What wine with grilled octopus?

+4

I like David B’s Sherry idea too.

Retsina. I’m half serious.

Sherry is an outstanding suggestion.

Another vote for Manzanilla or one of the Campania whites.

Barolo. Had a 2012 Paolo Scavino Barolo with a whole grilled Branzino a while back - wonderful. Also great with octopus.

This past weekend, a 2017 Viña Reboreda Godello paired brilliantly with grilled octopus with chorizo, white beans, and crème fraiche.

Maybe this is non-responsive, but I had grilled octopus with black olives the other day, and it paired oh so well with a Mt Etna rosato (this one, the 18 Terre Nere)

Confident and likely very good advice!

My first thought was also Albarinho but a good quality Rueda (verdejo grape) will also work i think

1 Like

Love the albarinho idea. Or, keeping with the Iberian theme, vinho verde?

I also have a fond recollection of octopus and a Donnhoff GG.

With the other ingredients I would steer towards a rosé that has some acidity.

Is grilled octopus now the new trendy food. Seems like every place I go now has this on the menu. And I do enjoy it

Yes, it’s sort of what seared ahi was 15 years ago, or what crispy Brussels sprouts were 10 years ago.

I don’t mean that dismissively, though; I like all three things (when done well). But I wouldn’t be surprised to see all three of those on the menu at The Olive Garden at this point in time.

One other relevant factor — I think octopus is abundant and not an ecological problem to harvest the way ahi, Chilean sea bass and some other popular seafood items are.

David,

I had it last night. We were drinking Champagne and 2000 Giacosa. Both worked well, the Champagne a bit better.

Tom

I second Vinho Verde, particularly made with the loureiro grape.

+1

I just got back from Spain, where I consumed Albariño regularly with olives and octopus. And when I was in Greece, ditto for Assyrtiko.

Ignoring the olives Huet Sec or Demi Sec is a fine match with grilled octopus.

I just had a similar prep with 2014 and 2015 Vatan Sancerre. Worked very well!

Yes! + many. Especially Sigalas. Unoaked version. It is the perfect match.

• here on earlier suggestion of dry Sherry. Yum!