificent apex wines.
There are many more, after 40 years in the fine and rare biz.

I would have solely recommended the older wines, but they are getting out of reach. Thankfully, there are more recent vintages that are still fairly attainable and quite fine in their own right.

1989 Montrose/2003 Montrose
1996 Taittinger Comtes/2004 Comtes

Would also add Cristal both young and old, as well as Cedric Bouchard Ursules & Bechalin. I had the opportunity to enjoy Cecile Tremblay Chapelle-Chambertin through the kindness of a friend, and that might likely be the last time it passes through my lips. [snort.gif]

I’ve been invited to a dinner this weekend where the following are planned:
1985 Bollinger VVF
1985 DRC Richebourg
1982 Latour
1976 d’Yquem

I’ll report back as to whether they should be added to the bucket list! As for recommendations, most of my experience at this level has been in Bordeaux. Some of the best “legendary” bottles I’ve had include 1982 Gruaud Larose, 1982 LMHB, 1986 LLC, and 1989 Pichon Baron.

A couple others include 1974 Bertani Amarone and 1970 Mondavi reserve; both are brilliant wines and worth seeking out.

1 Like

Of course some of the predictable trophies are mentioned here, I’m sure with good reason. I would love to try any of them. The only one I’ve had is 1989 Haut Brion. I tried it a few years ago and thought it needed another 20 to really hit its stride. Some of you must be a lot better at judging potential than I am, or I guess you really like Bordeaux that isn’t mature yet.

So, my suggestions wouldn’t be from Burgundy, Bordeaux, or Champagne, because the top wines from those regions are well known and would already be on someone’s bucket list if they care.

1981 Musar Rouge – As I mentioned in the current Musar thread, one of the greatest wines I have ever tried.

1993 Royal Tokaji Aszu Essencia – This is also one of the greatest, most memorable wines I’ve had. The complexity is just ludicrous, and I swear I could still taste it when I got home from dinner. I can almost taste it now if I focus.

Bartlett Reserve Blueberry, 20+ years old – Sadly, very few people will get to experience this, but it’s so interesting and surprising that I think it’s worth trying to find.

This is a fun question. I’m going to keep thinking about it.

Some that haven’t been mentioned:

2006 Château de Beaucastel Blanc Vieilles Vignes - It never shut down and has always been splendid
Domaine de la Grange des Pères - especially now after the winemaker’s death but it was always a unique and spectacular wine, both blanc and rouge.
Vintage Selosse
Bollinger RD

This was the last of 6 that I bought so cheaply, so long ago. This was by far the best bottle I had. Huge mistake to drink them so young!

1 Like

So the Bollinger VVF was off the charts detailed and complex - at current auction prices, I might not advocate to seek one out, but it’s very difficult for me to imagine Champagne tasting much better. Lots of cinnamon stick, toffee, honey. Having said that, I love the Bollinger house style and would point out that the RD is so d*mn good that one could get 97% of the same experience if you are willing to put those away for a long while.

The Richebourg was pure essence of pinot, but it wasn’t particularly mind numbing or haunting. This bottle was entirely correct (I once had a less than stellar performance from an 85 La Tache) which was a relief but it was quite youthful and perhaps didn’t evoke much exoticism. Utterly delicious? Yes. Worth $5k? Certainly not to me.

The 82 Latour was the best red wine I have ever tasted (and I’ve had a number of good 82 Bordeaux, largely at the generosity of others). This one blew my mind and upped the bar for what I can hope for out of a well stored old bottle

The d’Yquem was so youthful that I would have guessed late 90s (and have tasted several of those) so while delicious, it wasn’t as much of a standout as the Bolly or Latour in my perception.

Properly stored, properly aged Grand Cru White Burg. Nothing else like it.

that 85 Riche was fantastic and about $300-500 from 2000-2010.

Many great names, I won’t bother seconding…but I will add Vega Sicilia with 50+ years of age. Certainly the 1970 and 1968 are at the top of that list.

I may have had better, but these are certainly some of my favorites:

1987 Chateau Montelena
1995 Angelus
1996 Dom Perignon Rose
1996 Salon

1961 Jaboulet La Chappelle

One addition that I can’t believe I didn’t mention before: Didier Dagueneau Les Jardins de Babylone. I think this is one of the great dessert wines of the world, and it gets surprisingly little attention.