What wine did you not buy today?

Rhys…for sure. Too pricey here in Quebec, Canada.

Somehow that sounds disgusting champagne.gif

Heh!

Most of the people are buying (or not buying) from lists. I generally am targeting wines to buy, and if priced properly will take them.

Same here. Never been on a list.

Ned, sounds like you have tons o juice.
When did you start purchasing and has your palate shifted much? Was there a general progression from one style or region to another?

All the ones I’m not writing about! [tease.gif]

Vins Rare had a nice offering of 2008 Champagnes and I had to use two hands to hit the delete button rather than go directly to the site for a purchase.

2015 Montevertine Le Pergole Torte… took a lot of restraint…

Cellar d’Or had a very nice price.

In that case, drink up !!! [cheers.gif]

We’re trying to kick our savings into overdrive so we’re basically only buying a narrow band of things for the near future. We recently passed on the newest Delmas, Horsepower, and Leonetti offers and dropped most of our wine clubs this winter/spring. There have been a few screaming opportunistic deals on cellar defender stuff we know we like but don’t strictly need that we’ve passed on in the last few weeks that I feel pretty good about. For the foreseeable future we’re pretty much only buying select 2015/16 Rhone stuff and 2015 Burgundy for the cellar before it’s gone, and, when we have extra cash, socking away some Prum that we found locally.

We’ve got enough CA pinot, WA bdx and syrah, and misc whites to last us a while, plus WA '11s and '12s are just starting to get good so we can crack into those as the mood strikes us.

I passed on two Californian mailing lists which I usually max out on, likely dropped forever. I can think of another one which after this spring will go as well. Down to 5-6 lists, from which I typically don’t buy more than six bottles per mailer.

More to the point of the question, last night was filling out my second case with Fass Selections prior to spring shipping. Passed on a LOT of higher end Northern Rhone wines and Piedmontese wines in favor of bottles under $30. The days of stocking up on Cote-Rotie and Barolo are over. And every week on Winebid I reduce the number of bids placed, again all at or under $30.

I’ll miss the fun of the chase and the satisfaction of the acquisitive ego. But the family has sizeable debts, house needs a new roof, soon to have two kids in college. Time to be an adult about this hobby.

I haven’t bought any of the wine emails you forwarded me today Alan ;p

Kogod: Joseph Colin offer
My Wine Deals: Mags of Vouette & Sorbée Champagne Fidèle Extra Brut R12
Some Good Wine: Paolo Bea range
Envoyer: Legras Champagne, Nikolaihof Riesling.
delete, delete and repeat. no room at home

Only difficult pass for me this week were pre-arrival 2008 DP mags. It just irks me that the mags are 3 1/2 x’s the price of what I paid for the 750’s.

I’ve passed on any number of offers for '13 Barolo and Barbaresco recently, which I guess are being closed out for the '14s and '15s. I love the '13 vintage, but like many of you, I’ve got lots of wine, and I don’t really need a lot of wine that needs 15+ years to really come into its own. (I’ll be put to the test with the '16s, however, judging by the Nebbiolo d’Albas I’ve tasted.)

Well, of course you did :slight_smile:

Several years ago I dropped off the Scarecrow list. They admonished me that by not ordering I would be placed at the end of the list. I guess I am back up. I wonder if by passing on the 2016 vintage they will put me back on the merry go round.

Once and future Mataro. But I’ll probably buy some next week [truce.gif]