What wine will you pour for Rosh Hashanah 5770?

Trying to decide what to bring to our larger family gathering.
Wide variety of the usual fine food.
I get assigned the wine ---- reds, whites, and sweeties.
I always bring some kosher wines.

Thinking of the following kosher wines:

2003 Domaine Bunan Côtes de Provence
2002 Carmel Winery Limited Edition
I do have a 2004 Domaine du Castel Grand Vin also

I still need to shop for at least one white kosher - last year I found a nice chard from Israel.

I’ll probably also bring some Arcadian pinots and syrahs for fun.

Hmmm. Haven’t thought about it yet.

Just what I needed. Another question to ponder over. And no, I don’t mean the 4 questions. [grin.gif]

Will they have Mogen David in Heaven sweet Jesus
And if not who the hell wants to go?

–Larry Gatlin

The goy boy says serve what you like but hey . . . I don’t have to endure my rabbi’s scorn and my mother is dead so guilt is out of the equation.

Yes, you don’t need to pair with Matzo yet…

I was just thinking with the improvement of the variety of kosher wines - we can actually be “legal” and enjoy.

2000 Leoville Poyferre (Kosher)

I wish I had some of that. I just have six of the standard 2000 Leoville Goyferre. pileon

Jack, I tracked these down at Binny’s back in 2006. They cost a bit of a premium over the regular wine. Thought it would be nice to have some for the holidays.

I have read you comment on them before Eric. I did have a bottle of the 2003 Kosher Valandraud last year at a friends house. He paid a ridiculous premium for the wine. It was nice but very soft for that vintage.

Jack, I have a 6-pack of that wine as well but am holding and hoping for something special. In general these Kosher Cuvees will always be a bit softer since there is no pumpover or other handling happening 1 out of 7 days during fermentation.

Funny, [welldone.gif]

This is way too far in advance to think about, ask me next Thursday…

Something sweet of course.
flirtysmile

I am not stuck to kosher cuvees, but I hear that Yarden makes a pretty good late harvest Sauv Blanc.

I haven’t decided yet. I do Kosher wines for Passover, but not for Rosh Hashanah. For Rosh Hashanah, we will be eating (at least one night) brisket, so I assume I will be opening a couple of bigger reds.

The kosher cuvees tend to be on the lighter, not-as-exciting side of things since they are only made from a couple barrels out of the whole production. Therefore, they don’t get the benefit of being balanced out as a result of the larger grand vin production. The 1 day of missing pumpover might have something to do with it, but this is a bigger issue in my estimation. That said, if you keep kosher, that’s the way it is, and it’s just a matter of finding the best vintages of the better chateaux and seeing how you like them. I’ve tried 01 and 03 Leo Poyferre, 02 Valandraud, 02 and 03 pontet canet, as well as others (including a 1999 guidaud sauternes). Some are great, others not so. Some of the Israeli “super cuvees” tend to have either some greenies or a touch too much RS for my palate, which leaves us in Bordeaux, which breaks the bank.

For the holiday, I think I will break out my 2003 yatir forest cabernet from israel, which got 93 points from RP.

Doing a kosher wine tasting tomorrow and will be trying:
2004 Yarden Ortal vyd Syrah
2004 Yarden Ortal vyd Merlot
2005 Yatir Cabernet
2006 Castel
2000 Filius de Chateau Patris
and
2007 Yarden Odem vyd Organic Chard

Hope to report back on some good results!

Presently enjoying a 2002 Ch Montviel Pomerol (kosher): rather dark, cranberry, chocolate, with some floral notes. not very tannic as indicative of the vintage but still a tasty drink.

Full disclosure: I have a kosher wine website based in San Diego focusing on the rare, better quality stuff newhere

Thanks,
Andrew

This will be a very somber Rosh Hashanah, as it will be my first without my mother who passed away in February. We will open something special in her honor and hope to get through the day without major trauma. Supposed to be a happy occasion, but that will hard to pull off this year.

So sorry to hear that Neal.

I know you are dealing with your own loss, Eric. May the year be a sweet one for you and the rest of your family

Thanks Neal. I suspect I will be a mess during the Yizkor service.

Several holiday meals this year, one at home, others at the homes of friends. Although I do not maintain kashrut, it seems appropriate during the holidays, especially with guests to offer entirely kosher wines, in this case, two kosher editions from France and the rest Israeli.

Best
Rogov

The Reds

Château Léoville Poyferré, St. Julien, (Kosher Edition), 2000: Full-bodied and well balanced, with firm tannins and spicy wood integrating nicely now. On the nose and palate blackberries, currants, chocolate and garrigue, all leading to a generous and mouth-filling finish. Drink now–2015, perhaps longer. Score 92.

