What vertical(s) are you building in your cellar?

I’ve got a nice Hartwell XX thing going and will keep going hopefully. With luck, a few more vintages of Dr Crane and To Kalon will give me a trifecta there that I’ll keep up with.

1 Like

My Bordeaux buying was sort of random from year to year based somewhat on reviews but more so on me not being sure what to focus on vs explore. One outcome was an unplanned acquisition of Pontet Canet and Canon La Gaffeliere verticals both back to 1998.

1 Like

Had some 40th Anniversary 2012 Caymus,
so I bought the 2022 50th Anniversary
and some 2002, not marked as Anniversary
and some 1992. Just had to do it.

1 Like

MacDonald 2009-current
Scarecrow 2003-current, minus the ‘04 vintage if anyone has one I can acquire !

2 Likes

Wines I buy every (almost) every year and hence have a decent vertical of are:

Foillard Cote du Py
Jamet Cote Rotie
Allemand Reynard and Chaillot
Levet Chavaroche
Gonon St Joseph
Bernaudeau Nourrissons
various Ganevat cuvées
and many more

I don’t plan to save any of these for a vertical tasting but I’m also not ruling it out. The wines that excite me, excite me (almost) every year and I find it fascinating to see the difference vintage to vintage

3 Likes

Dunn Howell Mountain but price escalation is creeping up.

2 Likes

So, the oldest I’ve really had is around ~10-11ish years from vintage (both the 2013 in the last year or so and then some 2009s a few years back). I don’t really know that the plan is to test that toooo much further (I absolutely adore them at 5-10–years old), but also I wouldn’t be shocked if you told me that a 20+ year old bottle was sublime. So a few may get held back for science.

As for how they change…the big thing is that the fruit fades into the background even further and the wines become more savory. First it’s herbs and salt, then often the savoriness and nuttiness comes out. I’ve found the wines can go through periods where they’re open and closed aromatically, but in general the palate tends to stay pretty compelling. This transformation is definitely not for everyone—if you think they defy convention about what “rosé” should be when they’re young, that increases with age. Definitely a wine to drink with food at all stages, especially so as they rest, but they also tend to be absolute dynamite pairings with bottle age, in my book.

1 Like

Spottswoode 2012-2020. Didn’t buy the 21’. So much harder to justify pricing when I can buy BDX for a fraction of the cost.

Robert Craig is probably my longest current vertical 12’-21’ from Napa

Thanks, Saul. I’m new to this bottling and love it. From your description, it sounds like I may prefer them on the younger side but I’m going to age at least one to see. I just drank my last '20, though, but I have '21. I love their take on rosé but if it starts getting oxidative with age, I’d enjoy it more before that stage arrives.

What a great question.

I have also secretly been building a vertical of dönnhoff niederhäuser hermannshöhle riesling spätlese. It’s the first wine I remember drinking with Nicole (and have a picture!). At some point will do a reveal.

Besides that, Tempier and Jamet are probably the leading contenders.

3 Likes

There are back vintages of Clos Cibonne Vignettes currently available. I have had the 2016 and 2018 sort of recently and I thought they were outstanding.

2 Likes

I have Turley Hayne PS 1996 to 2006, missing two years, would be happy to compare notes.

I’ll re-check the vintages!

Christian Moreau Les Clos

But I fear 2022 might be the end given price trends.

Tensley Colson Canyon 2018-2022
Andrew Murray Watch Hill Syrah 2019-2022
Lionel Faury Saint Joseph VV 2015-2019

Verticals are tough for me. I have a lot of Fourrier from 14 - 22 for example, but purchased pretty sparingly in 18 and 21, and pretty heavy in 15, 16, 17 and 19 so I have plenty of 3 year verticals, but inevitably I skip a vintage here or there depending on the producer.

1 Like

Good for you, my attempt or lack therof, ended when I drank all the 2013 before the 2014 was released…then repeated for almoat every vintage up to 2019.

I am able to keep my mitts off mags.

1 Like

If we’re in the same place again, I’ll bring that 12 Aux Echezeaux!

1 Like

I’ve mostly stopped buying and dropped off of lists. The only verticals I’ll keep adding to are:

MacDonald (‘10 on)
Maybe Ridge Montebello ‘12 on, but I’m probably dropping that
I have good verticals of Krug GC, Cristal, Comtes, Vilmart CdC and Emotion, Billecart Elisabeth and Nicolas. I’ll buy small amounts or trade for future vintages. Also Larmandier-Bernier Levant and Bruno Lorenzon but I only have a couple of vintages.
The only new vertical I’ll make is Kobayashi.

2 Likes

Vina Tondonia Reserva BLANCO 2004-12. Finally plugged the 2008 hole with a case. That 2008 proved tricky to locate

2 Likes