What unusual wines/regions do you love?

You have lots of options.

If you have not explored Swabia, you should. Spatburgunder/Pinot, Trollinger/Schiava and Riesling are the primary grapes. You should be able to find some Knauss, Beurer and Enderle&Moll though hip retailers.

If you like Loire, have you moved West to explore Muscadet?

If you have discovered Jura, have you looked into Pfifferling’s wines from Tavel?

Alsace and Austria are huge regions with excellent and historic producers. Riesling is a wide and deep rabbit hole to go down…

Portugal. Specifically Herdade do Mouchao from the Alentejo. Fantastic old school wine, but not at all rustic. Ages wonderfully. I’m looking for older vintages. The Dao, Quinta de Pellada and Saes. Both run by Mr. Crasto. The Carrosel blend is fantastic as is their Encruzado. In Barriada, both Luis Pato and his daughter Phillipa Pato. Both red and whites. And that’s not talking about the Douro, Tejo, or Vinho Verde.

Also, incredible wines from the South of Italy abound. Howard mentioned Taurasi, but Aglianico has many expressions, of which Taurasi is merely one. Would also explore Nerello and Negroamaro-based wines. Look at the wonderful wines of Sicily. Seek out Elena Fucci’s Titolo, just as a readily available example.

Amazing suggestions, all. Thanks so much! I’ll start to work through them slowly…

Ballard Canyon.

Wines from the paradise island of Cyprus. A bottle of 2014 Yiannoudi from Vouni Banayia that I drank about 2 weeks ago was enjoyable.

Blaufränkisch from Burgenland or from Carnuntum

While I wouldn’t say I love it, my brother introduced me to Jura wines several years ago and I enjoy them on occasion. I think the specific appellation was Arbois.

Does the Bible really say that? Wow!! Where. Seems horrible if it does.

Yeah, I think it’s in Ecclesiastes. Not really horrible if you think about it, merely stating that mankind really has nothing new up its sleeves. I find it akin to something I saw this week, that there are only 6 or 9 (can’t remember exactly) plots in literature. We can keep saying something is different, but it really is a variation on a theme.

Any recommendations? I’ve tried one, liked it, but just not familiar with the producers.

Back to the OP, I really love mature Colares. Incredibly unique wines.

+1

I’m not sure these are in the very top leagues of wine, but well worth exploring:

+1 When you are in the mood for a light, very floral red.

+1 I read recently that the vines on Santorini are all ungrafted; phylloxera never reached the island. I wonder if that helps explain the complexity of these wines.

To all of these, I would add:

• Whites from the Alto Adige in Italy – German grapes such as riesling and Muller-Thurgau and Kerner.

• Nebbiolo from outside the Langhe, such as Gattinara. Somewhat lighter than Barolo and Barbaresco, but capable of great finesse.

• Narince (pronounced nah-rin-juh), a native white Turkish grape from the Aegean coast and islands that shows a lot of complexity and depth. Vinkara and Kavaklıdere make decent ones that are available in the U.S. Try to get the unoaked versions if you can. I think they’re more distinctive.

• Kalecik Karasi (pronounced kah-leh-jik kah-rah-si), a native red Turkish grape grown around Ankara that can produce surprisingly light (for a hot climate) reds with almost pinot-like red fruit aromas. Again, Vinkara and Kavaklıdere are the ones you’re likely to find here.

That’s exactly the problem I have in answering this question: what counts as unusual?

Nonetheless, I’ll put forth the following:

Cerdon du Bugey
Alto-Adige Lagrein
Frappatto
Ribiera Sacra
red Chassagne-Montrachet
dry + sparking Furmint
Ribolla Gialla

Mastroberardino, Caggiano and Perillo pop into my mind. And yes, old Colares wines are really something.

Agree with all your suggestions here, great wines - although in my books Alto Adige wines or Piedmontese Nebbiolos are anything but unusual. :smiley: Turkish grapes, on the other hand, are well within the boundaries of more eccentric wine suggestions. If I may add, also wines made from Papaskarasi grapes are worth exploring.

Agree. As there’s no definition of “unusual”, it’s rather entertaining to see how stuff you’ve drunk most of your vinous life is unusual to some. However, I’d agree that your list of wines is pretty much in the unusual end.

Corsica has a nice expression of grenache (cannonau) and great rosés (Marquiliani, for one).

+for Ribolla and Friulano from Collio and Slovenia

I actually started to think some unusual wines and regions for people who are interested in the more eccentric end of the wine world.

Some obvious and better-known examples:

• Aged Hunter Valley Sémillons (this is so well-known style that it really isn’t even unusual, yet it’s rather rare to see anybody drinking them nowadays)
  • Chateau Musar
  • Frank Cornelissen
  • Jurancon wines
  • Massandra
  • Nicolas Joly
  • Txakoli

Then on to the darker side:

• Aosta Valley wines
  • Asturian wine
  • Bugey and Savoie
  • Carcavelos
  • Carema
  • Colares
  • Dingac and Postup
  • Fief-Vendéens
  • Georgian wines made from other than Rkatsiteli or Saperavi grapes
  • Japanese wines made from other than Koshu grapes
  • Klevener de Heiligenstein
  • Lorraine wines
  • Morellino varietal wines
  • Rosés des Riceys
  • Schilcher and Schilchersekt
  • Slovakian wines (Alibernet, Devín, Dunaj, Neronet, Palava and Slovakian Tokaj)
  • Somlói whites (Juhfark, Furmint and Harslevelu)
  • South African “port wines”
  • Sparkling orange wines
  • The red wines of Galicia
  • The red wines of Santorini
  • Turkish wines besides those made by Kavaklidere
  • Wines from the Canary Isles

Truly random, not always worth exploring:

• African wines outside South Africa
  • Baltic wines
  • Chinese wines
  • Nordic wines
  • Russian wines
  • Thai wines
  • Wines from the Benelux countries

How old is mature Colares? I see the currently released vintages are about 10 years old already.

Just another example of a wine I didn’t even know existed…

How old is mature Colares? I see the currently released vintages are about 10 years old already.

Lots from the 50’s around. Even from the 1930’s are not too hard to find and are drinking wonderfully. If you like Colares, you also might like Caves Sao Joao. They have wines from both the Dao and Bairrada (and even a blend of the two, although this is no longer allowed by the EU.)

One of the most distinctive and interesting (as well as delicious) wines I’ve had recently was a Schioppettino by Ronchi di Cialla, from Friuli.
Really beautiful and intriguing stuff, can age, and is great with Italian food. I must have had my nose in that glass for 45 minutes.

I’ve also enjoyed some wines from Corsica, and I’ve gone through about a half dozen bottles of Maestracci “e prove” red from 2014. Tasty, well-fruited, and with a touch of something herbal that you don’t find from mainland France.

Finally, I’d also give a thumbs up to any wine from Chateau Simone. I’ve been fortunate enough to have a friend supply all 3 of them in one sitting (white, red, rose) and they are all delicious, balanced, and full of unique character.