What Trader Joe's Wine Are You Drinking?

Bupkis !

Our TJs have unbeatable prices on Schramsberg, which is a major win. Also good for cheap NZ Sauv Blanc for porch sipping in the heat of Summer. Other than that, not much going on.

Do you recall which 20 year old tawny?

My general rule is to never buy a wine at TJ’s unless I know exactly what it is and how it is. Otherwise my disappointment rate is pretty close to 100%.

We have found a really acidic Muscadet which we use for cooking.

Sounds like great window cleaner.

When I was in a Joe’s recently, I noticed an “Evodia”, which is a decent Spanish Garnacha.

I did get a kick out of a beer called “Petrus”.

Petrus is a legit Belgian brewery and the Aged Pale Ale is a great wild sour ale.

I recently picked up a few wines from Joe’s and found the platinum reserve pinot noir from sonoma was a good $15 value. Seemed to have similar qualities to the $30 ava blend base wines from a lot of common sonoma labels. The $20 Chootey Noofy Doofy Poopy wasn’t bad, but the $7 Pontificus GSM was quite tasty as was its white VRM blend.

In the past i’ve found a decent Valpolicella Ripasso and a very tasty dolcetto, but the sangiovese offerings are very meh. Nebbiolo was hit or miss… they often have a back vintage barolo or barbaresco riserva from odd vintages that are interesting to try for $15-20 but dont expect too much from the $10 and under versions. Tannic acid water that wouldn’t even make a good sauce with.

That reminds me I have a bottle of 1965 TJ’s Tinta Madeira “Port” from back in the day. I’m standing it up now and will probably pop it tonight…

Bruce

Does it say who made it?

“Cellared and Bottled for Trader Joe’s Winery by Chateau Diana Healdsburg, CA.” Alcohol 20% by volume

This bottle has been stored in a passive cellar since I bought it (presumably some time in the mid-1980’s.) Stylistically, it’s like a light brown tawny port–sort of a liquid toffee bar/tootsie roll combo, with the tannins completely resolved. A tasty dessert wine, although certainly not incredibly intense or complex at this point.

Bruce

I don’t remember for certain, but it may have been Niepoort. If not, it was at least in their style.

P Hickner

VINTJS Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley. It’s St. Supery. Great acid, fruit, and grassy note.

Not the Sonoma.

Always a winner for under $8

I drink their label syrah’s…some are quite decent…sometimes ill buy a cheap merlot, cab, cab franc and do some blending for giggles

We’ve enjoyed several of the $10 to 15 Calif. Pinot noirs. They taste like Pinot noir which seems hard to do in that price range.
Good school night wines

been drinking the 2014 pontificis for $6.99, tasty, easy drinking GSM

Revelation chardonnay.

I bought the same last week. Haven’t opened it yet but I had the last vintage last summer and it was a decent QPR.

Quite a recommendation.

there is a very good tempranillo…names escapes me…has a bright orange label…easy to find…same producer has a cab and another blend …great price @$5.99 Solid stuff! This one is the best of their 3