Château de Valandraud, St. Emilion, (Kosher Edition) 2001: Dark garnet towards royal purple, opens with firm tannins and super-generous smoky and spicy wood, but given time in the glass (or perhaps the decanter) opens to reveal that those tannins and wood are now integrating nicely, even softening on the palate, and revealing near-sweet plum, berry and cassis fruits along with hints of white chocolate. Long and generous. Drink now–2014. Score 92.

Bustan, Merlot, 2005: Full-bodied, with deep, near-sweet and gently mouth-coating tannins, a muscular but simultaneously elegant Merlot. On the nose and palate, wild berries, currants, spices, Mediterranean herbs and garrigue, all coming together as a coherent whole. Long and generous. Drink now-2014, perhaps longer. Score 92.

Carmel, Limited Edition, 2005: A Bordeaux blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot, Merlot and Cabernet Franc (65%, 17%, 15% and 3% respectively). Dark ruby towards garnet, medium- to full-bodied, with generous soft tannins and reflecting its 15 months in barriques with light toasty and spicy oak. Blackberry and black cherry fruits on first attack, yielding to blackcurrants and appealing hints of lead pencil and vanilla and, on the moderately long finish, a near-sweet and elegant tobacco note. Drink now–2013. Score 92.

Domaine du Castel, Castel, Grand Vin Castel 2005: Dark toward inky garnet, with just a bit of clearing at the rim, with firm tannins now integrating nicely with spicy and smoky oak. Deeply aromatic, opens in the glass to show a nose and palate of black currant, blackberry and purple plum fruits on a background of roasted herbs and near-sweet tobacco. On the long finish hints of citrus peel, anise and cherry-flavored dark chocolate. Drink now–2012. Score 92.

Golan Heights Winery, Yarden, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2005: Brooding dark ruby-red, full-bodied, with near-sweet tannins and spicy oak wrapped around blackcurrants, berries, spices and a hint of dark chocolate. Look as well for enchanting hints of citrus peel and vanilla on the long finish. Fine balance and structure bode well for the future. Drink now–2018. Score 92.

Golan Heights Winery, Yarden, Cabernet Sauvignon, Elrom Vineyard, 2001: Dark, almost impenetrable garnet-purple, full-bodied, with finely tuned balance between generous well-integrated tannins and judicious oak, this exquisite wine shows complex tiers of aromas and flavors of red currants, berries and spices on the first attack, those opening to include light earthy and herbal overlays. Plush and opulent, with a long, complex finish. Among the best ever made in Israel. Indeed, the only wine in the country to earn such a score from me. Drink now–2013. Score 95.

Several Whites

Domaine du Castel, “C”, Chardonnay, Blanc du Castel, 2005: Developed beautifully, still a peaches and cream wine but now in place of the youthful citrus, figs and summer fruits, notes of ripe peaches, pears and toasty oak, all coming together beautifully and leading to a long and elegant finish. Not for further cellaring. Drink now. Score 92.
Golan Heights Winery, Yarden, Chardonnay, Odem Organic Vineyard, 2006: Full-bodied, opening with subtle aromas of figs, pears and apples, going on to show a generous dash of smoky, toasty oak and then blossoming forth with pineapple, citrus peel and minerals leading to a long finish that is simultaneously creamy and bright. Drink now–2013. Score 92.
Golan Heights Winery, Yarden, Viognier, 2006: Calls to mind the white wines of Condrieu and shows a thoroughly traditional Viognier personality. Following an aromatic and floral nose, flavors and aromas of ripe Anjou pears, peaches, spring flowers and minerals, along with hints of citrus. Lively, clean, fresh and long. Drink now. Score 91.

One Sparkling Wine With Which to Open

Golan Heights Winery, Blanc de Blancs, Yarden, 2001: The best Blanc de Blancs to date from the winery. Made from Chardonnay grapes by the traditional methode champenoise, this medium-bodied sparkling wine shows just the right balance between yeasty sourdough bread, peaches, citrus and minerals. With a generous mousse and sharp, well-focused bubbles that go on and on, this crisp and sophisticated wine goes on to a long, mouth-filling finish. Drink now–2012. Score 92.

And one Dessert Wine With Which to Close

Golan Heights Winery, Heightswine, Yarden, 2005: Made entirely from Gewurztraminer grapes frozen at the winery. Pale gold in color, with a complex nose and palate that offers up pineapple, citrus, litchi, orange peel and floral aromas and flavors, those with a light hint of sea water that adds to the wines charm and complexity. Drink now–2012. Score 91. K

I love this thread…it has become a Roll Call for all of us Wine Berserker Jews!

Ps - no idea what I’m going to open.