What Was The Last Syrah That You Drank?

1995 Clape Cornas - Put it in the “Outstanding” category

Northern Rhone is like my edgy super-model.

'10 Arnot Roberts Griffin’s Lair
'11 Bedrock Kick Ranch
'11 Wind Gap Sonoma Coast
'09 Lagier Meredith Mt. Veeder
09 Bedrock Hudson T Block
'09 Big Basin “Rattlesnake Rock”

2001 Alban Lorraine
2008 Cayuse Bionic Frog

Both were outstanding!

Bragger!!!

So how is the 2011 Lagier Meredith, Mike? Just got their email.

Robert, I haven’t had the '11, but I’ll be placing my order soon. I’ve yet to be disappointed by L-M Mt. Veeder Syrah!

2007 Lagier Meredith - consistently good

2011 Clos du Mont Olivet Monteuil La Levade Vieille Vignes. It may only have a small % of syrah but has to pound the table here … this was not good!

I don’t buy or drink very much syrah anymore, but I pulled out a couple of bottles last night, at dinner at The Playground with a couple who are getting into wine and are at the stage of liking really big boys.

We had the 2005 Lewis Alec’s Blend (a cab-syrah-merlot blend) and the 2004 Shafer Relentless. The Lewis was good, not great, and good within the Lewis style that I know is not popular on WB. The Relentless was much better. I think at around the 9-10 year mark from the vintage, Relentless begins to uncoil from that dense brooding core, and this was starting to show some lovely florals, intense purple berry fruit, graphite, and no overt oak.

I don’t still buy Relentless, but the handful I have are a treat once a year or so when I open them, particularly now that they are starting to get to a good age.

2000 Lagier Meredith Mt. Veeder

delish!

2011 Campesino Syrah Sangiacomo Old Lakeville Vineyard
2010 Yann Chave Crozes-Hermitage

Enjoyed both!

Last Saturday night among other wines with friends:
2006 Lewis Syrah
2007 Carlisle Rosella’s Vineyard

2011 Quivet Cellars Syrah Hulda Block Las Madres Vineyard
More on the way. Love this stuff.

2006 Alesia Fairview Ranch Vyd. Syrah. In the glass right now.

Agree, that wine is drinking beautifully right now

The 11 is really nice. Touch leaner, more acidity than “average,” probably more Rhone-ish than most vintages of LM. I’m hoping it evolves into another 1998 LM, which is a great wine.

2006 Cabot Humboldt

2008 Cabot Humboldt

2008 Copain Halcon Vyd. earlier this week. Very good, but should be better with more time.

2003 Sorrel Le Greal - one of the wines this past weekend.

Quivet Kenefick Ranch 2011, really starting to sing best bottle yet…