What wine do you miss most?

Drank my last '69 La Mouline a couple of months ago.

95 and 96 Dalla Valle Cab

What happened to Gentaz? Why are they so rare now?

Great topic. Funny, but because I fear experiencing exactly this sense of loss, I’m often very reluctant to drink my last bottle of anything.

But for me, this is without a doubt 1974 Conn Creek (Eisele) Cabernet. I drank my only bottle 2 years ago and have been unsuccessfully looking for more since. Just a stunning bottle, and a “one-off” to boot, since Eisele went to Phelps after that I think.

Second place, which is more properly a regret/missed opportunity, is late '80s Dominus. Back when I was piss-poor after college, I saw some of these floating around for the then “steep” price of $30-$40, and only bought one (an '87 I think), which I drank way too young, being an ignorant kid. But I wish I’d stocked up on these.

Strange, I am really much more of a pinot noir guy, but my biggest regrets are for cabs. Go figure.

1985 La Mouline . . .

Back in the 1970’s red Burgundy in general was pretty reasonably priced, and it was not THAT much of a stretch for me to buy DRC Echezeaux. I remember the bottles of DRC wines I drank then fondly – there really is a special flavor, in a way it seemed like the wine had a whiff of good Cognac mixed in. I keep thinking that I could afford to do that still but when I look at the prices I really can never bring myself to pull the trigger. So, these wines are hardly unavailable – but they are unavailable to ME and they used to be something I would buy and enjoy. I suppose the same is true of some other red Burgs but the DRC wines are the ones I remember vividly.

Good call,man I loved that wine.For me though 94&95 Breinger Knights Valley cabs.Had my last 95 at Thanksgiving, still kicking.We must have gone thru 20+ cases. flirtysmile

Marius Gentaz-Dervieux retired I think in '93 and I know Rene Rostaing, his nephew, got some of, if not all of, the vineyard.

Too many to list. Off the top of my head:

'78, '79 and '80 Echezeaux, Henri Jayer
'79 and '80 V-R “Cros Parantoux”, Henri Jayer
'78 Chambolle-Musigny “Amoureuses” and Bonnes-Mares, Robert Groffier
'78 Batard-Montrachet, Jean-Noel Gagnard
'67 Ch. d’Yquem
'66 Dom Perignon

There’s a ton of CA wines, too. I’ll get to those later, but it’s time for a meeting.

Rayas:
'89
'90
'85
'88

By FAR, these wines call me on a regular basis. I miss them terribly. And as Gerhard said earlier, you can’t even splurge and pick some up at crazy prices, because the did not brand corks and the only way to tell was the ridiculously easy triangle sticker they put the year on, and it was on the neck. WAY too easy to fraudulently change vintages. [swearing.gif]

Clair dau Bonnes Mares 1983

I currently miss '71 Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese the most.

I predict that some day I will miss Truchot more.

Short meeting… [basic-smile.gif]

Well, after thinking about it, many of the CA wines I was going to list might be dead at this point.

'80 Heitz Cab “Martha’s Vnyd” (magnum)
'74 Mt. Eden Cab
'76 Tulocay Cab (Napa) - this wine swept two blind tastings of the top '76 Cabs

'61 Lynch Bages
'61 Cos d’Estournel
'54 Laville Haut Brion (birth year wine and way too young when I drank it for my b-day in the late 80s)

1974 Villa Mt Eden Cab

1968 BV PR

1970 BV PR

Charles Krug Chenin Blancs from the 1960

1968 Sutter Home, Lot 2, Zin (Deaver)

1964 Louis Martini Special Selection

Ooo, I used to have a bottle of that! Great stuff in its time.

Does remind me that I wish I had my few bottles of old Swan Zin pre-1975.

Gentaz, Trollat, Verset, Truchot, Vatan

Missed because reloading would be so much more expensive:
1990 Dom Perignon Rose
1990 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Romanee St. Vivant

Missed because they’re hard to find:
1990 Ponzi Pinot Noir Reserve
1972 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Romanee St. Vivant

For sentimental reasons, 1968 BV Private Reserve.

Not a chance. Charlie Olken gave me a bottle of this 12 years ago and it was incredibly youthful at that point. I’d guess that right now it would be about perfect.

I wish I had more of your '71 Huet also! I can only imagine the prices you obtained them for…