What’s your favorite wine for $15 or less?

I often host guests that aren’t really into wine. I’ve settled on Cloudline (a second label of Domaine Drouhin) as a really nice Pinot Noir to serve these guests. My guests think it’s great, and I still enjoy it at less than $15 per 750ml.

What’s your favorite wine to serve guests who wouldn’t know or care to know the difference between a $15 bottle and a $150 bottle? I’m interested especially in approachable reds.

1 Like

De Negoce has been my life saver when I need wines like that.

3 Likes

Not to add price creep into this thread too soon… but the Berserker Day special Our Wines case worked out to $17/bottle and is the best, I repeat, best Pinot under $20 I’ve ever had. Rivals $50+ bottles.

“Our wine”? Forgive me, but I’m new here. What wine are you talking about? Are you a vintner?

1 Like

Domaine de la Pépière Muscadet

4 Likes

No. I’m far from a vintner, just a home tomato and zucchini grower. Our Wines is the “second” wine from Franny Beck. See link below for more info.

1 Like

Precision Cabernet 2019 or 2020 are available at Costco, at least in southern CA. When on sale, they are $12.99, which is a real deal. For a wine with body, complexity and balance, it’s a no brainer.

1 Like

Vietti Barbera d’Asti

2 Likes

Several of candidates for whites, reds are harder.

For a red, probably La Tour St Bonnet Medoc.

If you can look beyond the somewhat obscure appellation, this has been my best value find in the last 5 years. Added bonus is that Taurino has been releasing this wine with 10 years of age so 2011 is actually the current release.

1 Like

Widely available and about $20 inc tax in some areas:

Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico

1 Like

In Portugal there are an abundance of excellent wines at this price point. It would be difficult to find a disappointing red from Dão, Bairrada or Beira Interior (though there are many other examples) even at this price.

2 Likes

Antonio Vallana e Figlio Campi Raudii

1 Like

I have three wines I regularly buy under $15. These are less about guests and more about go-to weeknight or pizza night wines. The Vallana transcends that but I really like the other two as well. I don’t have a category of inexpensive wines for guests, but I’d gladly serve these to guests if the setting was right (i.e., pizza or pasta casual situation). Otherwise, I just serve guests whatever I want to drink and think they’ll like, regardless of their experience level with wine.

1. Vallana Campi Raudii
  2. Calabretta Cala Cala
  3. Vajra Langhe Rosso

I used to think that but my opinion has now completely reversed, at least at the $15 threshold. There are a few whites I still like which hover around there and might be less with discounts, but none that I regularly buy. There are several I like under $20 though.

I think there is a lot of room under $15 to get wine that would please a lot of people whether they are ‘into’ wines or not. For whites, Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand or France are likely to go over well. I like the SBs from Chidaine and Henri Bourgeois from the Loire region in France, and there are plenty of New Zealand SBs in your price range. Costco carries a pretty decent one under their Kirkland Signature label for << $10. For reds you would get a lot of choices again in the Costco Kirkland Signature low end. For something for the label conscious, Substance CS Cabernet Sauvignon is usually good and right around $15.
I also agree with Michael’s point about serving something you yourself enjoy as a priority. When you are hosting a small group, going up a few to several dollars in your price range will open up all sorts of good wine.
Good luck. Enjoy.

I’ve been keeping 6 bottles each of Ramon Bilbao Crianza, Borsao Garnacha & Kono Sauv Blanc on hand the last year for impromptu get-togethers now that we’re getting together with neighbors more. I think they’re great appetizer/party wines most drinkers find both enjoyable & interesting. These reds are definitely approachable.

2 Likes

Joel Gott Sauvignon Blanc is really good for only $10-12.

1 Like

Pecina Joven for red
Jadot Bourgogne for white

For sparkling it’s hard to beat Gruet.

1 Like