What wine with Cioppino?

Dry Italian white; Liotta’s suggestion of Vermentino seems to be bullseye, imo. Bubbles would probably work well, if you want to go that route. I, too, wouldn’t even consider a red.

If I do not know what to serve with a certain food, I always go with sparkling. It goes with almost everything.

We ended up having the the White BDX with the meal and opened a Patty Green 09 reserve after it. Way too young…I know. Just checking in.

Just saw this topic after the nick of time, but for what its worth, you might consider Txakolina next time.

My pick would be a large-scaled Austrian Riesling or Gruner Veltliner (a rich, viscous version, such as Knoll, FX Pichler, or the Nigl “Privat”), OR a similarly styled (heavy/rich) but slightly sweeter Alsatian Riesling or even Gewurtztraminer.

I think German Riesling is not able to stand up, unless you’re going sweet (i.e. Auslese or sweeter). I would think that any Kabinett and many Spats would be too delicate and their complexity would be overwhelmed by the food, although some Spats might work well (Willi Schaefer comes to mind).

no connection, Bohan-Dillon road leads to Hirsch Vineyards, but was attracted to this wine at first because the name. this wine 06 has great acidity and a slight saltiness to it

My wife and I love ciopinno. flirtysmile We have it many times during the dungeness season.

We’ve never tried a white with it since the dish flavors are dominated by tomato sauce. We usually have a high-acid red, typically a chianti… superb!

Finally, someone who understands Cioppino!

Nero d’avola

So John…how was the Cioppino?

I don’t know. If the cioppino is dominated by tomato flavors, it’s my opinion you need a new recipe.

I was very good. The dungeness crab was really sweet. We also put clams and white fish in it. The La Brea garlic sourdough loaf was perfect with it.

John how did the wine match with the dish? I might have suggested a dry French rose’ to pair…Cheers, Gary

Very nice on a very snowy night.

I’d go for Roero arneis, Sancerre or Pouilly-Fumé.

How old is that stuff by the time it makes it to Orleans . . . a week or so? [snort.gif]

Caught that morning, and still snapping and pinching when they got into our sink. So fresh…

Come on Bob, tomato is the dominant ingredient in Cioppino sauce and I’m sure that’s what the other poster meant. Sure there’s a whole lot more but personally I don’t think a white wine, especially something sweet, would hold up to my Cioppino sauce. I’ve tasted restaurant Cioppino. White wine would go fine with that but mine is much heartier and I would never waste white wine on it. Except in the cooking portion which takes a bottle of white and a bottle of red.
[cheers.gif]

It was just OK. We don’t store our wine at home, and I had no idea I was going to be cooking Cioppino when I left work at the winery, so we had few options.
I was just hoping to come close, stylistically. The Cioppino was way to rich for the BB we had with it.

The bread, John. I was talking about the bread. neener