What to pour with shakshouka?

I see Lambrusco mentioned above and I agree. Would also try Gruner, Assyriology, Fino, Musar Blanc, maybe Dolcetto for red.

1 Like

None of which Maureen owns. Well, she has one bottle of Gruner…somewhere.

Interesting list though.

That should have said Assyrtiko. Interesting autocorrect though.

It’s a sign. :wink:

Good point, David

Cru Bojo. Especially if you want to modify the shakshuka with some beets.

Please post a pic of the shakshouka
I want to make this someday

1 Like

If you want to try this without all of the prep work get a package of the Trader Joe’s shakshouka starter, it is excellent.

Barbera.

When I make shakshouka I often drink blaufrankisch because of the paprika…and I maybe go light on the cumin.

Not sure why people are saying this is so tricky… Middle Eastern food is not wine-unfriendly and this one is no exception. Just turns on how heavy you want to spice it. If you’re turning up the heat then go with one of your fruity rieslings, otherwise just think of it as an exotic variation on oeufs en meurette and you can do red or white burg and be pretty happy too. If your prep warrants a little more oomph then Rhone or Provencal grapes enter the picture & if it needs more acidity then we’re at my my personal go-to with Mid East dishes - Dirty & Rowdy mourvedre.

3 Likes

Well, I think I found, er, stumbled upon, the perfect pairing. We drank several (relatively weak) Moscow Mules! Fever Tree ginger beer, lots of lime juice, and a splash of vodka. Yum.

Sorry, no pictures but it turned out great. TJ did make an appearance as I swirled in a couple spoonfuls of zhoug. Some very good harissa too. Lots of toasted cumin too.

Well my virtual Zoom group on Saturday happened to be doing Loire Cab Franc, and as it happened I was making shakshuka for the family right after. The pairing was terrific!

2018 Domaine des Roches Neuves Saumur-Champigny Franc de Pied - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur-Champigny (7/3/2021)
Utterly delicious. A gorgeous and ebullient nose of blackberry tinged with hints of smoke, tobacco and bell pepper. The palate is juicy, energetic, incredibly fresh, just dripping with crunchy fruit, strawberry and cherry and moving to hints of blackberry. Really nice freshness, very nice on its own and exceptional with food. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

We agreed that wine would not be the first choice, but disagreed as to what would be.

1 Like

Very tough match. A dry grower champagne?? Blanc de blanc with good acidity? But truth is it beats the hell out of me.

I’ve solved it: Sabelli Frisch Petit Manseng. The pairing worked great tonight.

My TN:
Gold in color. On the nose: pineapple, mandarin oranges, preserved lemons, toast, vanilla, and a touch of cream. In the mouth: Medium full to full in body, with an acidity that runs through the front to back of the palate that prevents the experience from becoming ponderous. The flavors are bold and there is a palpable concentration on the palate. Warm citrus and tropical fruits along with a pleasant caramelly, toasted marshmallow, type finish that I’m assuming comes from the oak treatment. Lovely balance. The finish is medium in length with a decent complexity.

Wow, I have no recollection of ever making this dish!

The mules must have been great then! :wink: