What serious producers use all or mostly screwcap closures?

Gunderloch.

La Clarine Farm.

Good point. They even use caps for the GG bottling.

Willakenzie only uses screw caps mainly on their SVD single clonial pinots.

Sineann uses Vino-Seal glass stoppers for all of its wines.

SarcasmWarning.png

It’s unfortunate that many CA wineries use screwcaps only on their most inexpensive wines like a rosé or red blend. That just continues the American perception that screwcaps are cheaper (inferior).

Inman

Nigl

A recent 2005 Riesling Privat was stunningly good

Yes. Thanks for mentioning them. I was thinking that I had forgotten an obvious Austrian producer, and it just was not springing to mind.

I don’t know how much of their production is under screwcap now, but I’m starting to see some FX Pichler Smaragds sealed that way.

Being at the end of the supply chain around the World for corks, NZ winemakers typically got rubbish corks in the 1990s and early 2000s (I heard of cork failure rates for premium wines in the 5-10% range, which obviously isn’t feasible). Between around 2001 and 2003 most premium NZ producers shifted entirely to Stelvin closures (some, for a while, went mostly screwcap, but bottled some wines with cork for the Asian market, however most have now abandoned this). So now, most of the top NZ wines are bottled under screwcap including Ata Rangi, Mt Difficulty SVs, Felton Road, Kumeu River, Neudorf etc etc. Screwcaps don’t seem to have affected their ability to export these wines.

Some top NZ producers, who could secure good quality corks, have however stayed with it (eg Te Mata, Stonyridge and Dry River) and some even went back to cork having done screwcap for a few years (eg Escarpment) or mix it up between screwcap and cork for different premium wines (eg Craggy Range).

The 2001-2003 screwcap closed NZ wines I’ve tasted have all shown as I would expect, showing ‘correct’ development under the screwcap. On the other hand, I’ve had many ‘shot’ cork closed NZ wines from the same era.

BTW, I believe that Laroche has now gone back to cork having a few years under screwcap, because they now believe that they can manage premox with their corks.

All of my recent Mirabais and SVDs have been screw cap.

Scott Paul (where Kelley is winemaker and pretty sure where she makes her own wines) is all screw cap as well.

Watch for Lone Madrone to switch to 100% screw caps soon . . .

Herb Lamb Two Old Dogs wines. The HL cab is still under cork
Molly Dooker
Ponzi has some wines with screw cap

Rulo
Patton Valley
Dennison

It isn’t screwcap but similar…

Ardea Seal - Ponsot

Nearly every serious producer in Australia and New Zealand. And some not so serious ones too.

The 2012 Momtazi and Maresh are also in screw cap. This may be a function of having good her wines at Scott Paul where it is screw cap. I don’t know.

Uses them for all or almost all of their lineup, or just uses them for part of their lineup?