What wine podcasts are you listening to?

looking forward to listening to the others as well.

I also like MJT’s BWGE but sometimes the production is a bit weak with guests who aren’t used to speaking into a microphone & the producer isn’t riding their levels.

2 Likes

The Jancis Robinson podcast has been a breath of fresh air into the wine podcast realm.

2 Likes

John Szabo and Sarah d’Amato host a podcast called Wine Thieves that does an overview of a region but then goes pretty in depth with interviews with winemakers. And hearing a master somm ask questions of producers and then recap the convo is pretty informative.

1 Like

Wine For Normal People has some incredibly good episodes, especially on lesser known regions and varietals. Elizabeth has her opinions and fully admits it, but she generally aligns well with they way most of this community thinks (except for perhaps her lesser view of Oregon, although she admitted recently from her trip that she found some great producers that changed her view).

Levi Dalton’s interviews on IDTT are some of the best wine podcasts out there. I wish more were being produced, but there’s an extensive back catalog to enjoy.

1 Like

Levi’s “I’ll drink to that” has been my go to for several years, but have about run out of back episodes to listen to.

“Bedrock Wine Conversations” is always a great listen. If you haven’t done so, check out the current episode (#36) with Mike Officer of Carlisle. Chris does a great job with all the episodes, and Morgan’s expertise is always appreciated. Sound quality is always excellent, a big plus as I usually listen during my commute.

I’ve recently enjoyed listening to Geologist Brenna Quigley’s “Roadside Terroir”. Always interesting, although sometimes ‘over-produced’, NPR style. Much of it is recorded outdoors in vineyards, so sound quality can be challenging if listening through car speakers rather than a headset… Season 2 has focused on the various terroirs of Burgundy, from the perspective of a geologist.

Cheers!

Steve

8 Likes

Does anyone know what happened? I keep checking for new episodes and it looks like they may be done for good. I have some back catalog left, but I can already tell that it’s not going to last forever. Also, so many rising stars who would be deserving!

1 Like

cool - didn’t realize she had one…

1 Like

I don’t have any inside info but he has publicly commented that his occasional requests for donations from listeners did not generate much of a response.

1 Like

Just a thought: I wonder if a subscriber model would work. His work is such a treasure, and I would imagine that some number of people would pay for some form of access. Hard to overstate the value of his contribution.

Edit: I’m sure he’s thought about this, and I’m equally sure there’s some compelling reason he hasn’t pursued subscription models. Still, given how much the community values his work, it’s terribly unfortunate the financial aspect remained so challenging.

2 Likes

I count myself among the many fans of I’ll Drink To That (IDTT). There had a been a slow down in episodes in the past few years, but wanted to give you all a heads up that Levi Dalton has posted a few. Four episodes have come out in the last 3 months. Just want to make sure no one here misses them!

5 Likes

One of the best for sure. And a huge library to go back to

1 Like

Thank you, I didn’t know, and had pretty much given up hope!

1 Like

Almost through listening to Season 2 of Roadside Terroir and it’s been informative and accessible. The variety of people she brings on to share tidbits at opportune moments makes the podast for me.

1 Like

Glad to see I’ll Drink To That is back. Easily the best wine podcast I’ve listened to. Levi Dalton does an excellent job.

4 Likes

We can all help to insure more podcasts from Levi at I’ll Drink Too That. Make a small donation. Well worth it for the hours of information and pleasure.

9 Likes

Idtt is such an incredible resource.

I stumbled on “disgorgeous” and want to like it but man is it insufferable.

I think someone mentioned it above but what makes wine podcasts so frustrating is that the hosts assume that the listener is there for them and not the guest. I find the grape nation very frustrating when the host wants to take up most of the air time.

1 Like

On my last Episode of Season 2 of Brenna Quigley’s “Roadside Terroir” and have come to appreciate it even more than when I posted back in Feb (just starting Season 2). Season 2 is a nice primer on the vineyards, producers and terroir of Burgundy, with interesting guests/commentary as Michael notes. One of these days I will have to re-listen to the series with a headset on, as I probably miss 10-20% when listening while commuting,

Also glad to see (hear) that Levi’s back!

Cheers.

Steve

2 Likes

I enjoy IDTT, The Winemakers, Bedrock Wine Conversations, Inside Winemaking and Roadside Terroir a lot. Those are my go to wine podcasts.

I apologize in advance for the self promotion but I recently started a podcast myself called “Indie Wine Podcast” It’s mostly focused on smaller California producers along with some vineyards and farmers, some authors, and some CA wine history. It’s not perfect but some of you might enjoy it. The producers lean low intervention but I find it super interesting how everyone approaches that. I try to let the guests talk, they know more than I do. Some of the guest have been Adam from Sabelli-Frish, Craig from Haarmeyer, Hank from La Clarine Farm, Shaunt from Les Lunes, Longtime writer Mike Dunne, Adam from Perch Wine Co, Chuck Mansfield from Goldbud farms - 22 episodes in so far. Thanks for your time. Holler if you have any suggestions for it.

6 Likes

Yep, I really enjoy the Indie Podcast. Done a great job, Matt. You let the guests take their time and ask great and well-researched questions. It’s become one of my must listens! :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks Adam, I appreciate it! Thanks for believing in it and dropping so much Mission knowledge. Have a great harvest.

1 Like