What Sparkling Wine not named Champagne are you drinking?

Roederer Estate Brut is our go-to. Hard to beat for $20.

Ed

Murgo brut metodo classico is a good pick for $20
100% Nerello Mascalese

Domaine Chandon Brut, it’s awful

Great topic, but some memories that I wish were still here. I have dozens of suggestions and comments, will limit myself and return to this in another post.

Roederer Estate is as wonderful as everybody says.

Departed:
Mountain Dome out of Washington is no longer produced, IMO they were the single best value in American bubbly.

Sorry, just not the same:
Gruet: Has changed hands, few if any bottlings are still New Mexico fruit and IMO quality has declined. A go-to staple for a few decades that I now avoid.

So far under the radar:
Korbel Russian River Valley Natural - haven’t had one for over five years, not sure if this is still Russian River Valley Appellation, but if it is
 it’s possibly the single best value in the world for bubbly. The Real Stuff is vintage dated, no idea what vintage(s) are best now.

Cremant de Savoie

Cremants de Bourgogne and Limoux have already been mentioned. I concur.

Ferrari Brut

non-commercial post: My friend Barry Jackson makes Equinox. Current release is 2001 LD Santa Cruz Moutains. Whew!

More soon.

Dan Kravitz

Renardat-Fùche Vin du Bugey-Cerdon, an off-dry, relatively low alcohol rosé blend of Gamay and Poulsard that is pure liquid joy.

1 Like

Mountain Dome was a cool project.

You’d have to like wines made more in Sekt style, but Treveri is well worth trying, as Jurgen grew up making Sekt in Trier, so they are a cleaner style vs. yeastier style. Some of their vintage dated bottles are really compelling like the 2011, but they are still a young company so age is a function of founding date. All wines are Methode Champenoise.

Agree on Korbel Natural too. Gruet is all America appellation now from Precept.

Schramsberg and Domaine Carneros have some compelling bottlings too.

2014 Sandhi Blanc de Blancs is in my top-5 most memorable sparkling wines over the last year. The matchstick note and the increase in quality with air and temperature reminded me of a PYCM or Walter Scott chard, but with bubbles. Super addictive.

NV Roederer Estate Brut - when we see the splits for sale at Costco, we usually buy a case worth. It’s just right for an apertif.

Schramsberg
Domaine Carneros
Roederer Estate
Caraccioli Cellars

Ultramarine for that special occasion!

champagne.gif

No Moscato d’Asti fans? Arguably the best value in bubbles at $20 or less if you don’t mind the sweeter side of the frizzante spectrum. My favorite producers:

Chiarlo
La Spinetta (Rivetti)
Elio Perrone
Vignaioli di S. Stefano (Ceretto)
Vajra

Jean-Paul Brun’s Charme Blanc de Blancs is excellent value alternative to BdB Champagne
Franck Peillot Vin du Bugey-Montagnieu PĂ©tillant Brut is not that easy to find but if you do better to buy by the case (at least at its normal <15 € pricing)
Extra Brut/Brut Nature Franciacorta often is very pleasant and of high quality but of course the value is not always great and I have yet to try anything that could compete with my favorite grower Champagnes (Egly, Bereche, Chartogne single vineyards etc)

I’m really amazed that there isn’t more Cavas on the list. Recaredo and Gramona both produce high level sparkling, but also I have enjoyed a lot bottlings from JuvĂ© y Camps, AgustĂ­ TorellĂł Mata and Alta Alella.
Just few weeks ago I bought also few bottles of NV Les Caves du Sieur d’Arques CrĂ©mant de Limoux Aimery 1531 Cremant Brut from Languedoc as an easy-going every day bubbles. I think the QPR is fantastic with this one.

One example: NV Domaine Allimant-Laugner CrĂ©mant d’Alsace RosĂ©- great QPR with fresh strawberry notes galore

I already mentioned Mongioia, I’ll add Bera to the list.

How did I forget this? A perennial favorite.

We shared a bottle of 2008 Schramsberg Blanc de Noir last week on the beach in Cape May.
40B23406-5DC0-437B-8AA9-91A07B27A5AE.jpeg

Roederererer is very good QPR as others have mentioned.
Slightly higher price point, but good QPR is Domaine Carneros.
I also like Mumm Blanc de Blanc for $15 too when its hot and you want some bubbles in a pinch.
champagne.gif

1 Like

That is a fantastic wine. For something as fruity and delicious but not sweet, my go to is Francesco Vezzelli Lambrusco di Sorbara. Amazing stuff for the money. Rose sparkling Lambrusco.

Huet, Pinon, Chateau de Breze Cremant from Loire
Thierry Tissot Vin du Bugey Brut
Peter Lauer Riesling Brut

All food friendly and well priced.

Several rosé and red lambrusco, great food wines

I like Juve y Camps but nowhere near as much as Torello. Most of the best Cavas I’ve had have been from them. Have not tried Alta Alella, but will look for it.

Dan Kravitz